Your top 3 Black Sabbath albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TexasKing, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamPoe3

WilliamPoe3 Active Member

1. Paranoid
    2. Masters of Reality
    3. Black Sabbath

Was incredibly disappointment by Vol. 4. I'm not really into metal and I knew I wouldn't like their later stuff but I at least expect for Vol. 4 to be on par with Masters. Those first three albums are amazing though.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

May I ask what didn't work for you on 4?

3. ElPatron

ElPatron Forum Resident

You're all fools! The Mob Rules!
    Sabbath, bloody sabbath Nothing more to do
    Sabotage.

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

:laughup:

5. WilliamPoe3

It sounds much "harsher" than the first three, especially side two. Like I said, I'm not into heavy metal that much, but I've read that Vol. 4 was on par with the preceding albums. Just a matter of taste I suppose, it may be great but it just doesn't do it for me. My expectations were to high for the album I think.

6. Slick Willie

Wasn't SBS the one with all the purty strings ....and the gawd awful sonics, especially on US pressings....just wonky!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Black Sabbath
    Paranoid

8. Slick Willie

Cool, different strokes and all. And there was that wussy track Changes, and FX, albeit short. Then Laguna Sunrise....anyhoo, some strong/ironic tracks as well.
    I see 4 as the beginning of the decline, although it could be said it began with MOR. But if true, that would only leave us with two super strong Sabbath albums?
    Cray/cray?

9. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Yes. That is nuts.

BluesOvertookMe and Slick Willie like this.
  10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I voted:

Paranoid
    Master Of Reality
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

But....I love them all. Every Ozzy title first (including 13 - love it) - then the others.
    Born Again, TYR, & Cross Purposes are missing. Love them too. (Seventh Star - Iommi solo debate, or whatever) But...yeah 7th Star - dig it. Not seeing Dehumanizer on list either. Love em all.

BluesOvertookMe and Jam757 like this.
  11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

S/T
    SBS
    Sabotage

For me.

Clanceman and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  12. WilliamPoe3

Those lighter tracks that you mentioned are alright. Some of my favorite Black Sabbath songs are those light ones like Orchid and Peanut Caravan. Still, tracks like Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes etc. reminds me too much of "modern" metal, which I just don't like. The harsher songs just aren't as "catchy" as Paranoid, Evil Woman and Into the Void etc etc.

13. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Mine are:

1. V0l 4
    2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    3. Paranoid

Vol 4 because it was the first Sabbath album I heard as a kid in the early 70's; my uncle gave it to me.

Clanceman and Erik Tracy like this.
  14. Slick Willie

Sorry, but in my little world, swallowing keyboards and strings mixed with Sabbath, give me indigestion....but I assume I am in the minority on this. Most may prefer their metal purty.

15. Slick Willie

Dang! I thought we had a hardcore 4 fan......but nostalgia is of import as well!

16. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Damaged Soul stood out a mile on my first listen to 13 - which was on the live stream that was done in the first week. I thought the stream was hacked and someone had dropped in a modern Stoner Rock band as it was the first track on the album that finally had some balls about it (guitar tone wise) - then when Ozzy started singing I just wondered why the rest of the album didn't have this power in it.

GodShifter and elgoodo like this.
  17. Slick Willie

Color me curious, if 13 doesn't have power...what Sabbath albums do in your opinion?
    What format do you listen to?

18. ifihadafish

I'm coming from the Iommi (2000) / Fused / The Devil You Know timeline were Iommi's guitar sound developed into a huge wall of sound - then 13 came along and it was all stripped back. A Faux-retro sound thanks to Rubin.

Not helped by the lifeless drums either on 13

Geezer was the only one to come away with a decent sound - and when has that happened on a SAbbath album as Iommi has always been the driving force

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  19. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

My choices were:

1. Master of Reality 189 vote(s) 48.2%
    2. Vol. 4 132 vote(s) 33.7%
    3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 155 vote(s) 39.5%
    Rick A.

Martyn likes this.
  20. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

Ok, I guess I'll break a rule and get involved.

1. Heaven and Hell. I'm not saying it's their best record, I'm saying it's my favorite. It's also the first Sabbath I bought back in 1980 and an album that revitalized a classic band on the verge of slipping into obscurity, perfectly timed to coincide with the NWOBHM. It became part of a movement. It also contains some amazing songs and performances.

2. Vol. 4. "Snowblind" is enough for me.

3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. No need to justify or defend.

No disrespect to the first three, Sabotage or to the few great songs on TE and NSD.

BluesOvertookMe and Slick Willie like this.
  21. Slick Willie

Interesting, I have not considered those not exposed to the classic years. Guess 13 was a real shocker for ya'!
    And listen to the first two albums for some drum work!

22. ifihadafish

I've tried and tried with 13 and it just aint doing it for me (yet)

It took around 25 years for me to warm to Never Say Die - was doing homework for the launch of 13 and suddenly NSD made sense - I got past the buzzy guitar tone and heard the songs at last. I'm hoping 13 releases its gold to me some day.

My daughter drums - I plan on sitting her down with the Paris 1970 DVD and enlightening her on real drumming from a small kit.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

How are you "breaking a rule"?

24. ifihadafish

Ah I see what you are saying now - no I'm an all eras Sab fan from 1988 (it would have been earlier if someone had lent me the albums lol) - its not that I wasn't exposed to the classic years - I was - it was the fake attempt to recapture the classic years that was 13's undoing for me.

25. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are by far the best two.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is somehow exactly of an era and timeless. Sounds odd from the rest of the catalogue and just perfect. They don't get enough credit for how much they evolved from album to album and at this point they're still hitting all the right marks. Bookended by the title track and my favorite Sabbath track Spiral Architect. Nobody is being carried in this band, a very unique drummer, guitar player, Geezer mf'n Butler. And Ozzy begins to be the voice of the apocalypse.

And with Sabotage we get the voice of the apocalypse. Listen to Ozzy wailing on Hole In The Sky, when the world ends you will hear that song. The ending of Symptom of the Universe? Who are these guys? This album has few peers.

Final pick. I fought between Master of Reality, Vol. 4 and Heaven and Hell. I went with Heaven and Hell, if Lady Evil was better this would be a perfect album. Pretty damn good anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.