Universal and Sony Hong Kong SACD, K2 HDCD, UltraHD CD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, May 23, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

People like soundtracks. Uni released two of his soundtracks, they may do more. Soundtracks usually sound good, but 24-bit mastering was used from 1998. I'm not sure, if they used it for Gattaca... They are not going to do remaster, as I see it.

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I read somewhere sime time ago that the soundtrack for Gattaca was tracked and mixed-down to 24 bit digital. Sony Music Studios, which is where it was recorded had 24 bit equipment since 1995.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

All the Japan 2003 re-issues were compressed somewhat and lost a bit of dynamic range. I think they sound OK, but many definitely prefer the originals.

Musicisthebest and toilet_doctor like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

This is nothing to do with Japanese reissues. They used official world-wide remaster, provided from main office. Originals have a poor sound presentation - sound flat with narrow soundstage and weak separation due to tech limitations. I don't think that 'Japan' (the band) releases are an exclusion, while I don't have them. Many early 24-bit remasterings have its own flows, you mentioned, but the worth are those been done in the Loudness War times 2005-2008. Those definitely sound worse than originals.

In the end of 2008 Uni Japan started new project named simply Pepersleeve Reissue with their own Japanese 24-bit Remaster (Limited Edition - each copy has an insert with Copy Number). These sound from good to very good. I always recommend everybody to buy Japan Mini LP starting from 2008 with Japanese Remaster. (Unfortunately, 'Japan' was belong to EMI at the time and didn't get a new Remaster) All those remastered titles are long time OOP and cost double of the retail price.

However, good news is: Uni began to reissue them, starting from Jan. 2017. So, if you did tight some pennies, go for them without hesitation. But be careful, as they cut some corners anyway: such are two first Camel albums, which stupidly didn't get 2009 Remaster at the time like the rest Camel albums.

Let's see what Uni will do with 'Japan' SACDs. Is this damn 2003 Remaster doubtful? O, Yeah!

5. toilet_doctor

It's only can be 20-bit equipment and 1997 is damned year for all CD releases, as they (major labels) were so proud of that tech that didn't touch '97 releases for may years. While they quickly jumped on 24-bit tech. Because difference in the sound between 16 and 20-bit is subtle, but between 20 and 24-bit is huge. 24-bit is critical point, where Quantity transforms into the Quality.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  6. EddieVanHalen

The soundtrack for Independence Day was tracked to analog and mixed down to 24 bit digital at Sony Scoring Stage in 1996.

7. toilet_doctor

Could you provide something to support this story. Because Gattaca soundtrack (CD) was released 1997. Almost all my 1997 CDs had big silver sticker: "New 20-bit Remaster for better sound quality." Like I said, they were so proud of it. JVC used it for their Audiophile releases up to 2004(!) I have never met 1997 album with 24-bit mastering.

8. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

IMO this should read "While they quickly jumped on 24-bit tech. Because difference in the sound between 16 and 20-bit is subtle, but between 20 and 24-bit is huge. 24-bit is critical point, where Quantity has the potential to transform into the Quality"

There are a lot of compressed 24 bit masters out there. The last set of Universal's Van Morrison reissues are a case in point.

9. EddieVanHalen

I'm not talking about mastering (the mastering for the soundtrack for Gattaca is uncredited) but recording and mixing. Let's jump one year, 1998, the soundtrack for Deep Impact was recorded,mixed and mastered to 24 bit digital.
    If you got, or listened to, the soundtrack for Independence Day, then you have met with a hybrid of 24/20 digital mastering. This recording was (as I stated before) tracked to analog (regardless of what the SPARS code on the back of the CD says), mixed down to 24 bit digital and mastered to HDCD wit is theoretical resolution of 20 bits.

10. toilet_doctor

There is a big potential to spoil everything.

11. toilet_doctor

Happy New Year, guys!

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ahem... http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacds-and-dvd-as.635838/

13. rbholbrook

rbholbrook Forum Resident

Any reports/thoughts on the Univsersal jazz UHQCD series? Very nice price and lots of titles not in the AP jazz series...

14. toilet_doctor

Thank you for pointing out.
    Yes, Uni Japan went mainstream now with announcement of Jazz 100th Anniversary UHQCD Campaign. 50 Jazz titles will be released on March 8. I will report at our UHQCD thread soon (not here, please).
    Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more »

15. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Have just order a Gerry Beckley UHQCD ,Van go gan,Gerry of America group fame.Will report on the sound quality in due course.

16. toilet_doctor

I just posted complete list of titles of the Uni UHQCD Jazz series. Please all comments should be at UHQCD thread. We will talk about Gerry too.

17. rbholbrook

rbholbrook Forum Resident

Thanks - I stand corrected as you're right the earlier listings on the Universal Japan store are for shm-CDs. I was inspired to go read through lots of the earlier threads on the Universal Japan SHM-CDs. Will likely get those as well.

