Six Million Dollar Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

You're right, it was the Six Million Dollar Man action figure with the rubber skin.

I have to admit, I called them dolls back then.
    Luckily, I had three older brothers who knew action figures from dolls.
    I never got the Jaimie Sommers doll, I mean action figure.
    I had to make do with a Barbie action figure, I mean, doll.
    Seems to me, Steve Austin didn't fit in Barbie's car. Too bad for both of them!

CoryS and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  2. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I wanted one too but it cost some outrageously high price like $8! Who had $8 back then? I used to go down to the store to look through the eye and peel back the second skin to look at his bionics though. I also wanted the large Darth Vader action figure but if I recall correctly that was even more expensive. Something like $12.

Chad

MikeInFla and Peace N. Love like this.
  3. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Looks like he is trying to resemble the Six Dollar Man action figure with whatever he has done to his face.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I watched the two movies and the first season from the box set a while back. Surprisingly, they were still entertaining. I think the show got more juvenile as it went along, but it starts out as a pretty standard 70s cop/spy show.

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Ha! I had almost exactly the same experience at a Toys R Us here in Houston, except it wasn't a grand opening but a store that had been open for a while. I assume he was making personal appearances at quite a few of them around the country when 6M$M was at the height of its popularity. After we'd waited for several hours in a line that extended well into the parking lot, someone came out and announced that due to time constraints they were changing the process a bit. They stopped letting people into the store for the quick meet-and-greet, and Majors just went down the line briefly shaking everyone's hand before he had to leave. My awestruck best friend promptly announced that he was never washing his hand again. :D

Majors lives in Houston now, but seems to keep a pretty low profile.

tank64 likes this.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love the show. I still have this.

[​IMG]

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

like many people here......I also had one of the Austin figures.
    As the pilot aired in 1973 we can't really blame Star Wars for tying in toys to movies/TV shows.

It would be interesting to find out the earliest/or whatever started the selling of associated toys with fictional TV/Film characters,
    I did also have the James Bond DB5 around the same time............but don't ask me which came first?..........although Goldfinger was made 9 years prior to TSMDM.

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ya know, I'm rather surprised they haven't turned this series into a movie. With Tom Cruise or something.

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One of my first avatars here...
    [​IMG]

11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I was at that too. OT but God I miss the Gratiot Drive in.
    I still have some of the comics.
    [​IMG]

MikeInFla, Hall Cat and Jose Jones like this.
  12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I lived in a college dorm when this show was hot. One color TV in the whole place and it was in the dorm lobby.
    Outside of football season, the lobby filled up for three events: 1. Six Million Dollar Man 2. Happy Days 3. Kung Fu

Hall Cat likes this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I remember loving this show for a while as a kid, and the anticipation over the bigfoot episode with Lindsay Wagner was huge. I'm sure it all looks pretty silly now.

I saw an episode of The Bionic Woman in syndication in the 90s, though, and I was surprised at how well it had held up. Unusual and suspenseful, and Wagner had an interesting presence (see also her appearances on The Rockford Files).

blutiga likes this.
  14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Lee Majors and Doug McClure were gods when I was a kid.

I had the SMDM figure and I got the spaceship/medical centre too for my birthday one year.

Not a show I have wanted to go back to as I don't want it spoilt. Plus as an adult with a more engineering led mind, I do wonder how his un-modified spine etc. would have held up lifting and jumping etc.

I'm over thinking it aren't I?

Jack Lord, blutiga and MikeInFla like this.
  15. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

It goes back at least to Charlie Chaplin.

[​IMG]

blutiga, Solaris and Quadboy like this.
  16. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I opted to revisit the series a few years ago. While I enjoyed it, the 'suspension of disbelief' becomes quite difficult & turns some scenes into outright comedy.
    How can one not laugh when you hear air ratchet sounds as Steve removes the lug nuts from a car? I recall one scene where he removes the wheel/tire without removing the nuts & yet the car never moved as he tore it off & tossed it at the bad guys.

There's plenty of other examples but it doesn't really take away from the fun of watching them since the nostalgia effect is so strong.
    I did watch quite a few episodes of the Bionic Woman also. I wasn't into it as a kid, so many of those were new to me. Amazing how they handed her the weak stories that astronaut Steve couldn't bother with. I did reassess Lindsey Wagner though. She was much better looking than I realized back then.

Jack Lord, Hall Cat and daglesj like this.
  17. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

They are. Mark Wallburg is going to star.

18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I wish that one of the film score boutique labels would release some of Oliver Nelson's music from this show.

blutiga and SonOfAlerik like this.
  19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's one of the reason I enjoyed the original novel the series was based on: Cyborg by Martin Caidin. In the novel Austin does have super-human abilities due to his cybernetic body parts but they were realistic (including enhanced gripping ability but not the ability to lift massive weights, enhanced physical endurance due to his heart and lungs only having to support one arm, his artificial eye can't see but it contains a camera). The focus on the later part of the novel was more of a "James Bond" type of adventure.

daglesj likes this.
  20. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

He actually appears in one 2-part episode: "The Deadly Countdown."

21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Finally got a chance to give it a quick watch and I have to say I really enjoyed "Day Of The Robot". As a kid the episode really creeped me out but it might have been the sfx used for the evil robot. Looking forward to watching more episodes (yeah, I skipped around and went straight for the one I really wanted to see from season 1). brought it with me as I am out of town on business. Gives me something to do in the evening at the boring hotel.

22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Steve Austin...a man barely alive. We can rebuild him.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

blutiga likes this.
  24. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm reading a book with the accounts of a former Edwards AFB test pilot who also tested those lifting bodies and was a friend of Paterson. You are 100% correct about his injuries.

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

...but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.