Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That box set is fantastic. Much better then the stereo box

fishcane likes this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

I mean the 2014 mono CD versions of the US Albums, not the 2014 mono vinyl reissues of the UK albums...

fishcane likes this.
  3. raq0915

Its not mono, they contain stereo and mono and the hate on the box set is because they didnt use the US masters, so you're literally just paying for the UK albums with different track listings and artwork. If you wanted, you could literally create the box set in iTunes for free if you already own the UK catalogue.

4. slane

slane Forum Resident

No, you don't 'literally' get the UK albums in the US order. The following are the unique US mono mixes included (these are NOT part of the 'UK' CDs):

Long Tall Sally
    I Call Your Name
    And I Love Her
    I'll Cry Instead
    Any Time At All
    When I Get Home
    I'll Be Back
    I Feel Fine
    She's A Woman
    Michelle
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Doctor Robert
    And Your Bird Can Sing

That's ALL the genuine alternate mono mixes. The only thing that's been replaced are some fold down mono mixes, which now use the true mono mixes instead (and most of these are twin-track material, so the difference is usually subtle). All the other mono mixes are the same in the US and the UK anyway, so they are all 100% correct.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    supermd, SixtiesGuy, Klassik and 3 others like this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I get it, sorry.

slane likes this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

oh ok, that makes sense.... I figured there had to be an alternative explanation as I dont really recall anyone having an issue with the 2014 vinyl box!

slane likes this.
  7. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

The only reason why Y&T had the fake stereo was because Capitol was too impatient to wait for them to arrive from England.
    When they did arrive not long after the album was released, Capitol included them on the reel to reel version which was only a few months after the vinyl.
    But we're specifically talking about reissues having different mixes, which doesn't apply to Y&T.

8. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

not by the time of Yellow Submarine. Mono was being phased out....I don't think YS had a mono release in the U.S. at the time...

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Which issue was that? The '78 Purple label reissue? I want to say the duophonic mixes were still being used on Y & T issues well into the seventies (i.e. green and red Capitol reissues)
    As mine and a few other peoples' posts earlier in the discussion point out, unless by "clean" you mean "mint" it is not hard at all to find nice versions of the U.S. albums for cheap. Like I said, I found four of the albums for ten bucks in one fell swoop, given their age probably as nice and clean as yer gonna get at this late date...

e.s. likes this.
  10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And even NM to M copies of the late '70s / early '80s pressings are fairly easy to find at reasonable prices. The purple label C1 pressings can be pricey, but a nice set of '83 rainbow labels would be considerably less expensive than a new pressed run collected into a box.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The "some later issues" of Yesterday & Today that have the US stereo mix are (1) all tape format copies since 1966 [reel-to-reel YT-2553, eight-track 8X2T-2648 and later 8XT-2553, cassette 4XT-2553, and even the four-track 4CL-2553!], (2) Capitol record club LP copies beginning in 1968, (3) many general release LPs pressed at the Winchester plant [indicated by -<| the sideways wine glass] since 1973, the date I use for the LP reissue. The use of old LP stampers with fake stereo, however, continued as late as 1988, the end of LPs.

The Usenet Guide to Beatles Recording Variations ยป

12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I think that the 2014 US Albums box contains the definitive versions of the US mono albums....better than the '04 Capitol album boxes.

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Me too, just a better listen all round while still including all the unique mixes.

14. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Having read all the thread here's what I would want. The best stereo versions I.e NO Dexter Duophonic fold down echo soaked tracks. Use the 2009 Re-Masters but use every rare U.S version that Slane listed plus the Piccolo trumpet ending on Penny Lane, the Mono U.K Remix 11 version of Tomorrow Never Knows. Maybe need to re issue the 1980 Rarities LP with a stereo From Me To You, the 63 or 65 stereo I Want To Hold Your Hand, the 65 stereo mixes of A Hard Days Night & Rubber Soul. Make folk want to buy it.

