FX's "Legion"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Boy, that sure was a lot of 'style'!
    I'll be impressed if they can keep that up for an entire season.
    Anybody else?
    You can only 'aim' this show at me with "Happy Jack" & "She's A Rainbow", but when a character is named SYD BARRETT?!?!?!?
    Now, you're just condescending!.........

PS...Aubrey Plaza steals the whole show, in my opinion!

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I recorded and will watch tonight. I haven't seen Dan Stevens in anything since Downton Abbey.

3. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

The elements are familiar so the presentation has to be novel. I was a little confused in spots but impressed and intrigued overall. The Noah Hawley treatment could serve mad mutants as well as it does quirky crooks. I am wary of classic rock being overused in an attempt to generate unearned emotions and reactions from the viewer but they didn't completely overdo it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wasn't going to bother with this show as I imagined it would just be an excuse to deliver weirdo, trippy imagery just for the sake of it, leaving logic checked at the door.

However, when I learned that Noah Hawley would be running things, I changed my mind, as I really like what he did with Fargo (despite the S2 misstep with UFO crap).

I thought the opening montage was close to a work of art and enjoyed the rest of the episode very much. As I suspected, there were many trippy scenes, but they were executed in such a cohesive and stylistically interesting fashion that it never felt unearned or superficial. I appreciated that very much.

I thought Dan Stevens did an excellent job as the lead, exuding just the right amount of crazy and charisma. II also liked the evocative musical numbers.

It's hard to know how the series will develop (establishing/backstory episodes are always more interesting), but so far I'm impressed.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think it might've been a bit better sans commercials. I found one for another show to be too similar to the show itself and it took me a few seconds to realize it was a commercial and not part of Legion. That was on FX Canada, 'ymmv' etc. I will at least check out episode 2. I thought the Sydney Barret name was a bit daft, but I take it that it isn't meant to be her real name. I didn't recognize any X-world characters but there's a lot I wouldn't know about I'm sure. Happy Jack didn't quite fit the scenes where it was used I didn't think, guy is definitely not happy, but She's A Rainbow was a perfect fit. So they've got me following Taboo and now Legion!

vince likes this.
  6. vince

I'm right there with you...
    Considering I don't have Netflix, Hulu, AND... "Game Of Thrones" won't be happening 'till the summer....
    these two show'll have to do!

beccabear67 likes this.
  7. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I just watched it and enjoyed it. Wondering where it is going...

8. Well written, stylish and great performances from the cast made this a killer debut.

rogertheshrubber and Deesky like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just finished it. Really creative and imaginative. Not sure if I'll stick with it for the long haul if it's really dark but the first episode was really strong and impressive.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The episode is available from just about every major streaming PPV service without commercials for free. Episode 2 and beyond will cost you, though.

..also, there's always the chance that Canadian viewers are getting the shaft in this regard, so your kilometerage may vary. :)

lbangs and beccabear67 like this.
  11. David is a key character from the X universe.

beccabear67 likes this.
  12. vince

When I heard the voice in his head say, "DAVID!", I couldn't help but think of this song:

13. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Really enjoyed the first episode despite having never read an issue of the comic.

vince likes this.
  14. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Stumbled on this and immediately loved it! Missed the beginning so I dvr'd it and watched it yesterday. Still impressed but just a few reservations. The opening montage was too Wes Anderson for me. Not that it's a bad thing but put me in a grumpy mood. But it all meshed quickly, the quirky editing, the fun performances, musical interludes (any Serge Gainsbourg gets a big thumbs up from me), the inside references (Sydney Barrett, Clockworks Institute), the lighting and color schemes (the scene with the red jacket and green suitcase was yummy!). So much to savor especially in the visual sense.

Story-wise it's on shakier grounds, I thought when it stayed more rooted to reality the characters had more gravitas but when it broke into the conspiracy/supernatural realm it lost some steam. I can't help think about Stranger Things with it's similar theme of mutant power against the soulless evil government so been there done that but I'm hoping it goes beyond that sooner than later. I loved Fargo so I have faith Noah Hawley has a few tricks up his sleeve. So definitely recommended.

One aside: when I started watching I had a feeling it was filmed in Vancouver and I was right. I live in Vancouver and I really dislike watching things filmed here. It kinda sucks if you notice a street, house, building etc. it can become very distracting. So yes I have missed many shows. But Legion might be too good to stop that from happening.

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I watched it last night and enjoyed it enough that I will try the second episode as well. She's a Rainbow was a perfect fit.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Off to a good start. Aubrey Plaza is someone I will watch in anything. Great to see Rachel Keller too.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I've read the comics and I don't think you gain anything by doing so. It seems they have taken the basic character and created an original story around it. Like a starting off point, but obviously we'll see where it goes.

I really liked it!

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thanks for the reminder with this thread. I forgot to record it, but have set up a season timer for it that will record episode 1 early Saturday morning, and I'll report back after watching this weekend.

A friend of mine posted this cover on FB earlier this week and I thought I'd share it. Legion from issue #40 of X-Men, with cover art by Andy Kubert.

[​IMG]

xdawg likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is a new series, right? Wasn't there just a series (maybe on SyFy) called Legion a year or so ago?

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

[​IMG]

I think they are going for this earlier feel.

beccabear67 likes this.
  21. vince

Soooo, is there REALLY a 'Syd Barrett" in these comics???

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Don't think so. Think its Noah Hawley being a big PF fan and relating Syd's music to David's state of mind.

23. vince

After he says it, on the phone, the 'sound-like' version of "On The Run" took me right out of the show!
    .... not that it's gonna stop me from watching it!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

It's on free TV in Canada (City)

* with antenna

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Another great as yet unremarked upon music cue was the use of Jane's Addiction's "Up the Beach" during the interrogation room freak out sequence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.