Chicago appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Feb 14, 2017.

1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

I've always been a fan of the group but lately have become especially a fan of the horns- Walt , jimmy and Lee. Amazing they have been together for 50 years.

Peter Cetera - my favorite bass player of all time

Robert lamm - very cool dude who wrote excellent, almost meditative music

Terry Kath - monster guitarist and vocalist

As a group I think only the Beatles compare in all around groupdom

2. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

You mention everybody in the original lineup but Danny Seraphine. Awesome drums on those early albums. Every member of the original group was essential to what they accomplished.

3. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That original group was very special. The rhythm section, especially with Kath and drummer Danny Seraphine had a very unique sound.

Chel2227, Gardo, Swansong and 13 others like this.
  4. jwb1231970

Oh yeah, Danny

Mark L., Swansong, Quad Linda and 2 others like this.
  5. jwb1231970

3 songwriters who actually wrote memorable material, 3 vocalists who split the duties evenly, and like you say everyone was essential to the overall sound. Not many groups that share these qualities, I think of the beatles and not anyone else

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Even Laudir de Oliveira, the Brazillian percussionist who played with Sergio Mendes and was added to the original Chicago lineup in 1974 was a great percussionist.

7. AudiophilePhil

Three vocalists with distinctive voices and styles.

Sean Tomkins, AidanB, EdgardV and 3 others like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Love their ballads.

Ramblin'Roon and TarnishedEars like this.
  9. AudiophilePhil

He was an old school drummer whose style of drumming was similar to Bobby Colomby's style but I love his chops much better than the guy who replaced him (Tris Imboden).

Chel2227, Mark L., GPM and 7 others like this.
  10. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

One of my favorite bands. The unique sound they had (have) is a thrilling one to say the least. Chicago Transit Authority was one brilliant debut, as were most of the albums that followed (although I haven't heard much post-17, but XXV is great).

11. AudiophilePhil

The original band (1969-1977) had a rare distinction of being a 70's supergroup and yet remained a faceless band. They let the music spoke for itself.

12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I heard Chicago II for the first time this week. Superb album!!!!!

bluerondo, vegafleet, Gardo and 21 others like this.
  13. AudiophilePhil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  14. AudiophilePhil

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love them. This is a great one.

16. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

I really Chicago though I'm more of a fan of their 80's output. Peter Cetera is a very underatted vocalist IMO.

jwb1231970, zebop and AudiophilePhil like this.
  17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Chicago Transit Authroity, an excellent double album (and I got it on both CD and cassette!). See also Artist's Double Album is their Best Work.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've been listening to the remix of Chicago II on and off for the last three weeks. A subtle remix to be sure but, after repeated listens,, has made me appreciate the album even more than I already did. One thing I never understood is why Terry Kath's brilliant, soaring guitar work took an increasing back seat as they went into the mid-seventies. The combination of his razor sharp playing and the horns was one of the things that made them unique on their first couple of albums. As time went on he became more of a background rhythm player which was all well and good, but left me wanting much more..

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow!! Excellent! Thank you!!

20. AudiophilePhil

There are lots of Terry Kath's brilliant guitar work on "Chicago III"(1971) , "Chicago At Carnegie Hall" (1971) and "Chicago VII" (1974) specially the instrumental sides, "Byblos" and "Woman Don't Want To Love Me". I also love his short guitar solo at the end of the song "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long".

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was actually referring to the first three studio albums when i said "couple". You're right about the instrumental sides of VII; that's the final Chicago album I ever bought and, to be honest, go back to the least. Oversight on my part.

MortSahlFan and AudiophilePhil like this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I really Chicago though I'm more of a fan of their 70's output. Peter Cetera is a very underated bassist, IMO.

:)

bluerondo, honkydrum, CMcGeek and 5 others like this.
  23. AudiophilePhil

The original Chicago which was one of the few bands that started as a jazz-rock band with horns, was not the kind of band that everybody expected to sell well and become a super group but they defied the odds (such as not being a critic favorite as one example) by becoming a successful outfit in both the album and singles charts and three decades later, they finally got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame just because of the body of work the original line up created from 1969-1977.
    Do you think their success as a band can be attributed to their songwriting abilities to produce hits and some good deep album tracks during their classic years (1969-1977) or was it because they were a band with three distinctive voices and a super-talented guitarist or a combination of all of these attributes?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

all the above

EdgardV, Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  25. videoman

videoman Senior Member

You're right, but it's the double album Chicago VII that is their best work. ;)