Pittsburgh hot spots

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by kennynd, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennynd

kennynd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you please update the old thread and mention the current not-to-miss vinyl stores plus cd/dvd in Pittsburgh metro area? Thanks so much.

2. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

The cash-only Jerry's Records in Squirrel Hill is the largest used record store in the area, as far as I know.
    The Attic Record Store in Millvale has new and used vinyl as well as used CDs. Most new records are $25.
    Finally, there are several Half Price Books locations in the various suburbs surrounding the city - here you can find used vinyl, CDs and DVDs. I picked up nearly a dozen used CDs there this week - most for $2 each!

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i haven't been there in a few years, but i think there are a couple of 'exchange" (a cleveland based chain) in the pittsburgh area, i have been to the one in the ross park mall area.

is the big store with the ridiculously high prices (that used to be above the post office and i can't remember the name) still there?

4. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

That was Record-Rama, nope, long gone.

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

There are Exchange stores also in Monroeville, North Hills (on McKnight Road), Oakland, and 2 downtown. I go to several of them frequently. Good used CD selection, although it can be annoying when they are busy because you always have to ask someone to unlock the case if you want to look at a CD. They all have some vinyl out in racks, but I am not a vinyl collector so can't comment.

There are also Half Price Books just down the road from both the Monroeville and McKnight Road locations.

There is a store called Eide's Entertainment between downtown and the Strip District that has used CDs and vinyl.

If you are into vinyl, and you only go to one place while in the area, make it Jerry's.

6. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

There used to be one called Stedefords. I can visualize the store but can't remember if it was on the Northside or Southside. I'm not even sure if it's still open or not.
    The former owner of Record Rama (above the North Hills Post Office) is the guy that came up with the "Spin Clean Record Cleaner". It came out somewhere in the $20 range brand new.
    I got into a shouting match with him once after I told him that his stuff was overgraded AND overpriced. He blew up, I told him "truth hurts, huh?" and my wife dragged me out telling me I embarrassed her and wasn't allowed to go back.... ever.
    (Hey, sometimes the truth does hurt.....:whistle:)

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

have to agree with you 1000%.

if i recall he used to charge $1 a year, no matter condition. so if it was 1995 and tha album came out in 1965 it was $30, no questions asked, no negotiations.

he was a real dick, a lot like fat phil at spin-more in kent...he wanted to pay a dollar and charge a hundred.

8. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Jerry's, Jerry's, Jerry's. Store is great and Jerry is a hoot.

If you are done at Jerry's the Attic is worth a look too.

But yeah, Jerry's.

9. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Dave's Music Mine in the South Side for CDs

mmars982 likes this.
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

When you are done with vinyl shopping, go to Primanti Brothers for a Sandwich.

Bill Hart and rlanda like this.
  11. Dr. Winston Ramone

Has anyone had a good experience at Stedeford's Record Shop in East Allegheny/Deutschtown? I was there once and left empty-handed. My first impression was that it was over-priced for a limited selection of CDs.

Broadly speaking, I'm looking for reasonably-priced, well-mastered pop and rock CDs from the 80s and early 90s.

I am just curious to see if it was just me, or if I should give it a second chance!

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've only been in there once, but had the same impression as you. I did find a used Living Stereo SACD for a good price, but not in great condition. Looking around the rock CDs I didn't see much to make me want to go back.

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  13. Dr. Winston Ramone

Thank you for the recommendation - I'll have to check it out.

You may want to check out AV Xing, which is well north of the city in Butler. I was there a few weeks ago and picked up an early CD pressing of Breakfast In America and some other used 80s and early 90s pop/rock CDs. Their prices were reasonable for the condition that the discs were in. I can't speak to their vinyl collection because vinyl is not a priority for me at the moment. CDs used to be their core business, but they've since expanded to DVD/Blu-Ray and more recently vinyl.

It's not exactly a 'hot spot,' but it may be worth a trip depending on how far of a drive it is for you, what exactly you're looking for, etc.

Northwind likes this.
  14. Dr. Winston Ramone

15. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Anyone else been to Out of the Ordinary Music & Gifts in Glassport?

I went there once a year ago... vinyl section seemed to be somewhat metal-centric. I picked up Sabbath's "Mob Rules" and Nektar's "A Tab in the Ocean". I suppose I should make a second visit sometime soon... but it's such an out-of-the-way location for a Downtown dweller like me.

16. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Nevermind... discovered this weekend that Out of the Ordinary closed last April.

17. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

18. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Music to My Ear located next to the Sheetz on Babcock Blvd in Ross Township may now rank as one of my favorite record stores in PGH. It's a new-ish store and the companion store to Northern Audio, which relocated from Aspinwall last year.

Music to My Ear started out with a small vinyl selection that was heavily focused on audiophile pressings... and frankly had a pretty unexciting collection of artists (mostly hugely popular artists, not a lot of more obscure artists).

However, their inventory has seemingly quadrupled recently... and they now have a lot of interesting stuff. I picked up 12 records there last Saturday, and had to put some back to limit my spending. For my tastes, I was impressed with the amount of prog-rock they've been accumulating.

The vinyl selection is heavily focused on classic rock from the 60s/70s... though there are also sections for other genres like jazz, vocal pop, etc. There's a new vinyl section and an audiophile section. Condition of used vinyl and sleeves appears to be the best in the city.

19. Dr. Winston Ramone

Mad Man's Mustache is a nice little CD shop that has been open for a few weeks - it is located off of Rt 51 in Brentwood. The owner (Mike) is a nice guy and specializes in '60s -80s rock, jazz, and blues. Most CDs cost $3-$5, while others are specially marked. He has a decent selection of import CDs too. He doesn't really have any vinyl, if that's what you're looking for.

Mike also has a warehouse store further down Rt 51 in Perryopolis - off the town center roundabout on Liberty St.

(Shout out to Northwind for this discovery!)

Northwind likes this.
  20. Fritz33

Fritz33 New Member

Doc, it would help if you gave an address and/or phone number for Mad Man's. Just called directory assistance and they have no listing.

Northwind likes this.
  21. Dr. Winston Ramone

The Madman's Moustache (correct spelling)
    42 Dewalt Ave Brentwood, PA 15227
    Hours:
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    Saturday : 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
    Wednesday & Sunday: closed

- it's fairly new, so they don't appear on Google, Yelp, and other web services. Kind of a hidden gem at this point. Let us know what you think if/when you go.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Northwind likes this.
  22. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Article about Super Monkey... opening in Allentown on Apr 22.

Super Monkey Recording Company is a dream realized for Chris Groblewski

I'm placing an order for thousands of dollars of new vinyl. I'll have a copy of “Celebration Day” by Led Zeppelin, which was recorded live at the O2 Arena (in London in 2007) that I'm going to raffle off. I'm going to order stuff that's never been printed before on vinyl. If you want “Led Zeppelin IV,” you can go to Jerry's Records in Squirrel Hill. But if you want the new “Celebration Day,” I'll get you that. I'm going to carve a niche with new vinyl.

23. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

There is a shop called Last Dog Records in the village of Harmony (Butler County). They're located on the second floor of Bottlebrush Gallery.

Never heard of the place before, but might check it out this weekend.

Last Dog Records

24. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

BTW - driving around pittsburgh is a bitch and a half

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.