The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Some of the hottest live bluegrass that I've ever heard is from the "mid-generation." Unreleased recordings by a band calling themselves "The Acoustic All-Stars." The line up included Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan and Mark Schatz. The live recordings I recommend you search out were taped at The Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia on January 23, 1988. Tony in his prime vocally, and instrumental pyrotechnics by the band.

Give a listen:

waaguirr, Jerquee, Dennis0675 and 7 others like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I got into bluegrass through listening to Jerry Garcia projects such as Old and in the Way and his Acoustic Band. Also the Grisman , Rice collaborations. That led to a larger appreciation of that world of music. BTW, just watched the movie Deliverance a few days ago again and really had fun listening to the duel.

budwhite, Craig and Spadeygrove like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

For me there was the Ballad of Jed Clampett, then that.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What a treat seeing them live at Merle fest around 90 or 91

Jimbino likes this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I like a lot of bluegrass, old and new. Of the more modern bluegrass albums I own, my most played is probably Spring training by John Starling and Carl Jackson. Not a duff track on it. Great stuff!

[​IMG]

The Dillards are another band worth checking out if you don't know them, quality musicianship.

carlwm and lazydawg58 like this.
  6. Jerry

I would have said that "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" was the first bluegrass I was aware of, but there are drums on that. In my opinion, if you have drums on a bluegrass recording, that's country, not bluegrass. That's why I have a problem with The Dillards and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and some Sam Bush albums....

My other early bluegrass experience was probably the Deliverance soundtrack. That, by the way, has weird direct and indirect connections: Clarence White and Woody Allen.

Cooly McDuck likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Didn't country traditionally shun drums as well?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Word! If drums were meant to be in bluegrass music then Bill Monroe would've put 'em there himself, hence the mandolin 'chop' being the only necessary percussion in bluegrass music. I'm very much a purist in this sense.

9. Spadeygrove

At first, yes. Drums were frowned upon at the Grand Ole Opry back in the day. I believe that Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys were the first to use a drum set at the Opry.

budwhite and Rfreeman like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A group with a decent claim to being the founders of rock and roll. The maid dividing line between some of their early stuff and "Rock Around the Clock" is the use of the word "Rock".

I would be shocked if the guy who played the RATC guitar solo (still one of the best solos in rock IMO) did not have a large Texas Playboys collection.

(Sorry to derail a bluegrass thread)

Cooly McDuck and Spadeygrove like this.
  11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I've had the good fortune of seeing a fair amount of great bluegrass over the years including; old and in the way, bill Monroe, ricky skaggs, Clarence white when he was in the byrds, frank wakefield, tex logan, doc Watson, earl scruggs and many more. I've been friends with peter rowan and his brothers for over 40 years and have seen him many times. I worked for a local band in the 70's and we opened for vassar clements many times. he was a true gentleman and an amazing player. chris and lorin rowan even did a house concert for me several years back. that's me on drums with them that day.

[​IMG]

Revolver, Cue Burn, A6mzero and 6 others like this.
  12. Spadeygrove

Yep and Bill Haley & the Comets had unusual instrumentation for a 'rock & roll' group for that time including steel guitar and accordian.

13. Jerry

If you don't own this album, I suggest you rectify that. The only album on the Round Records label that doesn't feature a member of the Grateful Dead prominently playing on it. No need with this lineup of bluegrass virtuosos!

14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I think I have that somewhere but you can't mention the Birchmere without mentioning the great Seldom Scene. After John Starling left they went through several guitar players. I was fortunate enough to see a show with Tony Rice (still singing then) with Doc Watson "opening". The finale with the Scene and Doc was astonishing.

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Rather than straight Bluegrass for lack of a better term I'll say I'm a Newgrass fan and generally on the all instrumental side but that doesn't exclude me from liking David Grisman, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Mike Marshall etc. I love some of the genre bending stuff like Bill Frisell Nashville and Yo yo Ma Appalachian Waltz and Journey. I've not a large collection of this stuff so I'll keep an eye on the thread for recommendations.

macdaddysinfo and Doug_B like this.
  16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Any recommendations either studio or live with "more pickin' and less singin' "

Can be old school bluegrass or newgrass.

I have Yo Yo Ma's Goat Rodeo Sessions, some Alison Kruass & Union Station Live.

17. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

One of the best, The Country Gentlemen, performing "Fox On The Run"

McLover, auburn278 and rockinlazys like this.
  18. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

And another, Grand Ole Opry stars the Osborne Brothers with "Rocky Top"

Bigbudukks, Picca and ianuaditis like this.
  19. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Yay, a bluegrass thread! I need recommendations for late 60s/70s "hippie" bluegrass, my latest find was this LP by Emerson's Old Timey Custard-Suckin' Band. I'm always looking for covers of then-contemporary singer/songwriters (especially Dylan; Emerson's did a Jesse Winchester song on this one). Also anything along the lines of Cliff Waldron & The New Shades of Grass (Traveling Light is a favorite).

[​IMG]

Raunchnroll likes this.
  20. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Rhino's "Appalachian Stomp" is a great introduction for the newbie.
    I also highly recommend the legendary "The Seldom Scene".
    This music is as elemental as air and water IMO. It is truly American, yet its influences span the globe.

lazydawg58, Greenalishi and auburn278 like this.
  21. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I really like bluegrass music. Usually top-flight musicians, acoustic instruments, and always catchy tunes tightly played.

About 1984 a friend highly recommended an LP called "Cowboy Calypso" by Russ Barenberg. So I found it and man, what a great collection of really catchy instrumentals! Recommended.

Greenalishi and jonathan like this.
  22. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

As pure bluegrass goes, the man who invented it not only forbade drums, he wouldn't even consider a dobro part of bluegrass!! Mr. Monroe knows!

Lownotes likes this.
  23. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Not pure 'grass, but Doc Watson is my fave... I used to mow his grass... here's a story I wrote about him when he died... don't panic... intro is in Finnish, but the main story is English... Tuottaja Will Shade muistelee Doc Watsonia

Revolver, dadmav and lazydawg58 like this.
  24. Jerry

Here are some "more pickin' and less singin' " selections:

The David Grisman Quintet.
    [​IMG]
    The Bluegrass Album Band Volume 6
    [​IMG]
    David Grisman "Hot Dog"
    [​IMG]

The Stanley Brothers "Complete Starday & King Instrumentals"
    [​IMG]

A6mzero, Doug_B, jonathan and 5 others like this.
  25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Very Cool! Thanks!
    After scaring the neighbors with Sabbath, I can put on some Bluegrass to chill down and tap my toes! :righton: