Six Million Dollar Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Glad they're updating the price. These days, $6 million would barely cover a band-aid.

Grand_Ennui and MikeInFla like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would be enough for just one body part. (And I won't mention which one.)

Kiko1974 and Tree of Life like this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hmm, his name seems SO familiar, but not because of that. I perused his bibliography
    Martin Caidin Books List ยป
    but nothing rings a bell. Indiana Jones And The White Witch?!?

Maybe I'm having a conflation with Hal Clement's Needle which IIRC was the first science fiction book I read.

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Watched another episode "Little Orphan Airplane". Was a little weak but still enjoyable. Still no bionic sfx yet but as someone metioned some of the sfx are a bit silly and laughable. Like when steve removes lugnuts there is an impact wrench sound haha. And when he threw some rocks at an enemy army it sounded like bottle rockets were launching haha. But was still fun to watch can't wait to watch more. Will watch some tonight, this is the last night I will be out of town so I will try to watch 2 episodes. It's pretty boring being holed up at a hotel.

5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have the action figure and spaceship that he plugs into. The rubber on his arm that gets peeled back has long been gone from just being old I guess. I don't remember how old I was when I got it - I'm 48 now. I showed it to my kids in December because it was in a box with some other stuff - G.I. Joe, Lone Ranger, etc. that was near where the x-mas tree is stored. They of course had no idea what any of it was but though the spaceship with all the wires was pretty cool.

Pat

Tree of Life and MikeInFla like this.
  6. MikeInFla

Have watched a few more episodes and I am finding this enjoyable. So far it hasn't ruined it for me and most of the ones I have watched I don't remember. A bit of it is unrealistic (Russians with no accents who speak perfect English, Gary Lockwood having a younger brother who looks just like him) but I can over look those. The nostalgia is still there for me. Looking forward to watching the rest then picking up season 2.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I bought all of the seasons at Target for $10.00 each: I remember liking the show, so I figured I'd take a chance on it again for that price...

8. MikeInFla

Found this pic. Not sure what year, maybe 1977? I had 2 Steve's along the way. One with the Engine block and another with the cross beam. Not sure what my brother is laughing at. Gotta love those 70's hair cuts. This Steve had the "bionic grip" (not to be confused with GI Joe Kung-Fu Grip). Oh and the other guy is "Pulsar" anyone remember him?

[​IMG]

9. Grand_Ennui

I vaguely remember "Pulsar": Was he the one that you could see some of his "innards" when his shirt was off?

10. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

Was that the Toys R Us on the 610 loop ? That line stretched out the door and around the block. Good times in Houston during the late 70's/early 80's- vinyl bootlegs at every record store
    and more beer than a teenager could drink.

11. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I'm reminded of the Christian movie; Do You Believe that he was in a couple years ago. While it's a nice movie with a worthy message. Seeing Majors in a tough predicament & not having him save the day through some miracle (of bionic strength?) and hearing that bionic sound was a bit of a letdown.
    I mean the little kid in me really wanted that even if it wasn't appropriate for the movie (but would have worked anyway).

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

No, this was the one at 45 and Airline. It subsequently closed and was a Star Furniture outlet store for years before that went under as well.

I had a good friend in the early 80s that worked at one of the record stores that always had an impressive selection of live vinyl boots in the racks, and I think he spent more money there than he earned, even taking the employee discount into account. :D

tank64 likes this.
  13. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

If I remember, he was named employee of the month, and customer of the month simultaneously several times. Fun times in Montrose.

Dave Garrett likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

16. MikeInFla

Picked up Season 2 on eBay. I enjoyed Season 1 enough to keep going. Some of it not entirely believable in the 21st Century but still enjoyable. Nuclear Alert was the first episode of season 2 and I liked it. Still no bionic SFX, I wonder when they come in. Also looking forward to "Return of the Robot Maker".

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. MikeInFla

Took a break from DMDM but started watching again. Today's episode had George Foreman in it ("Look Alike")! He takes a bionic punch from Steve and shrugs it off lol! Reminded me of an old kung fu movie with all the yells and stuff haha.

18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The way I remember it was that the series started out good (IMO) but then later the episodes got bogged down in personal issues as opposed to international espionage. Maybe I am thinking of the Bionic Women. Anyone else remember it like that?

19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I just wikipedia'ed it. It was on basically while I was in high school so no action figures for me . I don't think I ever had a action figure of any type other than a GI Joe (one of the older bigger ones - didn't they get smaller later?)

Wiki also said there were some TV movies in the late 80's. I don't even remember them being made much less actually seeing them.

20. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I purchased both the SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN complete series and the BIONIC WOMAN complete series. So far I'm almost through with season 3 SMDM. Just finished the Big Foot 2-parter.

They include the '80s movies which I'm not looking forward to seeing - they look pretty bad. I will say that I really enjoyed the pre-series movies of the week. They had more of a James Bond feel to them, and Steve was more of the ladies man.

21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This goes back to the original novel, Cyborg. Although the first part of the book covers with how Steve Austin deals with his enhancements, the second part of the book is more a James Bond type adventure. His cybernetic enhancements are focused more in the area of spy equipment than was shown in the TV series (among them are a camera in the artificial eye, scuba-type equipment stored in a leg, broadcast antenna located through out his skeleton).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  22. MikeInFla

I barely remember the 80's movies. I saw them when they first aired on TV. I must've been in high school and I remember enjoying them but not sure I would enjoy them now.

Features Sandra Bullock as a "new" bionic woman.

23. MikeInFla

Hmmm... And if you see this you really don't need to see the rest LOL. It's pretty bad, the music is terrible as well and doesn't fit. They use some of the classic bionic sfx but not the sfx for jumping and the "eye beep" effect.

24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I loved the show as a kid and still catch a rerun on Cozi now and then. Many of the plots are indeed implausible, but I suppose that is part of the fun. Besides, Steve & Oscar were likable chaps and Jamie Sommers was a babe and then some. I loved the one where he encounters the Japanese soldier still fighting World War II.

One thing that irked me: They always show the outside corner of the Department of Justice in DC as Oscar's office. Fair enough. But when they speed off in their cars for some reason, the palm trees of SoCal are highly visible.

25. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

A nice blueray release would be welcomed. Go back to the original 35mm elements like they did with Lost in Space.

DreadPikathulhu and MikeInFla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.