What is your most valuable LP (according to auction results)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylfindco, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

That one, although I don't know what it's worth these days.

[​IMG]

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

3. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

According to discos, my 2xLP soundtrack of "A Field in England" is 'worth' an inexplicably high sum. Second, is the "Sightseer Sessions" (which is only an EP!) by the same artist and label. I appreciate they were pressed in small numbers but still don't understand why they seem to be so expensive...

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Leaving aside an aberration that shows a sealed copy of my bog-standard Wish You Were Here being sold for nearly £1,500 on a recent Discogs sale, my highest priced LPs are the Tom Waits Orphans set, and Pulse on vinyl.

For non-box sets, it's The White Stripes Live In Mississippi or Simple Pleasure by Tindersticks.

5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Albums only have value if you can sell them. To me, my collection is priceless.

6. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

i have a NM 6-eye mono of "kind of blue"

7. Denny Anderson

Denny Anderson Forum Resident

A first pressing mono of The Doors Strange days, I think? Maybe?

8. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Probably the Tom Waits box set. Also have an original pink label mono of George Russell's "Jazz in the Space Age" and a mono of Coltrane's "Meditations." But I have some bought-off-the-bandstand Sun Ra LPs--hand colored, scribbled on, etc.--that sometimes go for crazy money.
    But I agree with some other posters: They're not for sale, so it doesn't matter.

9. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Either...

Bowie - Ziggy (early UK pressing with Gem Production on back cover, shiny labels, inner sleeve photos an early matrix code)

or

Beatles - Rubber Soul (the 'hot cut' pressing)

or

Pink Floyd - DSOTM (early UK 2nd/3rd pressing with blue triangle outline. Almost new)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

IAW Discogs, I have three Mark Knopflers ranging from $250-300.
    Also have all the Led Zeppelin Classics (33) ranging from ~$100-250, with ITTO as most "valuable" now...others seem to be dropping somewhat....go figure. Med/Max vary greatly.
    Sold several Lps last year or so for >$200...never listened to them much, if at all (Springsteen, Phish), so that worked out.

Edit: I cannot sell the Knopflers, as they are among the best sounding Lps I have.

11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I don't know, really?

Off the top of my head, I'd guess :

Beatles UK White Album on white vinyl
    MFSL Sea Change on Pink vinyl
    Mötley TFFL on Leatheür with green Greenworld Distribution sticker

I don't know what else. Lots in the $30 -$100 range. First pressing Freak Out! & the first 2 Alice Copper records and lots of EU Stones pressings etc that I don't know the exact value of...

Would've had more if not for a couple of stupid purges...

12. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

A NM copy of "The Graced Lightning Side". A rare,single sided, EP promo release that is autographed by by Chris Herman; lead guitar and singer, "To My Fab Gear Raves, Listen to the Kirwin (E) (A)".

[​IMG]

13. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

He knows how to make a great sounding record...all the Dire Straits stuff is amazing...

14. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

According to Discogs my top 5 are :

1) Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway (mine is missing the Obi so might not be worth as much)
    2) Beck - Sea Change pink Mofi (not sure how recent reissue has affected this value)
    3) Mighty Baby -s/t yellow Head label
    4) Stonehouse - Stonehouse Creek
    5) Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch original blue note - my copy isn't in the best shape cover a bit worn and side 2 has a nasty looking scratch but the record still sounds pretty phenomenal !

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Definitely!:righton:

Calling All Stations likes this.
  16. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Gavinyl likes this.
  17. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

According to Discogs, my single most valuable item is the Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection 1963 (on vinyl, sealed) with a median value of £273

18. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

19. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Aussie 1983 Audiophile Sgt Peppers - a copy sold the other day for over $2,800. I paid $170 for my copy a few years ago.

Gavinyl and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  20. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

According to Discogs, Horace Silver's Song for My Father followed by Sonny Rollins' Way Out West and Thelonious Monk's Underground.

21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Two 1995 numbered triple vinyl copies of Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins. Neither has seen any turntable action, one is still sealed with Tower Records £10.49 sticker on the front.

DHamilton and PatrickG like this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I don't have any big money lp's. My most valuable will probably found in my Led Zeppelin stack. It's suprising to see how much the Classic Records reissues are going for.

23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I sold my most valuable LP's - some recent Coil bootlegs - and got about $150 for each one. Coil collectors seem to be pretty fanatical, not to mention well heeled.

My favorite though was this Catherine Deneuve record. Bought it for $4 at a local used store and sold it for $70 on Discogs. It must be because of the cover because the music - basically a disco set done with Serge Gainsbourg - isn't all that great.
    [​IMG]

It seems to me that the world of 45's contains a lot of buried treasures also, though admittedly 45 prices are all over the place. According to Discogs, this Three Suns record, which I recently picked up for 50 cents is worth $75. If I could find someone to pay that much for it, of course. :nyah:

[​IMG]

24. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

The Fall - Imperial Wax Solvent

Over the last 10 years or so I've been buying The Fall albums on vinyl as they came out, this became a collectors item whereas their other LPs from this period didn't. I guess there was not many pressed up, for some reason.

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Lord Melody - Calypso Fiesta / Limbo In Trinidad. His very rare first LP. Mine has an incorrect sleeve but the record itself is excellent condition. I think I paid like £40 for it because the person listed it as a Buy It Now and I got there just in time. I was really, really lucky.

Here is another copy which went for a stupidly high amount of money:

popsike.com - LP Lord Melody Calypso VITADISC TC/L 50 10 Inch - auction details »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.