A slew of ZAPPA re-issues coming in March 2017!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I went to the Zappa Forum, to see if "Dance Me This" was truly out-of-print',
    and 'Idiot Bastard Son' hipped me to the soon-to-be-re-issued set of ZTF releases thru UMe..
    and, there's a BUNCH OF 'EM!
    from "Civilization" to "Dance Me This"!
    Amazon.com: zappa: CDs & Vinyl

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Great! I'm missing a couple of those!
    I can0t help thinking in those poor people who paid a thousand dollars for getting distribution rights of Roxy By Proxy some years ago :shake:

bluesbro and vince like this.
  3. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

I'm missing a couple as well. Nice to see them distributed at fair prices without being overcharged on shipping by the ZFT. I wonder if these are being re-pressed by UME or if these are unsold ZFT stock.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm sure they are re-pressed by UME. They did it last year with Lumpy Money (and maybe another title, I can't remember).
    It would be lovely if they did the same with Bat Chain Puller and Trout Mask Replica too.

dlokazip likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Proper albums
    SACDs please.

Jarleboy, eyeCalypso and cdova1 like this.
  6. Awesome! I just discovered the existence of "Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison" (all synclavier) -- and there are several others here I never got around to picking up.

I can easily see picking up 4-6 titles in the next 6 months.

marc with a c and Rne like this.
  7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Nice to see these all in print again with UME. For all the ZFT bashing, they kept all of their releases available (until the last year or so). None of the limited edition crap, which would have made them more money. You could still order CPIII from BS 20 years after it was released.

I own all of these already, but for a new Zappa fan, they can get these cheaply and easily.

dlokazip and Cherrycherry like this.
  8. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Finally I can get Civilization Phase III at a decent price. One of roommates from college had a copy of it but I never got around to getting my own edition of it. Thanks for the heads up Vince!

9. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I am in for a few of these, particularly the complete show live stuff.

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Well. Only 18 releases I need from that lot. :oops:
    I hope we get 'em in the UK too but that release date is the same as an expensive box set from the man in my avatar so unless I get a windfall by then Macca will have to wait. Frankie First! :righton:

oxegen and vince like this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Smart man.... or 'bloke', as they say in your country....
    not only will there be a 'Big Macca' on that date, but the new RESIDENTS album comes out that day, too!

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm glad to see them making this stuff available again at an affordable price. I have most of the live archival releases from the early 70s, but would anyone care to recommend one or two of live releases from the second half of the decade? I'll confess that my interest in his stuff starts to trail off a bit as the decade wears on, though I know there are still plenty of gems on some of those albums (I generally like Lather, barring some of the more indulgent joke tracks.).

13. edenofflowers

I've sort of stopped buying Residents a few years back, I just didn't/don't have the cash or time anymore. There was a thread about it I think but I just found the amount of releases and limited nature of them wore me out and, after a year or so, I was so far behind I gave up buying most of their newer releases. I still keep up on Rz/Chuck stuff but I rarely buy any.

Frank, meanwhile, I've always got time for (if not always money). I'll probably have to pick and choose on the 24th but I'm particularly keen on getting Monkeys, Dance Me This, OZ, Buffalo, Camoflage and Healing. Some of the rest might have to wait a few weeks but I'm really glad for the chance to get these at an affordable price. The last time was back at a Dweezil show where I could pick up a bunch but before then I placed a big order through Zappa.com and it was really steep, especially with import customs charge. All this and the Palladium box too? Not 'arf!

14. edenofflowers

Hammersmith Odeon is a barnstormer of a release. Terry Ted's on FIRE and the whole band play tightly and energetically. I like it very much. There's not a ton of late 70s stuff and, for me, this one is the pick of the pops.

Mr. H, marc with a c and boboquisp like this.
  15. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I'd like 20 of them, but they aren't listed on Amazon.ca yet. Yesterday I was actually looking to see if there was any new stuff coming and struck out, so was really excited to see this thread. But nothing here for Canadians yet... With some luck they'll add them soon. Some titles I really want. In fact, checking my lists, I still want 23 Zappa titles so 20 would really help tidy things up!

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Neat.

There's a fat half-dozen I still need, most of them the multi-disc live shows like Carnegie and Hammersmith.

Appreciate the earthbound prices.

boboquisp and Mr. H like this.
  17. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

It might be just past your time threshold, but Buffalo REALLY shouldn't be slept on. Total scorcher.

agn, fredgsanford, gd0 and 2 others like this.
  18. Are any of these slated March releases new or just reissues? Nothing that hasn't been sold online in the past decade, correct?

19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Zappa has so many releases in so many different versions of each release over the years it's such a headache to try to even think about collecting them all. My hat's off to all of you who can. I tried a few years back but it seems impossible so I stopped.

At this point I'm the rare person who just wish they would fill do a monster box set of 6-8 discs (half studio/half live) highlighting his career. Also, don't put a number on the side of the box like it's the next release because it would cause my obsessive self to realize that I still have 100 more to get to have them all and start the whole madness over again.

20. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

21. Cherrycherry

That one looks like a new cover on the album.

22. I think I saw the LP and previous CD issue had different covers. (The CD here does seem to match the original CD issue.)

23. Cherrycherry

Below is what is my CD! Purchased from BS when it came out.
    [​IMG]

24. edenofflowers

I noticed that Trance-Fusion wasn't one of the releases. That'd be the only CD that would not be currently available if that's the case.

25. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

You know, I've definitely fallen prey to the common notion that the posthumous and/or ZFT releases are "lesser," with diminishing returns and all that. But seeing so many of them in a list like that, I have to admit it is a pretty impressive set of archival releases. I hope they keep it up.

rufus t firefly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.