Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I've played about 10 movie discs so far and the only freeze/hiccup was on the first one. I played the BD's of The Conspirator and From Here To Eternity this morning...no burfs, no barfs, no problemas....nein, nil.

SteelyTom likes this.
  2. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to getting a 203. I'm currently running the Samsung 4k player through my LG OLEDE65P. I want the Dolby Vision functionality for the future. Plus, I'm extremely happy OPPO has traded in ESS for AKM. AKM chips tend to sound much smoother than Sabre-based solutions.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

More like traded in Cirrus Logic for AKM. The entry players have typically used CL while the step up models usually have ESS.

Linger63 likes this.
  4. Russell Weston

The 203 uses the AK4458VM chip for decoding
    Edit: yeah, the 103 used a CL chip. And I still dislike ESS ever since I owned my oppo HA-1. It tended to have an edgy sound.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, of course. The xx3 players never used ESS.

6. Russell Weston

Gotcha. Edited above

7. Rachael Bee

I've played near 20 videodiscs now and have not had a freeze since the first disc played.

Robert van Diggele and Bill Mac like this.
  8. Rachael Bee

"Houston, we have a problem" The Deepwater Horizon UHD-BD would not load last night. The 203 called it an "Unknown Disc".

9. I read on the AVS forum that there is a known problem with triple-layer discs like that one. Apparently, Oppo is working on a potential fix that may appear in a future firmware update.

10. Rachael Bee

Deepwater Horizon isn't even a long flick....triple layer....like a Whopper with a bacon roof... ;) ....hmnnn. I'll have to try it in the Samsung 8500.

Kristofa and Linger63 like this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Try firmware UDP20X-33-1229B. But that disc may have some manufacturing issues.

12. Rachael Bee

I'll try the firmware. I'm also gonna try it in the Samsung 8500. If neither player can make it, snap, crackle, and pop, well. I may return the disc.

13. Linger63 likes this.
  14. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

My UDP quit reading discs over the weekend and the eject button only worked intermittently. I upgraded to the latest beta firmware release and it fixed the issue. I suspect others who have disc issues may benefit from upgrading the firmware.

15. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Hey guys and gals, I just received my Christmas gift from the wife, the UDP 203. I'm beyond excited. As I begin set-up, I'm here wondering if my receiver is up to snuff in regards to optimizing my new Oppo.

I've got a Denon AVR 1613 which has served me well the past few years in my TV/SACD set-up but is it good enough for this new component? Outside of my turntable, this is my most expensive unit.

My TV is a five year old Phillips which I know needs an upgrade but if my Denon isn't good enough, what should I look at as an upgrade?

Thanks!

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Your receiver is good to go right now. HDMI connex, modern codec capability. However, any sound you hear will be by way of the receiver's processing, and not the Oppo. If you want to hear any difference the Oppo makes, you would need an AVR with multichannel analog connections. Anymore, that's restricted to the more expensive AVRs. Again, you can enjoy hi-res audio right now.

I presume your 5-yr old TV has HDMI connex and is 1080p. Hook up and enjoy. You can get a 4K TV later when there is more content available.

Matt I, seaisletim and Kristofa like this.
  17. seaisletim

Very helpful response. Thank you!

My tv is indeed 1080p and has a few hdmi ports. When I do look to upgrade my receiver, now I'll be looking for multichannel analog connections.

gd0 likes this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you're buying new, you're probably looking at $2K for such a feature.

19. seaisletim

Stop!

BeatlesBop likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I see no need to use the 5/7.1 analog output of the 203. If you decide to get a new AVR use HDMI and focus on better features (room correction, power etc.) than spending additional money to get a 5/7.1 analog input.

Linger63, seaisletim and Rachael Bee like this.
  21. Rachael Bee

I never have changed my firmware in my 203. I hooked my Samsung 8500 up to see if it would play Deepwater Horizon. It did not. After I took the disc out, I looked at the play-side. The clear coat over the disc was split and peeling off in one area. I didn't see that when I last removed the disc from the 203. The lights might have been dimmed at the time, but I do recall checking the play side. I didn't notice anything then.

I'll try the replacement copy tonight.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

My Oppo 203 arrived last week and it has exceeded my expectations. My previous CD/DVD players were fairly cheap and almost ten years old. The difference in sound and picture quality is simply striking. It's been fun finally listening to the SACD layers of the hybrid discs I've had for years. I wish I could have gotten this machine sooner. It really does almost everything I've wanted in a disc player.

23. seaisletim

Agreed. It's a cut above every player I've ever owned. Enjoy!

24. Rachael Bee

I was pleasantly surprised by how well my 203 played my In Harm's Way DVD last night.

25. Same here. It turns out that I already owned about 75 SACD hybrid titles, but I never had a player for them until now. :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.