"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

As a fan of his Comedy Central show I was rather underwhelmed last night when Col-bear returned to the airwaves (I thought Viacom owned the character, I am surprised they let him resurrect it). It was an ok bit but...I guess after all this time the old Stephen character is indeed gone for good (he likely should not do it again as it shows the weakness of his current show structure).

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Guess what else Viacom owns....... that's right.... CBS!!!

MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Ahhhhhhhh ....aye, there's the rub.

MikaelaArsenault and vince like this.
  4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I thought it was great to have another "The WØRD"

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and IronWaffle like this.
  5. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I thought the resurrection of the character was amazing and made me very happy - feels perfectly timed too, almost prophetical. Plus only one, short interview!
    I have watched the show every day and his strong suit really is the political satire, he can still do quite a bit of it within the confines of this gig but it feels like he's wasting his time with the other stuff. He's actually a supremely talented interviewer (which landed him the job most likely), but I just am not really interested in watching the celebrity interviews usually.

6. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

It was great to see his Colbert Report character pulled out of mothballs, however briefly.

The persona started out a little rusty but "The Word" brought just the right mix of reality, sanity, and fear. I appreciate LSSC's humor... but I dearly miss Colbert Report's wit. It's a fine but crucial distinction.

Edit: You beat me too it by that much.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There have been more tweeks to the show after the last break.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Interesting development. I still think the more Stephen, the better. I have little interest in most of his guests, the time would be better spent with bits centered around him.

11. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

You're absolutely correct. His monologues are the best; while I'm sure he's relishing his pay grade, he'd be best in a format like John Oliver has on HBO.

Honestly though, the climate in this country is fertile for artists in every medium. I expect Colbert to continue to flourish

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

13. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

14. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I think Colbert and Meyers should complete the transition and get rid of the celebrities and make the show a a full "news" based show. That's really what these shows are anyway now and they don't really excel chatting with celebs about their latest movie anyway...

15. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

In the post Letterman world, Stephen is most definitely my favorite. I never really watched the Colbert Report much but I genuinely enjoy his show on CBS. His show tends to be more political and current events oriented and that could be part of the appeal; although if he weren't so adept at maneuvering through the landmines it wouldn't be as good as it is.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I love that he got a spontaneous standing ovation for that!

17. forthlin

Colbert blows me away because he's so damned smart and very fast on his feet. He seems extremely well-read, has a great deal of pop culture savvy, and he's a Tolkien geek.;)

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Get rid of the band leader, or put him behind a piano.
    That wind thing he plays reminds me of grade school.
    Thank you.

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

he's actually quite good in sketches. I don't like the band in general but Jon has grown on me.

20. Gems-A-Bems

I believe the band leader (whose name is Jon Batiste) plays a melodica in addition to piano. Perhaps they called it a "wind thing" in grade school.
    You're welcome.

21. forthlin

Band sounds pretty good to me. Batiste is extra cool to me, his knowledge of music seems to be encylopedic.

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I find myself tuning in to Colbert more and more too despite being exhausted of politics everywhere else. He finds a good balance of skewering the absurdity we're in with a sharp smart knife.

I can't stand the band at all though. It's like mellow dentist jazz. If we could bring the roots to Colbert, it'd be perfect for me.

23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

And he loves neutral milk hotel!

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  24. Gems-A-Bems

Yeah, but I like him anyway.

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Gems-A-Bems

Did anyone else notice how heavily edited the 2/17 show seemed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.