2-channel subwoofer recommendations please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by crestwood23, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crestwood23

crestwood23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know a thing about subwoofers so I'm looking for a little advice. I have always been a "no subs ever" type 2-channel snob, but I would now like to give one a shot.

I'm looking for something that will work seamlessly with my restored Quad 57 ESL's. They have nice tuneful bass as is, but being the greedy audiophile I am, I'd love "just a bit more". :)

My concrete bunker basement man cave is approx 14'x 26' with 7' ceilings. I have basstraps in all four corners, and a few OC 703 panels on the walls and ceiling. Also a few thick area rugs on the floor.

My budget is $1500, and I am open to buying used.

A fellow Quad owner suggested a Velodyne DD12. Looks like a contender, but I don't have a TV in my listening room so I wouldn't be able to use the setup software, also looks like this sub is a bit old/outdated, although Ive found a few that are within my price range at about $1200 used. Are there better, more modern options out there anyone could recommend for me? TIA!

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Velodyne Optimum 10 or a REL T7i.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Jose Imenez

Jose Imenez New Member

Can you vent the Sub to the outside?

4. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I have an SVS sub that I really like and bought on the recommendation of a friend who has two.
    They have outlet deals upon occasion. I would look for a sealed unit like this.
    SB-2000
    In order to make the best of it, I have one of these as well.
    DSPeaker-Anti-Mode 8033

5. crestwood23

Not sure what you mean? "Outside" as in outdoors?

Wow thats a cool little unit, looks like that might be a required purchase with any sub I go for.

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The Velodyne has DSP built in and comes with a mic, so no need for anything like that.

7. crestwood23

Very cool, one of the Velodyne DD subs I was looking at requires a TV to set the eq- does the one you recommend need a TV to use the DSP? My listening room doesn't have a TV. :(

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I don't know how the DD subs connect but could you drag a computer monitor into your room during setup? If setup correctly it shouldn't need tweaking as you listen so take it back out after setup. Just a thought.

10. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Totem Storm. I love mine.

LarryP likes this.
  11. crestwood23

I only have a MacBook Pro, maybe it could hook it up to that somehow?

12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Sorry, I don't know anything about a mac.

13. crestwood23

Both get very good reviews, love that the Optimum 10 has the built in auto EQ. Thanks!

14. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

No contest in my book - Vandersteen 2WQ. Two of them if possible. They are a subwoofer for people that don't like subwoofers. They are fast, they perfectly blend with main speakers, and they are musical. Their sound can be contoured from tight to more boomy (but never home theater style). The integration begins with how they get their signal - from the main speaker terminal. A clever high pass is used between your preamp and power amp. The sub gets the high passed signal and recreates the bass notes (some kind of Vandersteen voodoo but it works).

Vinyl Richie likes this.
  15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

How is that any different than the high pass on most subs?

16. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

IMHO as far as fully optimising STEREO bass performance goes..............

2 x DD10's should clearly outperform 1 x DD12

2 x DD12's wouldn't hurt!!!.......( maybe one now.....and if you like it.......another one later)

17. crestwood23

LOL yeah for sure - but that's just a bit over my budget!

Also, the more I read the more I like the Velodyne Optimum 10 (or 12). Seems like the best parts of the DD series without the fiddly EQ - more of an autiopilot EQ situation which appeals to me.

Does the Velodyne Optimum take any bass load off my speakers, as in, will the speakers still be running full range or is it the type of situation where the sub makes it so the speakers aren't working so hard on reproducing bass frequencies and can instead devote more power to the rest of the frequency range?

Linger63 likes this.
  18. Still

Still Well-Known Member

Check out Rythmik. Many sealed options under $1000. Several connection options including speaker lever, single ended and balanced. They also have unique crossover options that allow more customization of crossover (adjustment of order as well as breadth of bandwidth over which the slope occurs). They certainly have a focus on 2 channel systems. They don't get the same press as others but personal accounts are consistently positive. I am looking at the F12.

Helom and gd0 like this.
  19. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

No DIY? I'd build my own with AE drivers and use an active crossover to cross between the subs and your mains. You could probably use precut sub assemblies that you only need to assemble and finish if you wanted to make it really easy. The AE drivers sound very very musical.

20. Glen Rasmusssen

Glen Rasmusssen Active Member

When I was shopping for a sub a few years back I did a quick check on most of the HiFi review blogs, and came across very good reviews on Outlaw Audio subs, they have a new one that gets great reviews. Ultra-X12. I have it mated with a pair of K-horns and only have to run it at 4 to keep up and fill in the low end for sound tracks. I have been very happy. $659. I do not think you need a pair of these matched up to your Quads. Here is the conclusion from HomeTheater. "Conclusion
    There are many outstanding, affordable subwoofers available today. Many of them perform very similarly and look practically indistinguishable. It seems to me that it's not a matter of choosing the best subwoofer, it's a matter of choosing the best for your budget, tastes, and application. So where does the Ultra-12X fit in? It's for two types of enthusiasts: 1) those who want true high-performance subwoofing but want to keep their investment to a minimum; and 2) those who want smooth bass response across several listening positions (i.e., for multiple listeners) and who thus plan to use two smaller subs instead of one larger one."

Linger63 likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think Rythmik subs work off a similar principle, but they don't have multiple drivers per cabinet.

Whichever brand you choose, go with a sealed sub that can get its signal from the amp's speaker terminals. Some RELs also have this feature, though not their cheaper models.

I'm currently getting by with a cheap Paradigm sub with my Maggie 1.7s. Plugging the ports with foam definitely helped.

When I used SVS's online Merlin speaker/ sub matching feature, they recommend one of their largest subs that has 3 ports. This seems contrary to all recommendations I've read for matching panel speakers with subs.

I'm heavily leaning toward Rythmik for my upgrade.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Your speakers would still be full range with any sub unless you use an AVR or pre amp that has bass management.

crestwood23 and Linger63 like this.
  23. crestwood23

There's an SVS SB13-Ultra for sale on the local CL - $1200. Apparently very highly rated by a Quad loving Stereophile editor. Maybe that's worth a shot?

24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That looks like a great sub. I suggest you think about how you plan to integrate the sub? The SVS comes with the ability to integrate it seamlessly but do you have the desire to measure and set it?
    A Velodyne DD will come with the ability to set itself.

Personally, I'm frugal and want to know how this stuff works so I opted for a less expensive route combined with learning how to set things using measurements. I know that is not for everyone. It is time consuming. Are you a person that wants to invest the time and energy to set it up, or do you want to plunk it down, push a button and go? Also, do you have the ability to place the sub in the best location, or is it going to hide out of the way? If the plan is to hide one it in a corner under a plant, then I'd recommend the automated setup.

Helom and crestwood23 like this.
  25. crestwood23

Great points to consider. I am the twisted type of person who savors the finicky and often times painfully frustrating task of cartridge setup and alignment, measuring VTA, VTF, azimuth and overhand to the Nth degree until I'm blind and exhausted - all in the effort to get the maximum fidelity out of my turntable setup. Same thing with every other component in my chain, tube selection, speaker placement, and room treatments, all thoroughly overthought and tweaked to within an inch of its life. I don't mind (and actually enjoy) learning about new technical aspects of the hobby, all in the quest for better sound.

It's a dedicated listening room, and the sub can go wherever it needs to go to perform its best. So overall, I supposed I'm by nature more of a measurer who's a bit OCD about getting the most out of my chosen gear. If there's a smoking local deal on a sub that requires more time/effort to set it up I wouldn't have a problem with that, and would make the effort to get the best out of it.

Helom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.