And it MUST be on the Rainbow label. Do I send that list off to Santa now!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

As I said in the US Albums thread, Apple could have just released a double CD set that collected all of the alternate mixes/longer edits that were not part of the 2009 stereo and mono remasters. Then you could compile any release from anywhere in the world (but all from primary mixes, no secondary mixes like fake-stereo or fold-downs or extra reverb, etc).

MONO
    Ask Me Why (UK single)
    Long Tall Sally (US)
    I Call Your Name (US)
    And I Love Her (US)
    I'll Cry Instead (US)
    Any Time At All (US)
    When I Get Home (US)
    I'll Be Back (US)
    I Feel Fine (US)
    She's A Woman (US)
    Michelle (US)
    Doctor Robert (US)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (US)
    I'm Only Sleeping (US)
    Tomorrow Never Knows (withdrawn UK)
    Penny Lane (US promo)
    I Am The Walrus (US single)

STEREO
    I Want To Hold Your Hand (Australia, 1963 mix)
    All My Loving (German, with hi-hat intro)
    Long Tall Sally (US)
    I Call Your Name (US)
    I Feel Fine (UK, with whispering intro)
    She's A Woman (EP, with count-in)
    Help! (US, with instrumental intro)
    I'm Looking Through You (US, with false starts)
    The Word (US)
    We Can Work It Out (US)
    Day Tripper (US)
    Doctor Robert (US)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (US)
    I'm Only Sleeping (US)
    Strawberry Fields Forever (US, 1966 mix)
    A Day In The Life (CD, without crossfaded intro)
    I Am The Walrus (German, same mix as US but with full intro)
    Bonus Tracks:
    Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand (US master)
    I Want To Hold Your Hand (1965 mix)

16. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

It should read Help! not Hard Days Night on my previous post. Stupid mistake. Whilst I'm on can one of the experts tell me which version of I Want To Hold Your Hand I have. I have the Far East (Singapore) LP The Beatles greatest Hits Vol 1 S-LPEA 1001 & The Aussie 23 Number ones From 1983. Are they both the 1963 mix? If so where would I find the '65 mix? Thanks.

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Going from memory so not 100%, but I think GH is the 1965 mix and #1's is the 1963 mix. The common mix on Past Masters etc. is the 1966 mix.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  18. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Thank you for keeping it real.

I think Apple Corps could have placated many fans of the original Capitol albums by issuing with the 2014 US albums set a "bonus" disc that contained the relatively few fully "Dexterized" tracks. Even though I grew up with the Capitol albums, once I heard the original, UK albums, I never went back: sonically superior in every way. This for me is reinforced whenever I hear something from a US album. Yes, it may be the way I originally heard them, but then again for the full, low-fi effect, as someone here stated earlier, I'd need to play them on a 1960's phonograph... or through an AM radio.

cakeordeath, Onder and slane like this.
  19. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

.... to each his own. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that anyone would want U.S. Capitol albums that do not use the U.S. Capitol master tapes. It makes no sense......which is probably why they did just that in 2014.

905 and raq0915 like this.
  20. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

It's really not hard to understand. Some of us like the US albums for the track sequence, the included singles, the cover art...and at the same time do NOT like the sound quality of the original Capitol albums, especially the awful fake stereo.

21. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

But the dexterized tracks had already been officially released in the Capitol boxes. The point of the 2014 box was to present an upgraded version of the US albums, preserving the unique mixes but disposing of the tampering (the same way that in the UK catalog the few duophonic tracks have disappeared). Sure, it has a couple of important mistakes (lack of a few unique stereo mixes in the Second Album and Y&T, the use of 87 remixes), but apart from that, it succeeds in its purpose.

cakeordeath and ibanez_ax like this.
  22. raq0915

... so why not just rearrange the track listing in iTunes or something? Its not that hard to do

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

From the 2009 remasters? You wouldn't get the alternate mixes that way (did you look at the list earlier? have you listened to them?)

24. raq0915

Did you read who I was responding to? Someone said they like the UK mixes and the US track listing, so I said why not just rearrange the tracks in iTunes?

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

I don't think they said anything about the UK mixes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.