Quadio, Which group is deserving for the next quad boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

Don't forget Lotus, the the original Japanese album was SQ encoded.
    Since the master is SQ encoded, the stock CD can playback in quad if somebody has a SQ decoder.
    You can rip the disc into Adobe Audition, and with the SQ patch decode the disc into four channels.

There's lots of CDs out there with SQ and QS encoding.

Quadraphonic CD Discography

Lotus. Columbia C2K-46764 (2 CD) (SQ)

My bad if you think I'm starting rumors, but (like I mentioned earlier) it was mentioned here.

fredblue likes this.
  2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Would be great to have the Jefferson Starship Quads in a set. I have or had the LP of the Quad Dragon Fly.

Pat

chas1, fredblue and Hamhead like this.
  3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Does Warner/Rhino have control of these?

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I don't know who the Grunt label falls under. Distributed by RCA (I think that's correct) back in the day and I guess that would fall under Sony now? Just wishful thinking on my part.

5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yes, they were always an RCA/BMG product which would make them Sony now. Unless something changed specifically with their catalog ala Chicago.

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yep, the only thing that sucks more than Disco? Warner Brothers. ;)

fredblue likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How is your "yarn" any different from any other?

8. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Yes I mentioned Lotus at the start of my last post you quoted since Audio Fidelity have recently released it on SACD :)
    I wonder how many other hidden SQ and QS matrix encoded CDs there are out there yet to be discovered and documented?

sbrom likes this.
  9. fredblue

Haha.. :D
    what does suck somewhat is that Warner are said to have stopped licensing their Quad material to other labels (such as Audio Fidelity) but if Warner opt not to include Quads in their own product (such as in the case of the recent Deluxe Edition of Bette Midler's "Divine Miss M.") or to only include the Quad of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" in 2-channel downmixed form in the new Deluxe Ed of that album, it means these wonderful Quads in all their MultiChannel glory criminally remain languishing in the vaults.. sucky sucky sucky! :shrug:

10. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Because I deal with Record Execs and people in the music industry all the time. How do you think Ive managed to get 8000-9000 Gold and Platinum Record Awards over the past 31 years? I called my guy up at WEA and got the info straight from the horses mouth. I don't see one other person on this page saying they talked to the Production manager or anybody else at WEA/RHINO. Whats my motive for lying/telling stories??

11. Billion$Baby

> Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:03 PM
    > To: [email protected]
    > Subject: Repressing Chicago Quad box with corrected discs....
    >
    >
    > .. As I suspected - the product manager for Chicago just confirmed
    > they are not repressing the Chicago quad box with corrected discs...
    >

12. fredblue

So they've sold all of them and they're not repressing them even though they could?

Genius :crazy:

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I have never understood the strategy behind treating these different formats and configurations as if they are all some limited edition special issue that you practically have to be a member of some secret society to even know was released and then they sit around wondering why the format never takes off.

fredblue likes this.
  14. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Please tell someone to keep making these Quad boxes for other groups also. Thanks.

Haggis Wampovich and fredblue like this.
  15. Billion$Baby

I have ZERO influence on anything. Im merely the guy that cleans out these peoples closets/basements/attics of their promotional items/awards etc. Ive also been fortunate to "Clean out" some of their home offices of awards..CBS/SONY being the last one when they changed their NYC location in 2016. I am the Pawn Shop for the entire USA music industry.

McLover and full moon like this.
  16. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

There's really only two viable options moving forward for another Quadio box set from Rhino: Doobie Brothers or Carly Simon, and my vote is for the Doobie Brothers, so much so that I even made an idea for the cover art! ;)

[​IMG]

full moon, fredblue and videoman like this.
  17. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I'd love Columbia or Audio Fidelity to release Billy Joel's Piano Man and Turnstiles.

This "Quadio" moniker, was that invented for the Chicago box? QUAD+auDIO+chIcAgO?

fredblue and sbrom like this.
  18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Guess Who had quad releases of three albums; American Woman, Share the Land and The Best of the Guess Who... a small box, but would be worthwhile.

fredblue, sbrom and full moon like this.
  19. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

No, but it was invented by Rhino back in 2010, first for the Quadraphonic DVD releases of "Chicago Transit Authority" and "Best of Aretha Franklin" and then for the Chicago box set in 2016.

:)

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Several of their later albums also were released in quad (10, Road Food, Flavours, one or two more).

fredblue and gregorya like this.
  21. gregorya

Well then, it looks like we got ourselves a real box!!... :):)

fredblue likes this.
  22. gregorya

The Moody Blues had a few as well.

fredblue likes this.
  23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Now if only Rhino had access...

makedatmusic likes this.
  24. gregorya

And we can't forget the first three Steely Dan albums.

fredblue and sbrom like this.
  25. gregorya

Oops... do these need to be Rhino-accessible titles/artists?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.