For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, Aubrey Sellers' contract with Carnival Music/Thirty Tigers got bought by Atlantic/Warner Bros. so she will catch on with the mainstream.

2. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

I found a CD of Roy Acuff, Hand Clapping Gospel Songs for my dad at the public library bookstore. He thinks all gospel music sounds "too modern," so this should hit the target for him.

melstapler and Johnny Reb like this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Recently got this solid LP-only collection of Thomas Johnson AKA the Lonesome Drifter's recordings, most of which were never released. My favourite of his songs are the few he sings with a bluegrass-tinged inflection, such as "Teardrop Valley". Also hear him take the Jimmie Rodgers yodel to entirely new dimensions on "Ain't Got Nothing But the Blues".

Then there's the oft-anthologized title track, "Eager Boy". The lyrics take on a new poignancy once you're made aware they were taken from a poem called "N****r Boy".

I do recommend either this album from Norton or an Ace CD called Shreveport High Steppers which contains most of the Lonesome Drifter's song alongside other Ram Records artists.

melstapler likes this.
  4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Roy will definitely hit the target for him, 2 more CDs you have to get for him is Hank Williams' "I Saw The Light" and "Beyond The Sunset"

melstapler likes this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I want this so bad.

7. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

I have a copy signed by Rose. Got it when sheplayed a show in Modesto, Ca in 83. I love it--plus the memories! What a grand lady!

8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Dwight Yoakam "Swimmin' Pools, Movie Stars...". It's a bluegrass album. And he does a tribute to Prince with a bluegrass cover version of "Purple Rain", and it works just fine. I've never even thought about the possibility. I guess that's why Yoakam make records and I listen to them. :tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Anyone heard this series ?

[​IMG]

10. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

[​IMG]

I've had this in my wish list since it came out. I don't know why it took so long to buy it.

It's really good.

11. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

Let me know how it is. I just ordered "In Spite of Ourselves" this weekend.

12. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like it a lot. You've got contemporary music artists expanding their cred while singing with Prine; plus the same effect for him, if those artist's fans buy this album. His voice has aged nicely and he sounds very relaxed. Good stuff.

baptistbusman likes this.
  13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

A cd of Jaye P Morgan singing some 'country' arrived to day, hope to check it out tonight!

14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

15. GodBlessTinyTim

The picture shows the box as square, so it must be shrunk down. Hopefully the booklet wasn't truncated.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Folks, do you live in Nashville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville? If you do, go to McKay's and hunt down the Lawrence Record Shop backstock. It's going for cheap as a rule. I'm still dragging home some really superb finds on 45 and LP from there.

17. GodBlessTinyTim

Finally got my hands on the sole Zeb Turner collection available on CD. Good fun.

melstapler likes this.
  18. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

While browsing through the 45 cent 45s at a local record store, I struck a big pile of Country singles in great shape, all from the same collection dating from 1955-61.

[​IMG]

So far they've all been winners, especially the Farmer Boys. The 3 on the top left are Johnny Cash EPs with 4 tracks each from his first Columbia LP.

19. GodBlessTinyTim

Nice finds, especially that Farmer Boys promo and Ginny Wright on the obscure Canadian Zero label, best known for issuing Loretta Lynn's debut single.

That Sundown record is intriguing. Never would have thought a country song would have been put out on red see-through vinyl, let alone in 1958.

20. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Sounds great, but I can't see the picture...

21. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Just listened to that one after your post. It's an okay if a little lo-fi country female group. Both sides were written by Ned & Sue Miller.

Really? the other poster could see it apparently. :confused:

melstapler likes this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

Are you browsing on your phone by any chance? I can only see the picture on my laptop.

23. Johnny Reb

Hmm, true. I still can't see it though... :shrug: No idea why.

24. Johnny Reb

I'm on a laptop as well, HP Windows 10 to be precise. @hominy , what site did you upload your photo too? I've had problems seeing pictures from a couple of 'em before.

25. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Some Reba
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and Hank jr
    [​IMG]

Svein Arne and Johnny Reb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.