SH Spotlight Test the midrange purity of your system and/or your computer speakers using Bing Crosby!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

It's been a few months now since I'd acquired my new Yamaha sound-system, & figured that the speakers are well & truly broken-in, since the sound given has improved in warmth considerably. They initially sounded very dry & crisp, with heaps of definition, but lacked body....Anyhow, they sound great now, really warm & mellow with all that definition, but to my surprise, they "do" reveal the "illusion" ( as originally asked ), but not as obviously as my Logitech computer speakers....

I'm not disappointed at all, but quite surprised at the result, as I would have thought the result the other-way-around...Maybe the Yamaha's need a little more break-in time LOL !

This is a great test Steve, thanks again for posting so as to allow judgement of our gear, for better or worse !

Ciao,

Gregster

PS. The Yamaha system is a run-out model package that was valued at 2.5K ,AUD, consisting of RXV-379 amp, 2 x NS-50F speakers, & a YST-SW216 sub-woofer. I prefer 2.1 listening, & haven't as yet attached the remaining speakers for 5.1 sound, & the amp setting was "straight", with no coloring at all.

rxcory likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For those who can't find Bing Crosby, Hank Thompson's "Breaking In Another Heart" on Capitol is a really fine midrange purity test. I can hear this effect on my Capitol 45 through my Technics SP-25 setup, with McIntosh MC 2505-2 power amplifier, McIntosh MX 114 tuner/preamplifier driving a pair of "The Advent Loudspeaker". Many of the old Hank Thompson Capitol recordings are great for this test, avoid Duophonic versions.

Gregster likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Saw one of these Bing CD's I mastered for sale for 100 bucks. Hope this isn't some kind of trend.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  4. Just means it's time to re-release it. You're missing out on the new sales. That is if you own a piece of the action.

5. Steve Hoffman

Thanks.

6. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Ol' Hank sure had some crackerjack musicians and production staff accompanying him! BTW, with the plethora of HT reissues, I've neither heard nor seen anything come close to the Bear Family CD reissues in terms of SQ and packaging. As good as their offerings sound, I appreciate how BF doesn't attempt to blow smoke of people's asses by plastering "REMASTERED" in big bold letters on their product. They don't have to. I sure would love to have the HT box (the first one BF put out), but I only have the single disc comp that's part of the "Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight" series, which is beyond excellent!

The song "Breakin' In Another Hearrt" is track #103 on this stunning BF set. https://www.amazon.com/His-Brazos-V...301&sr=8-2&keywords=Hank+Thompson+bear+family

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    McLover likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

I used "The Bing Test" yesterday when setting up a system for a friend. Amazing what a little speaker placement can do for that magic midrange!

David del Toro and Kkfan like this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Just bought it now for $2.35 on Amazon u s.
    This should be fun. Currently my 'tuning' cd for my system is JohnnyA's Get Inside. Mastered very loud BUT.....it has some delectable bass on some songs and the dynamic range on the Quieter songs allows me to tune my system in. So it will be fun to see what I come up with listening to this tune.
    The beave

9. Steve Hoffman

Stuck by request.

Kkfan and The Beave like this.
  10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Is this the one?

11. The Beave

Good Morning Steve.
    It's nice to be stuck on a Friday night.

Btw Steve, any quick thoughts on why throughout the decades, transferring 78's to modern media has sounded so lousy?
    Hearing a bluesv78 on my modern stereo a few years ago blew my mind how Full itvsounded, compared to the thin, lifeless sound of the same tune on a modern cd.
    The beave

12. The Beave

Sorry for the typos in my posts, I hate these p ads......see it just did it again!
    The beave

13. Steve Hoffman

Transfer engineers are obsessed with removing all surface noise. When they filter, most of the music is filtered as well.

14. The Beave

Ah, filtering. Thank you for the answer.
    Now go and take on the day!
    The beave

15. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

I've had this cd since last september, and love it. Just tried it on my fisher 500c with 1969 wharfedale w60's, and yes I can hear the change in his voice definitely. Good to know I got the midrange magic!

16. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Think I can hear this on my iPhone speaker. Tried it on my main system...nothing...might try playing around with speaker placement.

17. dylan78rpm

dylan78rpm Forum Resident

This is sadly the truth for now, most metal masters past the early thirties are truly pretty high-ish fidelity just with less frequency range than the tape and mics that came in the late forties. The fact that they weren't treated right and were used too much meant they couldn't maintain that fidelity, hence the noise. The bright side is there are a few CDs out there that take care in using noise reduction techniques, preserving the music instead of destroying it. Most are official remasterings, few exceptions. Thanks for the test Steve.

18. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I can hear it on my computer speakers - Wharfedale 80th Dentons. I bet my Legacy/Krell combo would really bring it out. But alas, I suck at figuring out digital streaming or hooking up my phone to my main system. :winkgrin:

19. Steve Hoffman

This (and that).

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I just received my cd (it costed 9 euro incl shipping from an Amazon.de seller).

So, it was greatly audible in my system (Yamaha 2000 amplifier and SACD player) through the speakers (Paradigm Esprit bipolar) as well as the headphones (Sennheiser HD-650) plugged to the amplifier. Also nicely audible from my old Marantz SACD SA-7001 KI (though a Micromega headphone amplifier and the same headphones).

The best reproduction came from the speakers (magnificent), then from the Marantz/Micromega/Sennheisser and lastly from the Yamaha SACD through headphones.

Thanks for the tip!

Alex

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    shutdown66 likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

I am glad it worked for you!

RiRiIII likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

That is it.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I can hear it on my skull candy earbuds. And they cost 19 bucks.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not to be a contrarian here, but just about everyone on this thread can hear the reverb @ 27 seconds. I have cheap earbuds and can hear it.

What Im getting is that what matters isnt really whether or not a given system can reproduce this to where it sounds very realistic. Like a real person. Simply "hearing" the reverb isnt reflective on the later.

25. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Nice video with different Reverberation recordings

pdxway likes this.