Who was hurt the most by not being in the Monterey Pop movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. Moby Grape
    2. Byrds
    3. Beach Boys (turned down the festival altogether)

2. zen

zen Senior Member

The Grass Roots played at the Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival on Sunday, June 11, 1967, in the "Summer of Love" as "Let's Live for Today" was at #15 and climbing. This music festival occurred just days before the Monterey Pop Festival but did not have a movie to document it.

3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Certainly not the Beach Boys.

4. JozefK

In one documentary Bruce Johnston claimed this one decision cost them 5 good years of their career

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Hmmm....I got go with the Beach Boys. They should have gone.

6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

What documentary? I'm pretty sure he said that about the Monterey Pop Festival since they were actually billed and pulled out of it...not Woodstock.

If anything cost them 5 years , it was the fans getting Smiley Smile in place of Smile.

sjaca, oldsurferdude, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
  7. JozefK

Reread the thread title

8. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

are you kidding?

they would have gotten laughed out of the place. at this point they were SO passe. were they gonna show up in their road outfits and play "Barbara Ann" and "I Get Around"? Not to that crowd.

better for them not to have been there. i mean, i'm not sure where they SHOULD have gone, but this wasn't the place.

9. JozefK

Or they could have played Pet Sounds and "Heroes & Villains"

10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

OMG...you guys juked me after all the Woodstock threads today!!! My apologies...definitely the Beach Boys.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They played in Hawaii instead. Recorded an unreleased live album that's regarded as the slowest album ... ever.

cwitt1980, DrBeatle, willy and 2 others like this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Captain Beefheart

13. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

The Kinks - invited to participate but couldn't get visas.

14. JozefK

Is this actually true or just a Kinky joke?

perplexed likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Byrds were lucky not to get in the film. If any of the rubbish David Crosby said was made public the band would have been dropped by Columbia and would have never been heard of again.

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

They would not have been laughed out of there. The hippies didn't laugh at The Association, Simon & Garfunkel or Mamas & Papas. Brian's lame excuse for not performing was that they would have been laughed at, and somehow this notion has been turned into a truth over the ensuing decades. They had Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, and SMiLE, in their pocket, and Mike Love was not yet known as the ********* he would later turn into....

17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm sure somebody from Columbia was there and heard it or at least heard about it afterwards. It's not exactly a secret when you say something in front of 20,000 people...

18. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I dunno, Simon & Garfunkel and the Mamas & Papas played there. People were so high it didn't really matter. We're not talking Altamont here.

Fox67 likes this.
  19. JozefK

linclink likes this.
  20. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Johnny Rivers had a reasonably successful career but at the same time he never really seemed to be loved by the rock crowd. He's not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, for example. Perhaps appearing in the film would have helped.

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Lady Gaga.

keyXVII, SKean, goodiesguy and 2 others like this.
  22. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

It is true. They were were effectively banned from touring in the US from 1965-1969 by the American Federation of Musicians. I think it had to due with their not paying dues, drunkenness and loutish behavior. They were the Oasis of their day.

Brawls and Bans: The History of the Kinks' Struggles in America »

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Beach Boys, definitely.

Granted, I don't know if their live act was up to snuff, as far as being "with the times," so to speak. But if they'd shown up and just done a set of mostly Pet Sounds/Smile stuff, I think their career trajectory between '68-73 would've been vastly different. Then again, would Mike Love been self-aware enough to have allowed the band to play a set like that (particularly a set in which he is among the least-featured members)? Unlikely. But the potential was definitely there.

I don't think it "hurt" the Byrds, or Buffalo Springfield, for that matter, since neither band in their mid-1967 incarnation was long for this world by the time the movie came out. By the end of '68 when the movie came out, Springfield had split, and the Byrds had exactly one member left from the lineup that would've been in the film.

24. JozefK

Yeah, any self-respecting Kinkyhead knows this part. It's the invite to Monterey I'd never heard about before.

keyXVII, linclink and Bobsblkwax like this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Maybe even Good Vibrations, Little Pad, Wind Chimes and Surf's Up. :love:

905 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.