Billy Joel Greatest Hits 1 &2 on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rich100, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's a MFSL edition. Why would you consider it pricey?

c-eling likes this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Well the OG pressings are going for about the same amount in USD on eBay right now...and they aren't necessarily in Mint condition. Up to you.

rich100 likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The SACD ain't cheap either!:D

Are they really coming out this week? Surely there'd be a thread (before this one) by now?

c-eling likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I saw that one. Not cheap, but what MFSL is cheap (apart from the ones Amazon can't sell).

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have a US Sterling cut of this, since it was released simultaneously with the compact disc, to my ears it provided zero benefit because of the format. I prefer the compact disc
    Yes Bobby I believe there is a thread on it.
    I would go for the MFSL lp over the old pressing

Dave S, rich100 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I don't think any of the Joel SACDs are OOP. Amazon seem to have them all in stock.

I got the Cars "Heartbeat City" SACD from an Amazon MP seller for £23. I didn't think that was bad.

c-eling likes this.
  8. rich100

I don't have anything from this label yet, worth the premium then generally speaking?

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think it's a case by case basis. I always wait for the reviews before purchasing.

10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

In many cases, yes. Certainly compared with a regular reissue cut from a digital source. Not always better than an original, provided you could find one in mint condition, but often that's impossible.

rich100 likes this.
  11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, not bad, but it's still more than the standard price of a CD+Bluray set. The vinyl is a bit more expensive than some 45rpm 2LP sets such as Rumours.

12. rich100

Sounds way too sensible :) Thanks

13. Bobby Morrow

I don't buy vinyl, so I'm spared that hassle.:)

Don't think I've ever had a MOFI SACD under £20.

14. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I know it says one disc there on Amazon's page, but I think it's supposed to be three. At least that was the original plan from MFSL, and would contain both Honesty and Don't Ask Me Why, and the other four tracks omitted from the original vinyl release. But that was the track listing I saw a couple of years ago.

15. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Looks like Mobile Fidelity is finally shipping The Greatest Hits Vol. I & II, seems like this was announced years ago. It's expensive too at $84.99.

jeffreybh likes this.
  16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Music Direct has a 20% off vinyl sale so it's 67.99 today.

jeffreybh and dobyblue like this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have two copies of the original vinyl and they're pretty quiet. The question I guess is can MoFi do it better? Was the original vinyl all analog or from the same source as the CD as was often done? I guess I'd hesitate to spend $84 unless I knew this was just a wonderful release.

c-eling likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Do you know if the SACD is going to be released too?

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

You can pick up the original of this for £1 at any car boot sale here in the UK, not sure that the remastered quality is worth paying for, and it`s not a particularly good album.....my opinion.

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Looking at a couple SPEK's from the US it appears to be a hodgepodge. Some for example Piano Man has a telltale cut-off, while others have full analog range. Since I think this comp has edits and single versions, they may have been digitally mixed for the later ones. This could of been proven a nightmare for MFSL and why it took so long. Just a guess Jim :)

22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

For me it's a great option, it's got the vast majority of songs I love on it and I don't want to spend all that money buying all the albums individually...the only albums I want in full are Storm Front which doesn't have an audiophile release (KG did a great job with the Friday Music cut but the pressing house sucks) and The Stranger which I have the incredible 5.1 SACD of.

Much more palatable. Thanks for the heads' up.

23. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

MFSL has been hit and miss (but mostly hit) as far as the Billy Joel catalogue. For those of us who are not huge fans and simply want the hits, then this reissue hits the spot.

Whether or not the new mfsl will blow away or even better the sound quality of this compilation to a degree of worthiness remains to be seen.

But to say this isnt a good greatest hits album is basically to say you arent a Billy Joel fan period.

With the exception of maybe leaving off "Honesty" and "Leave The Tender Moment Alone" (I dont think the album suffers at all from leaving these two off) this is one of the best greatest hits packages put together for an artist.

I hope theyve done a great job on this one. Im not a big Billy Joel fan but I do enjoy the fun factor in playing this greatest hits package.

Ill probably hold out for the same basic mfsl mastering on sacd though.

25. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Thank you, you are of course correct, I should have made clear that I am NOT a Billy Joel fan, and that for anyone who wants all the early hits in one package this is a good compilation.

mpayan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.