Star Wars: Rogue One [Now with GIANT SPOILERS, so beware!]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liked the movie, was bugged by CGI Cushing, hated the ending.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. It took you three viewings to come to these conclusions?

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Eh, I wanted to like it. What can I say.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Was anyone biased by the fact that you know going into the film that none of the characters are going to be heard from again?

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nope. I actually didn't know that when I first saw the flick, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I realized I'd never get a sequel to "Titanic" but still enjoyed it! :D

Simon A, Jrr and Vidiot like this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

bluesbro likes this.
  7. I also didn't like the CGI Princess Leia. She didn't look convincing to me. The skin textures up close don't look natural and even how far CGI has come, I still wasn't convinced by the Cushing character portrayal. As I stated before, there is an actor who sort of resembles Cushing from the third film of the "first' trilogy and, using digital make up, I think they could have portrayed him much more convincingly. The Uncanny Valley effect came into play for both and it was disconcerting.

On the other hand, this is, IMHO, better written and more involving than the J.J. Abrams film which basically was an update/remake of the "4th" episode.

8. They already made "Titanic II" but it preceded the latest "Titanic. It was called "The Poseidon Adventure" and THAT was a remake as well.

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It never occurred to me. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense that it had to be that way, but i didn't think about it at all until probably the last 30 minutes of the movie where it became obvious.

10. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Encuentro likes this.
  11. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident

Still within my top 3 SW films...And to be honest I did not notice Tarkin was CGI until it was pointed out to me. Leia wasn't as good, but it was only a few seconds of footage. I still rate the film a solid A after 3 viewings. The only film in the series which gets an A+ is the original and that's because the original will always be the most innovative and interesting to me.

Simon A, Classicolin and FredHubbard like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree completely -- I'd say about half of the Cushing shots looked "somewhat OK," and the other half just looked creepy, particularly the eyes and mouth movements. The Princess Leia shots were awful, just rubbery and weird.

Here's a terrific article about the vast amounts of technology and VFX artistry used to recreate the people for Rogue One:

Part 3: Rogue One, ILM’s Digital Humans Sci-Tech Award winning pipeline | fxguide

[​IMG]

While I don't like the results, I think the article is an interesting read and provides a lot of answers as to how this kind of thing is done, and why it's incredible expensive, complicated, and time-consuming.

Jvalvano and wayneklein like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Same here. Was glad I saw it but I came to that conclusion after the first and only viewing, and I'm a huge fan of all the others.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

?

So you thought Peter Cushing was still alive?

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's interesting to remember that the insurance company paid Universal $32 million after Paul Walker died in order to use CGI to complete all of his scenes... and that movie was half finished. They had a lot less material to do on Rogue One with Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher, but I bet it was still on the order of $50,000 a second. I would be very surprised if it cost less than $10 million to create that 90 seconds of material... and it still looks a little dodgy.

But: the movie made a billion dollars, so it doesn't matter.

16. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident

No, I thought they'd gotten a very similar looking replacement. I'm well aware that he's been dead for 20 odd years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

You didn't know that the Rebels were able to steal the plans? ;)

wayneklein likes this.
  18. Lol. No, it's the fact that a dead man kept winking at me on screen!

19. Encuentro

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

And then another release in December, if they follow the Force Awakens pattern. I may just have to wait.

22. Encuentro

23. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I'm in for the target exclusive

24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Still no 4K Blu-ray. Come on, Disney, take my money!!!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  25. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

No deleted scenes, commentary or trailers. Expect a double-dip release in a few months.

Billy Budapest and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.