Roxy Music - Avalon....why no audiophile treatment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richbdd01, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Close in terms of track spacing, what tape edits were made. May be more music on the master or different mixes? Maybe basic tonality. Also there may be different first pressing from various plants that sound different especially within the USA. They won't be trying to emulate bass and treble roll off and added compression. Furthermore a different mastering chain (likely superior) will not emulate the original exactly. So they are aiming at an improved version which cannot sound exactly the same. Check out information on SH/KG Rumours were there were different original versions. Some extra bits on the remaster and not sounding the same but much better.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Vinyl Records and CD Marketplace - MusicStack »

I have gotten good results from the sellers on this. Keep in mind that they use Record Collector standards. You want to look for at least an EX or better.

ggggreenisaac and richbdd01 like this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, yeah I don't bother with any lower than Near Mint on Discogs now and 98% above feedback usually..

4. richbdd01

Well, i got my Japanese edition vinyl and was interested in how it compared to the Arun cut.

It doesnt sound too vastly different in its sonic signature to the arun cut, but....there are tracks that make me think 'wow...that sounds quite a bit better' . It has quite an extended top end without being too fatiguing and has that 'airy' feel to it like the Arun cut. It just seems to have that little bit more detail. However, its in the bass department that this Japanese issue outperforms the UK arun cut for sure. It is deeper and more thunderous and i really enjoyed listening to this. The vinyl has a slight mark on the first side, which is completely inaudible. It plays almost dead silent. Really impressed how quiet the Japanese vinyl is!

I think i prefer this slightly to the Arun cut. I may keep an eye out for the Simply Vinyl. I feel slightly less in need on an audiophile reissue now.

For those who are not aware, the individual titles cut by Miles are out this month i believe. Some sound reasonably good but they just leave me wanting more!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Munger74 likes this.
  5. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Was just listening to this today. This is one of my all time favorite albums. I own the SACD which as previously stated sounds amazing. For redbook, I own the red face West German Polydor and would think it would be hard to top that. Nice and smooth. If I remember correctly, the Japanese Black Triangle has a different track order. Not sure why that is. I think it would be hard for me to adjust to that after listening to the original many times over the years.

6. Have nothing to compare it with, but my Canadian vinyl pressing of this (which I only recently picked up) sounds incredible to me. Has "CR" in the deadwax.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

proedros, grx8, Tuco and 1 other person like this.
  8. richbdd01

Cyril Regis? :)

Dominic jefferson likes this.
  9. Instant Karma

stereoptic likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How can you improve perfection???

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Boys and Girls sounds excellent in 5.1 :)! My only disappointment would be its kind of short (38 minutes) and no extra tracks on the 5.1 mix like there is on Avalon. "Always Unknowing" is on the Avalon SACD 5.1 mix but not on the CD or stereo SACD layers.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. Instant Karma

Good to know. That is moving to the top of my list of new purchases. Are any other Roxy or Ferry titles in multichannel?

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The only other multichannel title that I'm aware of is Bryan Ferry's Frantic which is on SACD and DVD-A. I was lucky to grab a copy of the Frantic DVD-A quite awhile ago and it has an excellent multichannel mix.

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

While Avalon is great, there are quite a few OTHER Roxy recordings, such as For Your Pleasure, that I'd prefer on MFSL.

wayneklein and ParanoidAndroid like this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'll never buy another reissue. Completely, and totally smitten with the original SACD, not to mention it cost me an arm, a leg, and a nut.

16. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Time to pull out the 5.1 SACD. I picked up Boys and Girls and Frantic in their first SACD releases also. All are quite good.

I think most audiophile monikers are a marketing scam. What depends is who did the mastering and how does it sound.

Having said that I have purchased many a title mastered by our host (primarily DCC) and have been very happy. Mr. Wilson carries on in that fine tradition in my view.

The mix for the first album is done and we are just waiting for the release. Wilson has implied that he will not be doing any more of the Roxy catalog (I think the owner of the catalog does not want to foot the bill).

17. Instant Karma

Thanks Bill. You gave me great advice with regards to the Chicago Quadio box set. Thoroughly enjoying it. I will look for Frantic as well as Boys and Girls.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The SACD is a sonic keeper.

lance b likes this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love the European multichannel SACDs of AVALON, BOYS AND GIRLS and the wholly underrated FRANTIC.

Bill Mac and Eric Weinraub like this.
  20. Mainaman

Mainaman Well-Known Member

If you not into vinyl,there is no need for another reissue as the SHM SACD is great and you dont know what you are missing on ;) There is an "audiophile" remaster,the half-speed digitally sourced one,but from what i have read about it and from my own experience with other digitally sourced half-speed reissues,done by Miles,the original vinyl release is still the best.

I am very happy with my original,but a competent 45rpm Mofi(or other) release with nice packaging would be very,very appreciated.If the master tape is still intact,of course.

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

What is "audiophile treatment"? Can someone explain?

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  22. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

The original US RL Masterdisk cut is as audiophile as it gets.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have the original US CD. Always sounded great to me.

24. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

go watch the YouTube Analog Planet unboxing of Roxy Music's box set. Audiophile Michael Fremer takes "Avalon" out of the box and tells a story of how the US original pressing and all re-issues of Avalon - including the one in the box set - isn't nearly as good as the original UK version and others sound Dull... so at a minimum, grab the UK version...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    marcfeld69 and driverdrummer like this.