Your top 3 Black Sabbath albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TexasKing, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

And still awesome.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Well the S/T is great too but California, too much cocaine and very low tuning seemed to create magic for my ears . The slow sludge of Vol. 4 makes it my favourite. Some of the slowest, heaviest riffs ever recorded are on that album.

Erik Tracy and GodShifter like this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The Wizard, After Forever and Into The Void is Sabbath for me.

telepicker97 and Erik Tracy like this.
  4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

War Pigs, Into the Void, Killing Yourself to Live, and Thrill of it All...maybe throw in Snowblind and I'd be Sab happy!

Chris Schoen likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, totally. People are saying that Heaven and Hell is nothing without the title track? Yeah, ok. Let's see, there's "Neon Knights" which is one of the most awesome, explosive opening numbers ever; there's "Children of the Sea" which is as majestic as it is heavy. Then we go to the fast paced rocker of "Die Young" and the terrific "Wishing Well". Even "Lady Evil" has its charms. So, no sir, it's not just the title track that makes that album. It's much, much more.

6. Chris Schoen

Is the new vinyl worth getting?

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

By later you would mean TE And NSD. Those grow on you, but that Born Again art never will. :laugh: The mastering, if that's what you would call it, is a challenge.
    I like many tunes on BA, and as much as I like Gillan, he just doesn't fix well in Sabbath. I'm not hot on post Osbourne Sabbath, but found Mob Rules the most likeable effort.

But, it does kick the crap out of bands like Judas Priest!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Myself and some of the other forum members (some sadly gone now) worked pretty hard on compiling an all inclusive Black Sabbath album by album thread some three years ago. We even took on the side projects of the members when Sabbath was on a break. Pretty much every album that any of the members were in (excluding Ozzy who would have his own dedicated thread) was covered. It's a long un' in that it went about 6 parts, but if you're a Sabbath fan it might be a fun read for you (or not). I'm not blowing my own horn, either, because there are some REALLY good reviews on the thread that I had nothing to do with at all. It's a fun deal, in my opinion. Here's a link to the first part:

The Black Sabbath album by album thread (1970-2013) »

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Not to mention Heaven and Hell...what a slow climb to epicness!

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

My top five Sabbath songs:

1. Supernaut
    2. A National Acrobat
    3. Behind the Wall of Sleep
    4. The Writ
    5. Falling Off the Edge of the World (Dio)

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I pretty much agree. I certainly agree that Sabotage is the band's pinnacle, followed by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. In fact, I rank them from Sabotage backward chronologically...then stick NSD, 13, and TE dead last. And as far as the first three seeming primitive...they were a bit. They were made quickly, with minimum production. And I think a lot of simplicity came from the fact that the vocal melody was at times mimicking the guitar riff. By the time Vol 4 came around, they had more time to expand their sound, and the two albums that followed just kept building on that. I should add that "primitive" doesn't necessarily mean "bad", and is certainly not indicative of the musicianship. Some of the greatest records of all time are the most primitive.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Top 3 ....

Vol 4
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Sabotage

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

No. It's horrible.

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Those were the three I picked as well when I re-voted. After completing the listening marathon what stuck in my mind is that they were ascending from the first though Sabotage with that era being the pinnacle.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

For me those albums were always a trilogy and nice to hear in a row. Fantastic music that still punches me in the gut every time I hear it.

17. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

18. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

the first three

just perfect

19. Chris Schoen

O.k. - I will just stick with my well played originals then.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

They're not all horrible. The only that's really bad is the colored Volume 4. Check out the thread noted above for details. Like most reissues, good originals are the way to go but can be expensive so these are a great alternative.

Todd68 likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

As tempted as I am to vote for 13 just to be different, I have to go with the first three.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The whole album is near-perfect - only tracks I'm not completely impressed with are the last two.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

See, I like "Lonely is the Word" but I know quite a few do not (btw, for years I always got the title wrong and thought it was "Lonely is the WorLd", but I know better now ;). I guess I get that "LitW" is a bit directionless and dirge like, but I still like it. I think it has some really good guitar playing on it. It's got kind of a stoner/Robin Trower vibe to it which makes me like it. I mean, I could hear Jim Dewar sing it just as easily.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Majestic is a great word for it. I felt compelled this morning to play COTS and just soak it up.

Jam757 likes this.
  25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I may have responded earlier, but so what? :)

As of now:

Vol. 4
    Paranoid
    Sabotage

Jam757 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.