Rega Elex-R, anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been running a Rega Elex-R for the past year... what an outstanding amp! Like the Brio, but with more grunt and extension. I'm very surprised I don't see more posts about it... not many users here?

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I have one in an all Rega 2nd system in Brasil and just love it. I can only attribute the SQ to system synergy as this little kit punches way above its weight class!

bhazen likes this.
  3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

My Brio is driving a pair of Harbeth P3's on my desktop. Astonishingly good. My local Rega dealer has 'threatened' that a demo Elex-R will be coming up shortly though, so I'm waiting patiently.

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

If Rega handled low impedance loads better I'd be very happy with one.

5. TVC15

i'm pushing a pair of 4 ohm Thiels with no issue...

KT88 likes this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep; I even had a Brio-R driving a set of 4 ohm 88db/w/m speakers here for some time. Not a perfect pair on paper but it sounded just fine and the amp didn't complain.
    -Bill

7. TVC15

My Brio-R would get pretty warm pushing the Thiels (though push them it did!) but the Elex-R doesn't break a sweat. I'm not sure where the 'rega can't handle 4ohm loads' comment comes from.

8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I started with the Brio-R and moved up to the Elicit-R. The thing is solid. Drives my Totem Forests with ease.

9. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I used a Brio-R into Dynaudio Contour 1.8/II - 4 ohm and 86 (?) db. Perfectly capable. The Elicit-R is a lot more so, of course!

10. TVC15

Elex-R is a great middle ground between the Brio (which I feel is voiced for smaller speakers, although very capable!) and the uber-expensive Elicit-R. You get more than a taste of what the Elicit-R is capable of with the Elex, at 1/3 the price. And far more grunt than the Brio. I'm surprised there's less discussion of the Elex-R on here.

Jackie P and GoldprintAudio like this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am researching amps and was looking at the Rega Elex-R today. All reviews seem glowing but I didn't see any provision for HT bypass. Since this is a critical requirement for me, can someone please confirm that there is no HT bypass option in this amp?

12. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes it's called "Direct Input"...recommend you download its manual
    http://www.rega.co.uk/elicit-r.html

13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I believe the Elicit-R does have HT bypass but the ELEX-R does not. I believe the question was concerning the ELEX-R.

14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Whoops!

15. crossroads69

Thanks, that's what I figured too after reading through the manual. Big bummer since I was quite excited about the model.

I guess the search now switches to other brands...

16. crossroads69

Yeah, unfortunately it's only on the Elicit-R and that's way outside my budget.

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I guess there aren't many threads on it because all the owners are too busy enjoying it! I'm very satisfied with my Elex-R! :D

HappyCycler, bhazen and timztunz like this.
  18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I have a brio. It is amazing, but now I want a second amp for another room.

Do I go with a half price Cyrus 6 deal or plump for the Elex and blow my cash?

I would be using BW speakers and a Rega rp6

19. It's Felix

What does a HT bypass do?!

20. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

It's Felix likes this.
  21. It's Felix

22. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just bought a new Rega Elex R that I got a good deal on. Unfortunately it's in storage while I pay down my line of credit and get the rest of my upgrade system sorted out. I have a Focal Bird system no that is designed to work as one unit, so I can't hook the Elex R up to the speakers. I'm in a small condo so space is tight. I'm looking at either the Rega RS3 floorstanders that the local dealer has in stock, or maybe the newer RX1 stand mounts. The RX1 will require a decent set of stands also, pushing them past the price of the older RS3 floorstanders. The new RX3 floorstanders have really shot up in price, costing about $2600 here in Canada. At that price I can look at Proac Tablette 10s or even Harbeth P3's, but I'm not sure I can spend that much right now. I still need to factor in decent speaker cable and eventually a headphone amp and a better DAC than I have now. I plan on keeping my Project RPM1 TT with the Ortofon blue cartridge for the near future, with an upgrade down the road.

Right now I need to sort the speakers and I can be up and running. What does everyone think? Rega RS3 or RX1? The local guy is a Rega dealer so I plan to go through him, although he also has Proac and Harbeth. Other floorstanders are too big.

23. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I'd go with the older RS3 over the RX1. It will be more affordable and will also give more on the low end. Congrats on the Elex-R.

Robert C likes this.
  24. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking right now. He has a pair in stock which would be cheaper than ordering the RX1 and buying stands, which will run me at about $400. With the RS3s I can be up an running sooner and they do seem like nice speakers. I wonder how much better the new RX3s are? Are they really $1000 plus tax better?

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I suppose it's all subjective as to what the difference is worth to the individual. The RX3 are lovely speakers, but if money was an issue for me, I'd personally go with the RS3. They still sound great and the deals on them lately are tremendous. If you ever feel like upgrading down the line, you could always sell them and recoup your money and put it towards the RX3 if you want them in the future.

timztunz and Robert C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.