Do You Equalize?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ron Scubadiver, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tend to cut rather than boost when the application suits it. maybe superstitious but I dont trust programs for EQing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    tmtomh likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh:

timind and bluemooze like this.
  3. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the man himself...

tmtomh likes this.
  4. chodad

chodad Hodad

Love to EQ. Can't keep my hands off the knobs.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The need to equalize has always been proportionally correlated to how bad my equipment is.

Once I got a setup with quality components, my need to equalize went away.

AmericanHIFI, konut and bluemooze like this.
  6. The Pinhead

Whose knob ?:laugh:

7. Ron Scubadiver

Knob Creek

Bananas&blow likes this.
  8. chodad

chodad Hodad

I love my gear.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

No, I went through that "phase" of playing audio engineer with my system (I think I had a 10 band Pioneer equalizer)
    I believe if you have fairly neutral, or natural sounding components and speakers, and play well mastered cds or records,
    you should be happy with the sound you are getting. If you feel the need to crank away with an equalizer, that may be a
    sign you have something missing in your basic hardware, or setup (imo)

JimmyCool likes this.
  10. CharlieBussell

CharlieBussell Forum Resident

When I finally learned how to properly setup my system in a room, I tossed the EQ into the closet. When I installed some acoustic panels and bass traps, I gave the EQ away to Goodwill.
    I think an EQ is best used in Professional applications when the venue or environment does not allow for good acoustics.

tmtomh and bluemooze like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I don't EQ but I do, on occasion, use my tone controls. If I find I have to use the controls on a recording I generally start hunting for a better mastering of said recording. But I think there times that doesn't exists, a la Queen II, and the controls can have a place.

I also will turn down the treble if I've listened for too long and my ears are going dull.

But 95% of the time I have the "direct" mode enabled. Or the controls flat.

12. matteos

matteos Stereotype

No. The fewer tone controls and rubbish like that, the better. I don't want anything unnecessary in the signal path. It's better to buy gear with a very flat frequency response and fix room nodes with room treatments than to try and fix problems with equalization.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Tone controls are for personal preference and for adjusting playback of poor recordings. Graphic EQs are similar. Room correction is best done with DSP and can implement corrections at lower frequencies than is domestically practical with physical treatments. Purpose-designed rooms are an entirely difference matter.

Hglaser, tmtomh and The Pinhead like this.
  14. Ron Scubadiver

I notice people keep saying "tone controls". A parametric equalizer in the digital signal path may change tone, but it may be used to create a response curve with a whole lot of flexibility. It is a DSP.

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

EQ giveth and EQ taketh away. My preference would be to have no extra analog or digital manipulation in the signal path, as I find just about anything will degrade intrinsic signal quality/purity. However, on cheaper gear, EQ often is necessary to avoid shrillness, too much or not enough bass. When I used better gear, I didn't have any or feel the need for any EQ. YMMV. (I think as my ears age I am more prone to crank up the high frequencies on my portable music player, but that can backfire, too, and just lead to more annoyance.)

16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

No but, given his last major TV role, I bet Edward Woodward would!

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

EQíng speakers? Never. Fools errand. Just like people who try to fix room problems with EQ and dont understand that 1/ it does NOT work, and 2/ the extra stress you are putting on your amp by asking it to try and punch through huge bass nulls in untreated rooms. EQ as in tone controls on amps I dont like either, but thats a personal choice thing and does no harm. Trying to play acoustics/recording engineer with a cheap EQ on your speakers or amp output is just ridiculous IMO.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Total rubbish :rolleyes:! I'm assuming you've never used a room correction system like Dirac. The use of Dirac in my listening room has made a huge difference.

tmtomh and The Pinhead like this.
  19. Ron Scubadiver

You haven't read the thread. I am equalizing at 2k hz and above. What's a cheap EQ? I am using a DSP on a computer. "Fools errand", that is rude.

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

like this one ?:laugh:

[​IMG]

jmczaja likes this.
  21. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Yeah I use DIRAC , it is NOT like EQíng speakers, do you even know how it works? And as great as DIRAC is, it is not great used over 300hz or so. Anyway DIRAC lives on my digital front end. Im mainly concerned with analog these days. Once I properly treated my room, DIRAC didnt seem that magical at all really, however it still useful sub 300hz when needed.

22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

2khz and above? Thats even worse. Read up and what happens when you apply EQ to frequencies in that sort of range. Anyway doesnt matter a dime what I think, works for you? You enjoy it. DSP on a computer = cheap EQ my friend. Not trying to insult you. But EQ's of the type big studios and mastering engineers use dont cost up to and above 10K for no reason.

23. Ron Scubadiver

First it's bass, next it's above 2k. Yeah, it doesn't matter a penny what you think. You are just another guy making things up as fast as you can type so you look like an expert. You are insulting me and lots of other folks who use computer playback

24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

haha, Mate I have been there and done most of it, including building complete rooms and systems from the ground up. But hey, your a newb it seems who wants to forge his own way and knows best, its ok I was like that once too. :)

25. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I used to be the purist type with tone controls and such, and I still am mostly. But I do use the tone controls with my speakers since they are rather small, don't have very deep bass and I don't have a subwoofer. Works well enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.