Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds UK/European Tour Dates Announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gohill, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gohill

gohill Senior Member Thread Starter

Finally European and UK Tour announced - Really big arenas for the 1st time. Not really ideal for the intimacy of his more recent work as they have always avoided playing huge places like these. Oh well

Full dates are below, with tickets on sale from 9am on Friday 17 February.

September
    24 Bournemouth UK Bournemouth International Centre
    25 Manchester UK Arena
    27 Glasgow UK The SSE Hydro
    28 Nottingham UK Motorpoint Arena
    30 London UK The O2
    October
    3 Paris France Zénith
    6 Amsterdam Netherlands Ziggo Dome
    7 Frankfurt Germany Jahrhunderthalle
    9 Hamburg Germany Sporthalle
    10 Luxembourg Rockhal
    12 Düsseldorf Germany Mitsubishi Electric Halle
    13 Antwerp Belgium Sportpaleis
    16 Oslo Norway Spectrum
    18 Stockholm Sweden Ericsson Globe
    20 Copenhagen Denmark Royal Arena
    22 Berlin Germany Max-Schmeling Halle
    24 Warsaw Poland Torwar
    26 Prague Czech Rep. O2 Arena
    28 Belgrade Serbia Kombank Arena
    30 Ljubljana Slovenia Dvorana Tivoli
    November
    1 Vienna Austria Stadthalle
    2 Munich Germany Zenith
    4 Padova Italy Kioene Arena
    6 Milan Italy Forum
    8 Rome Italy PalaLottomatica
    12 Zurich Switzerland Hallenstadion
    13 Geneva Switzerland Arena
    16 Athens Greece Faliro Sports Arena (Tae Kwon Do)
    19 Tel Aviv Israel Menorah Arena

Ric-Tic and wolfram like this.
  2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

No show in Finlando_O
    Would have hoped to see this show in intimate venue.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  3. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Manchester Arena for me but, as stated above, I can't imagine seeing the Skeleton Tree/Push The Sky songs played in such a venue. Would be fine for some Grinderman but these Bad Seed songs would work best in a close and intimate place.

FangfossFlyer and moj like this.
  4. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

I'll be at the London show but I have to agree with what others have said about the size of the venues. Much prefer seeing Nick in smaller venues like Hammersmith Apollo where I last saw him in 2015 (great show btw). I also think doing a tour entirely in arenas is quite ambitious. I hope they can pull it off as I'm a massive Nick Cave fan and he deserves all the success in the world for all the amazing music he and his group have made over the years.

5. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The dynamics of some of the Push the Sky material worked brilliantly at Glastonbury a couple of years ago. Jubilee Street was immense! Warren Ellis is practically demonic towards the end! :)

Wild Frank likes this.
  6. gary191265

And this is how you connect with an enormous crowd that's 75 yards from the stage...watch it until the end if you've never seen it!

Probably scared the living **** out of the kids that were there to see Mumford and Sons afterwards :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Marzz, Group of One and BeardedSteven like this.
  7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@gary191265 Yep, I know and I have seen that footage from Glastonbury many times.
    But it is like @gohill already mentioned here, the last couple albums from Nick Cave would have required far more intimate venues than big arenas.
    I see these announcements are really getting people angry on the internet.

8. gary191265

I wasn't doubting that most people had seen it, just saying that he/they can easily put across a performance in enormodomes. Plus, tickets were getting increasingly difficult to purchase for the smaller theatres he normally does, and no-one seems to do multiple nights in small venues anymore. I don't see anything worth anyone getting their panties in a tangle over.

We'll be going because my wife missed most of the Glastonbury performance to take our youngest daughter to meet friends to catch a performance on another stage and was really pissed off about it (it was one of the few times it was pointless asking me to go!)

9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok. Yes, I get now what you were meaning. It must have been difficult to book some of these shows as for the points you mentioned.
    I think if Finland doesn't get the show, then I might have travel to some other country to see them live. Have to look closer to this matter, when the time comes.

gary191265 likes this.
  10. gary191265

At least you've probably got more chance of getting a ticket ;)

11. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

but , unfortunately , there is no epic Jubilee Street type song on Skeleton Tree ( which still leaves me cold by the way )

12. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

They are huge now , i dont think they will have a problem filling those venues
    Zenith in Paris is not that big
    but yes , i have fond memories of the Bad Seeds playing the Olympia in Paris , better suited to the music

13. gary191265

I've seen his material take on a whole new dimension at times though, once the live Seeds are let loose on it. Plus, I imagine this tour will take on a whole new level of catharsis.

14. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

I know they have become gradually more popular over the last decade. Here in the UK, their last three albums reached the Top 5 with Skeleton Tree peaking at No.2 for 2 weeks. I'm just surprised that they've made the decision to do a full arena tour rather than multiple nights at 3,000-5,000 capacity venues like they normally do. It's not put me off buying a ticket though. I always like to see my favourite artists regardless of the type of venue they're playing. It's certainly not something I would get upset over by any means.

15. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

I saw the recent show in Brisbane at a large open air venue called Riverstage. The stage is at the bottom of a hill near the river, and the audience are on the grass
    on a fair slope going uphill from the stage. Acoustics were poor (I was near the top of the hill near the drinks, merch etc) and there were no large screens to enhance the visuals of the performance. Nick and the band were getting a terrific response from those down near the stage, and were obviously putting in a great effort, but I would not see them again in a venue like that.

They played most of the Skeleton Tree album, a sprinkling of tracks ranging from early stuff like Tupelo and From Her To Eternity, favourites like Red Right Hand and The Mercy Seat, ballads like Into My Arms and The Weeping Song, and finally the epic encore Stagger Lee. Show lasted approx 2 hours, but may have gone longer if not for a local curfew which Nick expressed disapproval of.

In summary, terrific performance but terrible choice of venue.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Berlin location is a joke, right? I'm DEFINITELY out.

17. gary191265

?

18. Neonbeam

Max Schmeling Halle is a huge and faceless sport arena. I expected something more tasteful. But then again, the old Admiralspalast was always sold out in an instant.

But there's no way I'm going to see Cave there.

dlemaudit likes this.
  19. gary191265

If I only went to see bands depending on how tasteful the venue was, I wouldn't leave the house!

qwyjibo likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Well... maybe it's because Cave has always shown great taste in selecting Berlin venues. I don't think he ever played there.

21. gary191265

Do you have tasteful alternatives that hold upwards of 8000 people?

22. Neonbeam

What exactly are you trying to prove here? That I'm wrong not to like this venue? That Cave has to play there? (A venue you most likely never have seen btw. ) That his popularity has dramatically increased with this new album must have somehow escaped me:tiphat:

What didn't escape me is that this discussion is a tiny little bit futile because I was merely expressing an opinion.

23. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Manchester for me as well and I agree on your comments about the venue.

Richard

24. gary191265

All I'm saying is that he, his management, his promoter or a combination of any of the former, have decided that the band are big enough to play arenas and once that's the case, aesthetics tend to go out of the window. So, in essence, I'm trying to prove the sum total of **** all. As for having never seen the venue, one soulless sports arena is pretty much like every other soulless sports arena, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Jarra Lad and moj like this.
  25. They're coming to Amsterdam, I've never seen them before. Tempted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.