If you could only visit one London record store - which one?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Dflow, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan Thread Starter

Planning a trip to London and will have limited time to track down the many record shops a Google search uncovers. I currently only have one in mind - Reckless Records - and that is because I have been shopping in their Chicago based shops for 25 years. Is that a worthy choice? I like Prince, Dylan, The Beatles, Jazz and alternative and while bargains are always top of mind a higher end quality find could make for a nice souvenir. All thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.

2. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

Reckless is right across the street from Sister Ray, so you can do both in one take. In my opinion there are better shops in London like Out on the Floor in Camden or Record Exchange in Notiing Hill but really the best place for vinyl in London is the Spitalfield Fair every 1st and 3rd Friday of each month at the Spitalfield Market near the Liverpool Station so if you´re there these dates I strongly recommend.

Dflow likes this.
  3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have not seen a real record store in a couple of years so whichever one I could find would be good enough for me.

Beaneydave likes this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have heard good things about Casbah Records.

5. backtomono74

backtomono74 Forum Resident

Reckless is definitely the best second hand record shop in central London - reasonable prices (median discogs pricing mostly) and good condition stock. I always come away with some good stuff on my visits. There are other good stores including the Record exchanges and the Flashback stores but I find their pricing to be a little inflated and the condition of their stock not as good / well looked after.
    The OP mentioned Jazz and if you like black music, Sounds of the Universe is a very short 2 minute walk from Reckless is well worth a visit for its Soul, Jazz and Reggae (new and used).

My favourite London record shop at the moment is Rat records out in Camberwell - if you have the time to get out there, its really very well stocked with the best pricing in London - Saturday morning is the best time to visit though as they put out all their new stock on that one morning every week and it can get a little busy.

Dflow likes this.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It's been years since I was there but I'd choose Notting Hill's Record Exchange.

7. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Was there two years ago and Reckless was my favorite and within a short walking distance from where we were staying. And as mentioned upthread there are several others close by as a bonus.

8. Dflow

Thanks for all the great info! Unfortunately it looks like my Friday won't match up with the Fair's vinyl days. From what I have been researching the Spitalfield area will be good for vintage clothes and will be on our list of possible visits.

9. Dflow

Thanks so much! So it sounds like I have 3 nice shops all pretty close to one another - Reckless, Sister Ray's and Sounds of the Universe. I will keep Rat Records (Saturday) on my list but might have to be another visit.

10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The answer to your question is Alan's Records in East Finchley. Avoid Soho, it's all the same overpriced junk. Alan's is the last true record shop in London (exceptions made for Rat Records) selling rock, jazz, post-punk/new wave, funk and soul. All priced to sell and mostly in EX condition. You can read about Alan's here: Diggers delight: London’s 8 best secret record shops ».

Telegramsam likes this.
  11. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

I´ll second Alan´s and Flashback recommendation, both are much better than the Soho ones in my opinion. I remembered there is an alternative Saturday fair at the Spitalfield Market, on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month, when there is no Friday fair, it´s smaller but worth it, like visiting 10 stores in one go.

Robert C likes this.
  12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Just got back from Alan's with a couple of mint condition records after his post-Christmas restock. The Name of this band is Talking Heads (£15) and Tom Verlaine's Cover (£7). Strawberry and Townhouse respectfully.

13. Shatterhand

Shatterhand New Member

I am also in London from Feb 21- 27th, thanks for the recommendations

14. Dflow

Please circle back to this thread with a review of the shops you end up visiting. I would enjoying reading how it went - selection, prices, staff, etc. Are you visiting from the states?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.