Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Also caught them this year, amazing show! Highly recommended.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Now streaming on spotify:

[​IMG]

arglebargle, Rolltide and myles like this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Underrated album. West coast lyrics over east coast beats. I honestly think we spend too much time talking about NWA, a group whose only good album Ice Cube deserves most of the credit for, and not enough time talking about his solo career.

Scopitone likes this.
  4. Scopitone

Cube could write some lyrics, for sure.

And get creative. I like this version of "It's a Man's World".

5. Scopitone

[​IMG]

Been streaming a bunch of albums today: Wu-Tang, Raekwon, Cube, Mobb Deep, LL Cool J, Run DMC.

Today was a good day. ;)

benzo, havenz, George P and 1 other person like this.
  6. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

I've been re-listening my way through Cube's 90s output lately myself. Enjoyed the somewhat critically reviled Lethal Injection tonight. The 11 minute g-funk jam "Bop Gun (One Nation)" may not rate among his greatest tracks but it's sure fun.

PhantomStranger and 2xUeL like this.
  7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I understand that you're interested in emphasizing Ice Cube's greatness above but I wouldn't go as far as discounting Dre's major contribution to NWA in the process. I also don't see any shortage of praise historically for Cube's albums, and he has four platinum, one double platinum, and two gold albums. :D

benzo likes this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I honestly don't believe Dre really became the talent we know him as today until his (and Snoop's) solo career. Straight Outta Compton had its moments on the production side, and obviously there was "Express Yourself", but I don't think Dre really drove much on that album.

After using the "underrated" term for Cube, I scrolled back up through this thread and realized the entire thread is pointing out "underrated" albums that are probably rated just fine :). I admit I didn't realize how well the Ice Cube library sold. After all, I was the only person I knew that liked The Predator, so clearly I was the only one that bought it, right? :D

havenz likes this.
  9. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the NWA albums as a whole but I do think the production is pretty solid in general ("Alwayz Into Somethin" is a favorite but that's later). I agree that The Chronic sounds like a major step forward for him.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Roon's artist write-up for NWA makes a good point, IMO - after Straight Outta Compton, it became self-parody. The primary audience was well-off suburban kids, so they sort of jumped the shark on "gangsta" to give them what they wanted. Eazy-E and even MC Ren were good vocal talents, but the writing just kind of collapsed without Cube.

George P likes this.
  11. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Gotta disagree when it comes to Eazy-E. He never sounded like a natural, like he always struggled a little to find the pocket...I can only imagine how much he needed to be coached on flow...the movie had a little blip on that which was pretty funny.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

He had a very distinct voice that lent itself well to talking about 1964 Impalas and TEC-9s. That's all I'm really saying there.

hi_watt and George P like this.
  13. Scopitone

I have listened to Eazy Duz It several times this week, for the first time in awhile. Listening right now, in fact.

For the span of one album, I really dig him. I don't know that I would want a whole collection of albums from him. Sadly, we were of course not allowed to make that choice.

Did Dre do the producing on this one? There're some pretty sweet beats, even if the record does get a little samey after a bit.

14. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I think NWA's second album has much better production than Straight Outta Compton. It's rich with layers of beats and samples, whereas Compton is pretty sparse. I'm not so sure that well-off suburban kids were the intended audience, but they sure were the ones buying most of the records.

benzo likes this.
  15. Scopitone

Let's be honest - the poor kids in the ghettos didn't have the $$ to buy a lot of records, I imagine.

But the white kids in Valley did.

16. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Yea, I agree with you. What I meant was that the rich suburban kids might not have been the ones NWA had in mind when making the records.

Scopitone likes this.
  17. Don't sleep on MC Ren as an emcee. All of his solo albums were strong efforts. If any albums can be called underrated, it is his solo work.

havenz and 2xUeL like this.
  18. Scopitone

I was listening to The D.O.C.'s album earlier. I was doing some other stuff, so I was only kind of half listening. I liked what I heard, though.

kanno1ae likes this.
  19. Scopitone

Snoop's like Willie Nelson or Johnny Cash. He crosses over to fans of all genres, from all races and ages. He's just that cool.

poolie and Rolltide like this.
  20. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

D.O.C.'s LP is the best of the lot IMO.

Scopitone and kanno1ae like this.
  21. Scopitone

Pandora gave me this one just now:

Smooth flow.

benzo and 2xUeL like this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

@Gaslight Did you ever get into Mobb Deep?

benzo likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Never really did - my 90's input was limited to more the bigger names in the early 1990's.

Never too late however. :)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

You're really into East Coast Hip-Hop so I always thought you were up on them.

Here's 3 early Mobb Deep songs. This will give you a taste of what they're about.

benzo and Gaslight like this.
  25. JohnnyQuest