IMDb eliminating its message boards

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I guess maybe it's like that for newer and/or more famous movies and shows, but I never really noticed things like that with the discussions I saw. Which is why I object to blanket statements about their boards. But it doesn't matter anymore--in two weeks, all those posts will vanish into thin air like those on Television Without Pity (TWoP, remember them?) did a few years ago.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Glad I could be of service.

MikaelaArsenault and Malina like this.
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think there whole angle is they want everybody to pay to use IMDB
    It won't fish the trouble makers..
    Yes there was a lot petty fights.. but that many users oh boy , there going to get from
    a lot of people.. stand by...

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

this sucks ! but that said I get more answers from here rather than idiots trolling !

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  5. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I'm sad to see it go. I've been a registered member on there since 2005. I've always enjoyed posting questions about movies and TV shows. The only thing I don't care for is the software they use for the boards. I like viewing the threads in 'flat' view, but it makes it very difficult to know which post in the thread a poster is replying to since many posters don't quote posts.

6. Along with the good posts, you had a whole bunch of assholes trolling the site. My guess is ok,e the others--it's too costly to maintain/clean up. I think also as others pointed out, they want to generate additional revenue using the page for ads vs. the boards.

I was able to connect with a couple of.folks I worked with on film projects, etc. there. Too bad it's going bye bye.

Texastoyz likes this.
  7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Well cr@p on a stick. I, like others who've posted here, used them to find out info on movies/tv shows, actors, etc.. Heck, directors even participated in some discussions. Yes, there were bad posters posting there, probably as many or more than the good ones. But still, this is/was a great resource. I gotta believe it's one and, or, two things, A dollar decision, i.e., cost to maintain the boreds was hurting their ROR and or studios didn't like criticism (posted already on this thread)

moj and Texastoyz like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It wasn't moderated.
    A little tsk tsk would have helped from a mod. No point in getting IMDb Pro if no message board. Got IMDb Twitter, but not the same thing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have. 95% seems to be idiots shouting abuse at each other or fairly unintelligent opinions. They won't be missed.

If someone wants to chat about films then use a forum that has decent moderation.

O Don Piano, Fred68 and Myke like this.
  10. I always thought it was kinda fun seeing the comments others made about a given Film. Yeah, there were plenty of Trolls, but some of it was interesting. Guess I'll look elsewhere for that kind of commentary.

Honestly, I mostly used IMDB for identifying Actors, their History of performances, and most importantly, locations. I get a kick out of seeing some of them and sometimes I am looking for places for future Vacations.

AndrewS and Texastoyz like this.
  11. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

People will laugh at Facebook in the future the way they laugh at AOL today.

12. alexpop

There's petitions already.
    Ha ! We know what happened to
    Save The BeAtles catalog. :)

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I went through my entire post history last night, which took awhile. It went back to 2006. It was fun revisiting discussions on shows I'd long forgotten about and actors or actresses I now barely remember. I corrected some typos. Nice that you can do that even 10 years later, but its a sad it will all disappear soon. Maybe it will get archived somewhere, so I made the corrections just in case.

Texastoyz likes this.
  14. DLD

DLD Senior Member

In their message announcing the shutdown they encourage former users to go to their Facebook page for discussion. That is a LOL joke. All they have there are promos of flicks, top ten lists, etc.. Kinda funny looking at the comments under their posts in the last 2 days, they almost all are related to the message bored decision. I would encourage my comrades here, who want to discussion boreds to be kept alive, to visit and leave a negative response under some of their posts. You won't be alone, lol. FTR, I like their message boreds and frequent them constantly.

IMDb | Facebook

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good idea, I put my 2 cents on their page.

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"IMDb: what you do instead of things"

This joke, by the way, was borrowed from YouTube content producer Tony Goldmark.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've been an IMDB contributor for 10+ years and I have never found the message boards useful at all. :shrug:

18. alexpop

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

TechCrunch: One of the worst comments sections on the internet is shutting down

One of the worst comments sections on the internet is shutting down

Good riddance to one of the worst places to socialize on the internet. Amazon-owned IMDb announced today it will be closing down its discussion board later this month, and turning off the ability for users to private message each other. The company claimed the decision was made because the boards were “no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide.”

Anyone familiar with the boards would say that’s putting it mildly. Like many large, internet gathering places without strict moderation capabilities in place, IMDb’s boards didn’t serve the community as intended. That is, they failed to offer a place to have productive conversations about movies, shows, actors, and other members of the entertainment industry.

Instead, the boards were notoriously known for hosting some of the most pointless and hateful commentary around. They’ve been compared, in many cases, to YouTube’s sort of unfettered brand of internet commentary – which is another way of saying, these boards were full of trolling. There’s an entire Reddit thread about the matter, in fact.

Often, the boards only seemed to exist for people to bash others’ dissenting opinions, or thoroughly trash the TV or movies being discussed, no matter how critically acclaimed or generally popular. At their worst, they would delve into other sorts of offensive commentary, or even racist remarks. . . .

The closure is also partly influenced by the fact that on-site commenting is no longer many users’ preferred means of discourse. We’ve already seen a number of internet publishers shutting off commenting because it’s not worth the time to keep them spam-free and moderated. Discussion has instead shifted to other, larger social networks, like Facebook and Twitter. . . .

In addition, IMDb’s value to Amazon is not really in the social side of the business, it’s the database itself, which is used to power features like X-Ray for Movies and TV Shows. This leverages IMDb data to help bring information about actor bios, background info, and more to Amazon Video, Fire TV and other devices. . . .

20. PonceDeLeroy

If anybody thinks IMDB's comments section is bad then they've probably never read comments at the Washington Post. You wouldn't believe what some posters defend.

I've found IMDB to be civil by comparison.

alexpop, Rufus McDufus and shokhead like this.
  21. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Ummmmmm, that's straying towards a certain verboten area of commentary, eh?

While I have found the occasional tidbit of useful information on the IMDB discussion boards, more often than not it was used by a friend and myself for comic relief, including the single most popular thread title in internet history: "worst movie ever!".

22. PonceDeLeroy

Well what I said actually applies to the baseball topics' comments which can be breathtakingly rude, so I don't think that's a forbidden area. :)

Damien DiAngelo and 4xoddic like this.
  23. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Sad..to see them go..I found out last evening when it was announced, Feb.3.

24. alexpop

25. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.