The Creation - Action Painting [New 2CD set]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

This 60's mod-rock group already has a few CD compilations to their name, but this upcoming two-disc set from Numero Group is shaping up to be the definitive one. Their complete output with stereo mixes, instrumentals, full-length versions, and a few tracks from The Creation's predecessors, The Mark Four (featuring future Kinks bassist John Dalton).

The Creation - Action Painting [Numero Group] »

2. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

looks like a good one! Tho I think I have most of the reissues going back to 1982!!!

3. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

My O My

4. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Waiting for a track list........ At first glance this looks like a reissue of the Retroactive CD material from '98

5. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

1) New stereo mixes
    2) Alec Palao is worked on this

ash1 and beccabear67 like this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

Click on the "Play" arrow beneath the format options to show a track listing with samples.

beccabear67 likes this.
  7. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

Wow,I need this one !

8. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I'm not even going to try and resist… I'm in.

Thanks OP for the heads-up.

9. b.smith

b.smith Forum Resident

Whats with all the apparent overload distortion on Making Time - was it always like that?

10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm not crazy about the Numero matching eco packaging on vintage '60s stuff, but this definitely is a must buy!

11. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Ah didn't see that. Thanks Mate. OK I've perused the tracks. A bunch of new stereo mixes. Most sound like new mixes and none appear to be the original "We Are PainterMen" lp mixes. A couple of new instrumentals. One glaring omission though: the original (and superior IMO) German single mix of "For All That I Am". Other omissions: the original German 45 mix of "If I Stay Too Long" (but the stereo mix snippet sounds similar to it) and the slightly alternate mix of Ostrich Man. More than enough new stuff here to justify getting this set but it's not 'complete' per se so hang on to those Repertoire and RetroActive cd's.

12. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

The only question for me is whether to get CDs or LPs?

13. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

i'm with hallucalation about Alec Palao's involvement.....his "Cream Puff War" fanzine, tho short-lived was a crucial read about West Coast/SF 60s bands, and besides, he was in the mighty Sneetches!!!!!!

Gumboo likes this.
  14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Thanks for the head's up. I'll grab this. Only have one disc comp now. My ex took the 2 disc 90s comp when she split. Saw their first ever US show and it was great. Interviewed Eddie a coupla months later. Humble and funny guy.

15. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

2 questions, if anyone knows - Will this be available only from their website and is there a release date? Thanks!

16. GodBlessTinyTim

March 17 according to Numero's homepage, and all their regular releases are available on Amazon.

LSP2003 and YardByrd like this.
  17. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Cool! Thanks!

18. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. I'm am more than a bit burnt out by the usual suspects super dooper deluxe extra special copyright moneygrab anniversary boxsets with missing tracks, incomplete concerts, bonus scarves and dodgy mastering so it's a good time for The Creation to get some quality treatment. Alec Palao is usually good news in terms of the thought and prep that will probably go into this.
    Hopefully once this is out we can have a good look at any missing mix variants in this thread. I also hope Alec manages to include as much session information as possible. If there are to be bonus goodies let's hope for a few cans of spray paint so we can decorate the house in suitable pop art style while Eddie bows his guitar !
    If only their BBC Radio session would turn up somewhere...check your cupboards everyone.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Look forward to the reviews. I love this band, but I still have my "Making Time" and "Biff Bang Pow" CD comps which I think includes just about everything. If the mastering on this new set is good and it has some extras to offer I'd buy the CD set. Not buying any more Numero vinyl probably. For those that do, I'd suggest buying direct if you want Numero to stand behind it 100%.

20. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Owsley (or anyone else): Would you happen to know where the alternate mono mix of "Biff Bang Pow" on The Best of Planet Records is from?

21. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Don't know about an alternate mono mix of BBB. I only know of the 45 mix and the stereo 'We Are Paintermen' lp mix. Gotta link to the track in question?

22. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I just ordered both cds and lps today from the Numero website (what can I say, I love most Numero packaging--and I was a little unclear why the cds say they come with a book, but the lps don't. And I must admit it's excessive, but I have both the cds and lps of the Ork Records set, as it was my favorite reissue of that year. And the packaging is both wonderfully different).

Anyway, the big news, I was surprised to already get a download of the release! I hadn't remembered reading that when I ordered, so it was a most pleasant surprise--well ahead of release date, I think.

I'm about halfway through and I'm completely blown away. Only got turned on to The Creation tecently through the "big hits" on Little Stevie's Underground Garage, though a big fan of bands that reference them (such as The Jam). And I have my jaw on the floor for all these songs I didn't know.

And though they are downloads, these are billed as remastered from Shel Talmy's original tapes, it sounds terrific.

I know I'm given to hyperbole and it's only February eve and I haven't even seen the book yet, but this seems like one of those favorite reissues of the year. Loving this music!

Rupe33 and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

People might want to consider this instead.

The Creation Theory 4 cds/ 1 dvd + book.

Description
    Alan McGee was such a big fan of The Creation that he named his record label after the band, and named his own band after one of their songs - Biff Bang Pow. The Creation was formed in 1966 from beat combo The Mark Four, and was quickly signed to a production deal with Shel Talmy, The Who's producer. The first release was the urgent "Making Time", which featured guitarist Eddie Phillips playing his guitar with a violin bow, two years before Jimmy Page started doing so. Whilst very popular in Germany, UK success largely eluded the band, and after a number of non-charting singles and line-up changes (including Ron Wood), the band broke up in 1968 without ever having released an album. Bizarrely, Boney M had a huge hit in 1979 with the band's composition "Painter Man". Phillips and lead vocalist Kenny Pickett recorded an album in 1987 that remained unreleased until 2004, and in 1995, following reunion concerts at Harlesden's Mean Fiddler, Alan McGee and Joe Foster managed to persuade the original line-up to record a new album, for release on Creation Records. Compiled with the assistance of Eddie Phillips himself, this limited edition deluxe media book presents a chronological history of the band. The four CDs include all eight single sides by The Mark Four (and three live reunion recordings from 1985), all of The Creation's legendary recordings for Shel Talmy, in both mono and brand new stereo mixes, the 1987 album and the Creation Records album, and some solo recordings by Eddie from 1990 and 2011. The DVD features a lengthy new interview with Eddie, filmed in October 2016, five songs from The Creation's two live appearances on the legendary German 60s TV show "Beat Beat Beat" (from the original tapes, three songs appear on DVD for the first time), and 21 songs from the band's two reunion concerts at the Mean Fiddler in the 90s. The book has been designed by Phil Smee and features exclusive photos and memorabilia from both his and Eddie's collections, as well as a new extensive annotation by Alan Robinson.

IMWAN • [2017-04-28] The Creation "Creation Theory" 4CD/1DVD sets including Amazon exclusive edition (Edsel UK)

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've got the Cherry Red book and one Beat Beat Beat episode with them but that set sounds like the bomb.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It looks like this might be more extensive than Action Painting but no track list has been released yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.