KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

After the failure and infighting of the first thread which the original OP @If I Can Dream_23 seems to have abandoned in frustration, there was enough support from members of that thread to continue the idea in a new one. I have agreed to take over and carry the torch for awhile. Ideally, I'd prefer to cover the years from 1974 to 1983 and then let someone else take over. However, if nobody will do so, then I'll begrudgingly keep it going. We'll see how it plays out. I intend to do only one song per day and hopefully can continue on a daily basis unless life gets in the way.

So, without further ado, let's get started with Side 2 of KISS's 1974 debut. I have linked the previous thread beneath the summary and song for those that wish to catch up and have the continuity of the first side of the album. I hope you enjoy.

KISSIN’ TIME (1975) (Bernie Lowe/Karl Mann)

A song originally performed by singer Bobby Rydell in 1959 and written by Bernie Lowe and Karl Mann.

Kissin’ Time was not originally included on the 1974 debut, but included after Neil Bogart decided that the band needed a catchy hit to save the record after the album was struggling on the charts. It was released as a single on May 10th (more than two months after the album’s initial release) and was included in the 1974 July reissue of KISS.

Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley all take turns on lead vocals for the song. The band was not very pleased with having to redo the Bobby Rydell hit from 1959 and felt that a lot of the lyrics didn’t suit a hard rock band, so they re-did the song a bit by changing the lyrics. The band apparently came up with the alternative lyrics in a 20 minute cram session.

The song didn’t do nearly as well as the Rydell version only reaching number 83 on the US Pop Charts. Despite its fairly lackluster performance, it did help move the debut album into the 87th position on the charts.

First thread link:
    Kiss: The Songs 1974-1996

[Moderator note: For ease of navigation, a thread index has been created by @Cheevyjames and is available here: KISS: The Songs 1974-2012 ]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I always liked Kissin' Time...as a kid I didn't know it was a cover, and I didn't know it was tacked onto the album without the band knowing.
    Now when I go back it's pretty clear that it was recorded at a different time, but I still enjoy it.

3. GodShifter

Wait, the band didn't know the song was going to be added to the album? I find that hard to believe. What did they think they were doing? Just recording a single?

I have to admit I've never paid the song too much attention and had somewhat of a negative opinion of it, but after listening to it for this thread, I have to say it's not as bad as I had thought. I've never been a big fan of the anthem like, sing a long things KISS has done (that will come out more in later song reviews), but I don't find this one too bad.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Going off memory...Neil Bogart got them to record it as a promo for a "kissing contest" and then had it tacked onto the album.

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  5. I've always liked this song and I consider it an important part of the first album, even though it was recorded on a later session and added to later pressings of the debut LP. If you ask me, the production style and sound of this track more closely matches the sonic signatures of Hotter than Hell (the LP) but with better recorded instruments/mix. I'm a big fan of the three vocalist/Humble Pie approach. I wish they would have done more of this style on later albums. I listen to and enjoy the debut a lot more now than I used to.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Supposedly, they actually played it live one single time back in '74, I believe in Seattle...but there's no tape of it that's ever circulated.

In advance, I'm not counting times played on a cruise ship, etc. in the last few years!

7. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Wasn't there a clip of the KISSing Kontest on one of their official video comps? Rather unpalatable, iirc.

KISSing Time is great, one of the highlights of the 'Originals' triple vinyls set I grabbed in summer 77. One of their least offensive cover versions IMO.

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

It's interesting to hear the elements that KISS-ized the sound and also highlights the energy they threw into the recording process at that early time (Ace's lead, Peter's vocal performance, Gene's phrasing). Given that it was a cover and an add-on, it could have been worse. It does sound like it could have been a KISS song though, lyrically, although understated.

Here, to save you from the search:

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Kissin' Time is a fun single and not abrasive to my ears. I'd rather hear this than Just A Boy any day! Grade C

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Kissin' Time has the great sound of a four piece band. Nice loud bass, not the last time Peter will do some very Keith Moon like lead drumming. Can't say I really like the lyrics, and they're definitely the weakest part of the song but they don't bother me either. Just a fun tune.

To review...

Strutter-classic KISS song, no KISS compilation is complete without it.
    Nothin' To Lose-pretty strongly dislike this song. Don't care what it's about, it just doesn't work for me.
    Firehouse-another KISS classic
    Cold Gin-when I'm down in the dumps and I need something to bring me up....I usually listen to Van Halen. But Cold Gin is pretty cool too!
    Let Me Know-another dud, bottom of the album for me.

warewolf95, Cachiva and GodShifter like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Let Me Know is fantastic!!

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think they knew about it, but weren't thrilled about it. They had to try to rewrite it to fit their leather clad image, and I'm sure they were probably a bit embarrassed by it. I do remember reading them talking about these Kissathons or whatever they were...and they would sneak in the line "kissin' time", so at least they were out there trying to promote it. I'm actually shocked it got as high as it did on the charts. Now, I've never heard the album without it...so removing it makes the second side just feel too short to me, particularly considering another track is an instrumental. It's not horrible, it just feels completely out of place.

DoF, dadonred and GodShifter like this.
  13. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

How can anyone like KISS and not like the end to Let Me Know?

14. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They get a pass on the lyrics, since they didn't write the tune!

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

Give it time. If the previous thread is any indication it's entirely possible I'm just a hater!:D

dadonred and GodShifter like this.
  16. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I always enjoyed "Kissin' Time." Any tune where they alternate lead singers is great and is, to my ears, a key part of the early KISS dynamic. Re. their not knowing it would be on the album, I think Gene said in his book that it was recorded with the understanding that it would not appear on an album, but then it got tacked onto later pressings of the debut LP.

17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It was Scott Shannon, then working at a radio station in Nashville, who came up with the of recording Kissin' Time and sold Bogart on the idea.. The contests were already planned, having been inspired by a radio station in Florida. It's interesting that both ideas came from outside the company.

Later, Shannon worked in promotion and A&R at Casablanca, and it was he that was responsible for pushing 'Beth' to radio.

The same Scott Shannon who later became famous at Z-100 and Scott Shannon's Rockin' America, and whatever else he does.

Wil1972, billygtexas and Cachiva like this.
  18. GodShifter

Is everybody cool with the one song per day deal? I could probably do two a day but I'm trying to be realistic in terms of what I can get done in a day; plus I hate threads where stuff is too rushed. What's the consensus/happy medium?

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

One is probably all I have time for

GodShifter likes this.
  20. GodShifter

Honestly, me too. I think I'll stay with one.

moops likes this.
  21. SizzleVonSizzleton

You could always put up two songs at a time and leave them for two days. Less time commitment for you. Two songs per day is too fast. But again, whatever you want to do, I'm cool.

superstar19 and GodShifter like this.
  22. GodShifter

I might do that. Good idea; it might come to that if my schedule looks crazy for a bit.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

24. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

The average of one a day seems about right. Most of us will have times where we'll be catching up on several days worth of posts, and sometimes if people get too far behind they feel inclined to just bail out.

But life obviously interferes with our best-laid plans, so if you know you're looking at a few days where you won't have time to do this, just go ahead and do the next two (or three) songs, but then leave them up a few extra days so people have time to catch up. That's what I would be inclined to do.

Mostly, I just wanted to thank you again for taking this up and keeping this going. We really appreciate it.

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Thought it might be interesting to see how altered the lyrics are:

Bobby Rydell
    They're kissin' in Cleveland, Kansas City, too
    They're wailin' in Wildwood, back at Waterloo
    They're smoochin' all over, even in St. Loo
    So uh-baby get ready, I'm a-kissin' you

Oh, baby 'cause summertime is kissin' time USA
    So treat me right, a-don't-a make-a me fight
    The Battle of New Orleans tonight

They're kissin' on beaches, sea to shining sea
    Smoochin' on benches, near the Christmas tree
    Lipstick on collars down in Tennessee
    So a-baby, come on now, start by kissin' me

Oh, oh 'cause summertime is kissin' time USA
    So press your tasty lips to mine
    Sweeter than wine and feels so fine, wa-hoo!!

Mmm, 'cause summertime is kissin' time USA
    So treat me right, a-don't-a make-a me fight
    The Battle of New Orleans tonight

They're kissin' in drive-ins, you too, Baltimore
    Rockin' at dances, land and sea and shore
    Then it's off to Dee-troit, they all know the score
    So, a-baby, oh baby, what are we waitin' for?

Oh, 'cause summertime is kissin' time USA

So press your tasty lips to mine
    Sweeter than wine

Kiss
    Come on Charlotte
    Wake up San Diego, Milwaukie, Miami
    Put your two lips together and kiss

We're kissin' in Cleveland, and Cincinnatti too
    Way out in Chicago, I'll tell you what to do
    They party all over, even in St. Lou
    So baby get ready and I'll be kissin' you

Oh, oh, 'cause anytime is kissin' time, USA