Star Trek: Axanar-Independent Feature Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That's what's entertaining about this whole thing. It doesn't. Their donors were duped, yet they still have people on the Axanar page planning to open their wallets for another crowdfunding campaign.

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

These "Axanar" people, especially Peters, are nuts and I can't fathom why anybody could be crazy enough to give this guy more money after he burned through $1.4 million without actually making the movie.

The guy continues to be sketchy and laughably out of touch even after the settlement. Most egregiously perhaps is that while the settlement apparently required a joint statement where Axanar and Peters had to *admit* they crossed acceptable copyright law boundaries, Axanar and Peters completely left that part out of his later statement (printed in a post above). The joint statement where Axanar and Peters were forced to admit crossing those boundaries:

Paramount Pictures Corporation, CBS Studios Inc., Axanar Productions, Inc. and Alec Peters are pleased to announce that the litigation regarding Axanar’s film Prelude to Axanar and its proposed film Axanar has been resolved. Axanar and Mr. Peters acknowledge that both films were not approved by Paramount or CBS, and that both works crossed boundaries acceptable to CBS and Paramount relating to copyright law.

Meanwhile, the "AxaMonitor" website is continuing to keep tabs on this guy and he's already trying to finagle his way into creative workarounds to the lawsuit settlement. To me, this signals that the money he raises going forward (more on that in a moment) may also end up being for naught if CBS and Paramount have to go after him again for breaking the terms of the settlement.

Axamonitor is already reporting that there's questionable types of fundraising going on. Apparently, the settlement doesn't allow for public fundraising (so no Kickstarter, etc.). But they're publically posting links for people to click on to donate, which leads them to a page to join a mailing list, where then presumably they could continue to solicit for donations. Is that still public? Kinda, kinda not.

Peters is apparently also already trying to piece together how he can still call two 15-minute segments a "90 minute" product by alluding to the eventual DVD/Blu-ray (which apparently the original backers can still be sent under the settlement) including extra content.

I can't believe anybody in the Star Trek community or the industry in general would ever involve themselves with this guy. The whole thing smells bad, and even after settling it still smells bad. That's even after Axanar did even get a few token items in the settlement that other "fan films" aren't getting, like getting to retain his "pro" director and crew (assuming they all end up staying on to do two 15-minute short films).

This guy has such a sketchy vibe to me that I'm at least 50% convinced CBS and Paramount are going to have to drag this guy back into court again before all is said and done.

Vidiot, Encuentro and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

And how!
    [​IMG]

If anybody's on Facebook and curious, there's a group dedicated to the lawsuit here:
    CBS/Paramount v. Axanar Public Group | Facebook »
    Carlos Pedraza from Axamonitor and others post there.

Vidiot and Encuentro like this.
  4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

One of the loopholes Peters could try to use is one I noticed as soon as CBS/Paramount announced the "Fan Film Guidelines." That is, when they say someone can only make two 15-minute shorts, what constitutes the group to whom that limit is applied? Can't they just call it another "new" project with a different combinations of actors/writers/directors, etc., and do another set of 15-minute shorts?

Is it two 15-minute shorts that any person can be involved with in any capacity? Or just two shorts per director? Can the exact same group do a different story and continue to do sets of 15-minute shorts?

So yeah, Peters could do four more 15 minute shorts as long as they are attributed to someone else I guess.

His problem is that not many seem to like him because he is a pretty unlikeable character from everything I've seen, and there's a ton more scrutiny on him. So if we get Peters doing "Axanar Part 1 & 2" and then some other mysterious group doing Part 3 & 4, perhaps calling it a different name, will CBS/Paramount pursue that? I have no idea; it all depends on how the settlement is worded and how strict it is. I would certainly hope CBS/Paramount, despite giving him a few tiny concessions (retaining the pro crew), made it explicitly clear that they want this "Axanar" thing to be over after Peters does his two 15-minute shorts.

I still maintain that I could easily see CBS/Paramount ending up having to take Peters back to court before this is all over.

For the good of the "fan film" community (of which I have no interest; I've never really been into them), I actually kind of wish CBS/Paramount would have done whatever it took, including some minor payout, to get Peters to just sign an agreement to stay away from "Star Trek" in any way. He seems to just poison the whole well in my view. Mark my words, he's probably going to have out within the next year or two a "David vs. Goliath" documentary about the ordeal, put together by more of his surrogates.

I would imagine the only reason CBS/Paramount didn't push for an agreement that just completely washed away anything to do with "Axanar" is that there are all of those donors that should still get *something.*

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ya gotta like that.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Christian Gossett, director of Prelude to Axanar, returns to The Trekzone Spotlight to discuss the settlement. Interesting stuff. If Alec Peters had just listened to Gossett, the full-length feature would have been completed long ago. Now, Peters has to settle for making two fifteen minute vignettes.

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. Encuentro

Despite not being permitted to crowd fund as part of their settlement, the folks at Axanar have just started an Indiegogo campaign under the guise of funding their studio, not the film. I guess they found themselves a loophole. So these guys raised a total of $1.4 million for a fan film that hasn't been produced and used that money to build a studio. Now they want supporters to give them more money to keep the studio open.

Industry Studios The First Fan-Funded Movie Studio

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Technically that part's not even entirely true either:
    Legion M - Wikipedia

Encuentro likes this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Welp. I think the dream is over for Mr. Peters:
    This was shared on the Axamonitor Facebook group.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Encuentro

This sums up the situation nicely.
    [​IMG]

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.