18. toilet_doctor

19. toilet_doctor

Update:

Universal HK Hybrid SACD (Limited to 1000 copies) series

Jan. 20, 2017

Japan Oil on Canvas (Live; 600753736890)
    Japan Tin Drum (600753736876)
    Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids (600753737019)

Yes, guys, Uni didn't go mainstream with HK SACD yet, but on a bright side they continue this very limited series.
    I finally received all 3 'Japan' albums and here is:

Review:

I started with Gentlemen Take Polaroids (copy # 0798).
    Sound was very open and clear with deep soundstage, airiness and good separation between instruments; bass was deep and speedy; very good dynamics and crank-ability - everything remind me my SHM-SACDs. So, was brightness of the trebles (like in the flat transferred SHM-SACD) there? Yes, damn, it was - in vocal more or less vary from track to track (in tracks 7 and 9 brightness were unnoticeable).
    Forget about 2003 Remaster... To my ears it is Flat Transfer from Master Tape. (Of course, Uni didn't mention anything in credit notes, as for entire series).
    Overall it was uplifting experience to listen to this album.

Then I took Oil on Canvas (copy # 0625). It is Live album and I compared the same tracks from Gentlemen album. Studio versions had a bit better dynamics and overall clarity of the sound. But Live ones came very close on the most of the tracks. And bass was good, especially on a track # 2 'Song of Pioneers' and Track # 6. So, I would put them next to each other with Gentlemen Take Polaroids on top.

Tin Drum (copy # 0132): I decided do not post this review until I could spend more time with this album today, and I can tell it surpassed both 'Japan' albums I mentioned with smoother and more clear sound through the entire spectrum; dynamics was better here and bass... it was tight, precise and clean. Bass went crazy on a 'Song of Pioneers' track, when I cranked the volume, reminding my best SHM-SACDs with killer bass performance. It's also less bright and though tiny bit of brightness still was there, I'd put it on a bottom of the Best/Outstanding category anyway.

One guy asked me to check Red Book layer, if it's the same mastering. So I did with Tim Drum. Everything was the same, even the same excellent bass, but the deference was in a sound presentation:
    SACD layer sounds airy with deeper soundstage and better separation, more open and clear. However, RB layer had less brightness in vocal, especially in a player 768 upsampling mode.

I'm glad he gave me an idea to compare these two layers because absolutely the same difference was when I compared flat transferred single layer SHM-SACD with their Platinum SHM-CD counterparts. Only with Red Book layer the difference was on a much bigger margin. Platinum disc came way closer to SACD sound.

All of that gave me one more reason to believe:
    'Japan' band release was done by using Flat Transfer from Master Tape.

I have a lot of good sounding single layer SHM-SACDs with Flat Transfer and they sound exactly like these 3 'Japan' albums: with excellent dynamics, fast and punchy bass and a bit on a bright side, preventing them to step up into Outstanding category. Regardless of that I love such a sound very much. Yes, it has a bit of cold feel, but it fits to the Rock and full scale of Symphonic Orchestra music perfectly.

At the same time, good sounding single layer SHM-SACDs with Traditional Mastering have different sound with bass also deep, but not so fast, more ambient; it does not shoot directly into you, but going around, filling entire room. And the best of them with a good dynamics and ability to play loud anyway sound a bit laid back comparably to flat transferred ones. It's a warm sound.

This is a fact without explanation. But it gave me an idea (my guess only):
    Uni planned to use 2003 Remaster, but, when they tried that outdated remaster, they may don't like the sound much and used Flat Transfer.
    What they only need... they need just two damn things: a Good Recorded Master Tape and a bit more time to make it right. Not 12 albums at the time, but 3-4 and everything will be alright.

Musically speaking it is 3-album extension to Roxy Music / Bryan Ferry catalog - I missed them in 80's and enjoying right now. Yes, like one comment said: " Strong vocal [low baritone] and Prominent Bass line is a signature marks of this band" and an excellent lower end of the Flat Transfer raised precisely the most powerful moments of the group, and I enjoyed it even more.

I can recommend all of them with a clear conscience.

Japan Tin Drum - Best
    Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids - Very Good
    Japan Oil on Canvas - Very Good

System used:
    Player: Cary Audio 360 Pro SACD
    Power amp: Coda Technologies KiloWatt Monoblocks
    Preamp: Coda Technologies
    Speakers: B&W Nautilus 802
    Interconnects: Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver
    Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver Shotgun

Davidmk5, Echo, art and 1 other person like this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Any chance you could provide the DR values of the CD layer?

jsayers likes this.
  21. toilet_doctor

Nope, but I hope someone will.

22. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

I am happy to, but mine are still in shrink at the moment.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm very interested in a second opinion on these before I jump - thanks!

24. toilet_doctor

As I said in Post 288:
    I will buy and review all of them to let people know shortly after release date - nobody should waste such a money on a bad sound.

And I did. Now your turn, guys...

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yes you did. But you state in your review that you think these are flat masterings from the original master tapes, NOT created from the 2003 remasters as stated in the label's product description.
    That's a pretty tall statement and I'm curious what a few more people think. I can't find any reviews online, just tons of folks selling them!

varitone, toilet_doctor and Echo like this.