EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Hold on... I can't keep up at the current pace.

2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

"Everybody Loves Somebody" - great song and perfect delivery from Mr. Martin. I could see this being a big hit for Bobby Vinton too. But Dean Martin is such a great singer and personality. Every song he sings sounds both masculine and romantic but with a little wink in the eye.

"Where Did Our Love Go" - another favorite of mine. I don't really get how anybody couldn't like this song. It also sounded great in rock boogie style via the J. Geils Band and antiseptic and robotic via Soft Cell. My favorite version is the Supremes though.

SITKOL'76 and sgb like this.
  3. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

That had to exist. :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I think it was a chart hit in Australia. I knew it better than the Supremes version.

Thom and sunspot42 like this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Faye wasn't Hotlips. That was Sally Kellerman.

sgb likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

She was really good in Network. 100% of real life female television executives base themselves on her.

sunspot42 and sgb like this.
  7. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "House Of the Rising Sun" by the Animals, #1 from September 5 - September 25, 1964.

8. alphanguy

Also want to make mention that Frijid Pink also took the song to #7 on the charts in 1970:

SuprChickn77 likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think this one is... okay. Decent song and performance - not something I seek out, but I don't switch it off, either...

10. alphanguy

I don't mind it, either... I must say my favorite version of this song is Ronnie Milsap's:

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Animals are one of those Brit Invasion bands I feel like I should like more than I do like.

Again, they're a perfectly decent band, but I don't own any of their stuff - and I'm content that way! :D

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've loved this since I was a kid - so raw! But I had no idea it was this old. I always assumed it was from '66 or '67. Jesus, talk about ahead of its time. Not to diminish The Beatles in any way, but between that organ, that guitar and Eric Burdon's vocal (so young in that video!) this track sounds more like the future than anything else I've heard since I started following this thread a few months ago. No doubt this paved the way for The Stones and a lot of other acts much edgier and rawer than The Beatles.

Just . . . wow!

13. alphanguy

And you would be totally correct. This is far more cutting edge than anything the Beatles were doing at the time.

sunspot42 and bluejeanbaby like this.
  14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I know the Hot 100 was faster-paced then, but "House" sprinted up the chart at Usain Bolt pace. It debuted at No. 60 (the top debut) on August 8th, then vaulted to No. 10 the following week (a whopping 50 spot jump), then No. 5, No. 2 and No. 1 in just its fifth week. As I say, not that unusual for 1964, but for such an unconventional song (like, an adaptation of a traditional folk song), by an unknown British act having their first hit... it's an extremely impressive feat.

15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

That said, I like it well enough and I appreciate it as a song, but it's not one I choose to listen to. Like @Oatsdad, I know I should like them, because I like a lot of contemporary British Invasion artists/songs, but the Animals just don't do it for me.

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's arresting, I think that's why. It's an odd combination of the traditional and something that sounds completely different. And that vocal!

17. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

It would have had a more diverse demographic appeal too. The British Invasion-loving teens would have loved it (primed by the Beatles to lap up anything from the UK that was in the ballpark of being like the Fab Four), but also their older siblings. Possibly even their parents too. It's certainly a lot easier to imagine the Betty Drapers of 1964 seeing the merit in "HOTRS" than in a noisy romp like "A Hard Day's Night".

Edit: Oh, and that vocal could have enticed in soul fans who were sceptical about the British Invasion.

SuprChickn77 and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Betty would have preferred Peter & Gordon or Chad & Jeremy and would have sent Sally to her room for listening to The Animals or The Pretty Things. Though she may have listened to Tell Her No by The Zombies while 'using' the washing machine :p

Hey Vinyl Man, sunspot42 and Thom like this.
  19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, Betty would have had no time for this.

But Anna Draper and Peggy Olson, they'd have loved it.

Hey Vinyl Man and Thom like this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Anna was older. She'd be into Johnny Kidd & the Pirates or Vince Taylor.

Peggy did the twist in one episode she'd have been a DC5 or Freddie & the Dreamers girl (though she'd tell the boys at the office she liked The Moody Blues or David Jones & the Lower Third)

21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Megan would have loved it. The later Megan, who tried to make Don like Revolver, not the (slightly less hip) Megan who Zoo Be Zoo Be Zoo'ed at Don's 40th birthday.

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Don's the kind of guy who'd play an album from the beginning. Telling him to play the last track first was asking for trouble.

She'd be into Pink Floyd, Tomorrow or the SF Sorrow Pretty Things.

Peter Campbell would be into Matt Monroe or The Bachelors

JonnyKidd and Thom like this.
  23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

If Matthew Wiener hasn't compiled Spotify playlists for all the Mad Men characters, he should be onto that. I want to know what Peggy actually was listening to in her little apartment. :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

What about the guy who hired The Tradewinds instead of The Rolling Stones?

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Don had heaps of records. Peter had that huge stereo that was 'like a piece of furniture' but he was playing stuff like Mitch Miller on it in 1966.

Thom and sunspot42 like this.