Terminator: Dark Fate*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

If anyone can resurrect this franchise it's Cameron, from my perspective I think the damage is done, do they pick up where II left off and hope people forget about everything else that was released? I guess if Sony can re-boot Spiderman multiple times, Alien(s) and Batman get pulled/booted in multiple directions why not take another kick at Terminator.

He’s Back! James Cameron To Godfather ‘Terminator’ With ‘Deadpool’ Helmer Tim Miller »

EXCLUSIVE: He’ll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinema’s great science fiction tales.

David Ellison, whose Skydance co-financed Terminator Genisys, is bankrolling an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still holds many Terminator rights, after his 2013 acquisition from sister and Annapurna principal Megan Ellison. She bought them in 2011 at Cannes for $20 million.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They've gotten very loose with the reboot term. They're rebooting and concluding it.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm still waiting to see the last one. :)

scobb likes this.
  4. Deuce66

same here, so many negative reviews really put me off

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That, and I'm waiting for a free airing. ;)

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Arnie makes it work( just about ).

Karnak and marblesmike like this.
  7. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Sadly, I think the damage is done. The last film retconned EVERYTHING about T1 and T2, the only Terminator films really needed.

8. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

With way SkyNet worked and fact that Timeline can be at any point..

Hell yeah with Cam onboard!!

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just can't be bothered.

Karnak, bru87tr, Graham and 1 other person like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Definitely. I can't wait for him to work his magic once again.

It doesn't worry me much about what damage was done post the second movie. If they're collaborating with 'top-flight science fiction authors' then it gives me confidence that they can come up with a new, interesting story. Look at the damage the Star Wars prequels did to the franchise and how the latest film was able to turn it around (undeservedly IMO, but still). I just hope that Cameron can do what he wants to do and not be micromanaged by the Hollywood machine...

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The franchise is as dead as Kyle Reese. :) Let it be.

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll bring Arnie back or go in a completely different direction. Hopefully, the latter.

GodShifter and Deesky like this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What kills me about bringing Arnold back for all these movies is that Termiantors are supposed to be made in hundreds, if not thousands of variations (you know, so they'll be able to be unrecognizable and blend in with humans). I'd be glad to see another actor play a series T-800 Terminator for once.

The Doctor, Isaac K. and Encuentro like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I also hope they go in a different direction, but somehow I think the temptation to bring Arnie back will be too strong. If need be, they could apply de-aging effects to his face.

But in terms of going in a different direction, maybe they could change the nature of Skynet. Because of all the interfering with the timeline(s) by sending terminators back over the various movies, they could have those events change the future in subtle ways which build up to a large change thus affecting the nature of Skynet itself and its agenda. Maybe the global AI splits into factions and the underdog AI faction is fighting the dominant authoritarian AI faction and they need someone from the past to help them defeat the 'bad' AIs. I dunno... just spitballing.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I was very excited when I heard about the last one. When I finally saw it, I was extremely disappointed. I have little exceptions for another one. The first two should have been the last two.

sunspot42 and beat_truck like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would too if Cameron wasn't involved, but he is and that's the difference.

eric777 and Encuentro like this.
  17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The entire concept jumped the shark when Cameron chose to bring back Arnold and make him good. As PaulKTF said, the cyborgs aren't supposed to look like just one guy because it defeats the purpose of the camouflage. Anybody else think that it is patently ridiculous that the cyborg is always played by Arnold, but John Connor is the one that is played by a different actor is every single film???

sunspot42 and LEONPROFF like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope. No other actor has/had the same iconic appeal of Arnie (Linda Hamilton comes close).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Arnie was the star and the big box-office draw. As I've stated in another thread, if they had to bring back Arnie for the latest film, the very least they could have done is surprise the audience with a plot twist, leading audiences to believe that Arnie is the protector before pulling back the curtain to reveal that the Arnie terminator is one of the bad ones. I would have preferred to see Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong reprise their roles as well.

Deesky likes this.
  20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That isn't even the point. Star power doesnt make the choice any less stupid on the story level. It was a choice made for money and nothing more.

You really don't find it at all amusing that John Connor is the one that changes his appearance in every movie but not the cyborg? Hoo kay then.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No kidding! You'd think the movie business isn't a for-profit business. But setting that obvious aspect aside, I still don't see why it's 'stupid' casting at the story level either. This particular objection was never even on my radar. The time travel plot has far more problematic aspects then this (if you really want to dig into it). Shrug.

Not in the least. Does it bother you when a new actor plays James Bond (with the same Q) or Tarzan (with the same Cheeta)?

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

More interested in The Predator reboot.

23. Deuce66

I don't think anyone is telling him what he can and cannot do. I think he already told the head of FOX to stick it where the sun doesn't shine regarding the Avatar sequels, they want them pumped out factory style yesterday and he said they'll be ready when they're ready....

CrazyCatz and Deesky like this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He can take all the time he wants but it's going to be Disney jumping down his throat to get them out because they have an entire theme park area that's going to be dedicated to these forgettable movies and they have a lot riding on the sequels succeeding. If they bomb (and I think they will) they will not be happy.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So you're predicting that the movies will be both forgettable and that they will bomb without any evidence whatsoever. Given how huge Avatar was and Cameron's stellar track record, I find your predictions highly suspect! I for one can't wait.

CrazyCatz and Deuce66 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.