Question About The Who - "Who's Next" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have purchased this release probably 5 or 6 times in my life and still not overly happy with what I have. The first few times were obviously good old LP's that I ended up wearing out etc.. and then a cassette copy. In the age of CDs I bought the original release which had some distortion in the Baba and WGFA. I then tracked down a Canadian Steve mastered CD, then the 1996? remaster, then bought the Deluxe two CD set primarily for the bonus materials but it sounds kind of cold to me. I have read a little about the recent Japanese SHM's of the set - should I go for it? I do not own a turntable any longer - sadly sold back in 1990 or so. I do however, have a SACD player. Despite probably being a bigger Stones fan than a Who fan, this is my favorite release of all time probably and would value everyone's opinion as to what the best sounding version is. I'm getting old and would like to hear a good version before I am blind deaf and dumb (but still able to play pinball LOL)

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The best to me are the Canadian Stevfe mastered CD, or the SHM mastering which is supposedly a flat transfer of the original master. The HDtracks download is also very good.

Parkertown and hotsoup like this.
  3. botley

botley Forum Resident

The SHM-SACD is a great sounding option, or the recent HD download version that comes with the deluxe bonus tracks too.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I agree that all of these are great... :agree: :edthumbs:

5. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess I'll try the SHM-SACD then! By any chance does it play on a regular player too like the Abcko Stones SACD's?

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

No but you can buy the SHM-CD with the same mastering.

sound chaser likes this.
  7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For what it's worth, I have the SHM-SACD but I definitely prefer Steve's MCA CD.

CrazyCatz, rxcory and kevin5brown like this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If the SHM-Cd uses the same mastering as the previous issue, you will not be any happier. The SHM-SACD is an entirely new master and the chances are better for an improvement (although I found the deluxe CD great sounding). Do you have a blu ray player? It will play it.

9. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

SHM SACD/CD and Steve's mastering are equally good in my opinion, just different. I have both, impossible to pick a favorite :D

SKean and tdavis0903 like this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

All I've ever had of Who's Next was the 1988 MCAD-37217.
    Is that a poor copy or mastering?
    I have often wondered myself about other editions?
    I have the same question about all The Who cds I bought back in the early 90s that are from the 80s or 90.

Tommy, 10005 (1984) Quadrophenia 6895 (1985) A Quick One 31331 (1988) Who's Better Who's Best, 8031 (1988) Odds and Sods 1659 (1988) The Who By Numbers 31197, (Year 1988? Not Sure. ) Who Are You, 37003 (1988) Live at Leeds, 37000 (1990)

I have them ripped at lossless

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The MCA Ultimate Master Disc sounds superb.

The remixed released CD is of course horrible, with a narrower sound.

12. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

The 2013 shm cd and the 2011 shm sacd use the same mastering.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I thought that those MCA Ultimate Master Discs werd mastered with 'Ultimate' brightness.

Dave likes this.
  14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yeah, I had the MCA Masterdisc didn't much care for it. Too bright.
    I also had the MOFI version. Didn't really care for that either. My go to listen is the SHM-SACD or the Canadian version with Steves mastering.

bibijeebies likes this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've got both Steve's mastering on that Canadian pressed CD and the SHM-SACD and hands down, I'll play the SHM-SACD far more often, followed by the original DECCA rainbow label LP. I've sadly never heard the same "magic" from Steve's mastering that others around here have experienced. I mean, it's good and easily the best that I've heard on a redbook CD, in my opinion, but it doesn't deliver anywhere close to the "sound" that the SHM-SACD delivers.

By the way, while we are on the topic, but for years I have also owned the MCA Ultimate Gold CD, as well as the MFSL Gold CD, but they have remained sealed and I just can't bring myself to open them, knowing how much they are worth to me, as a re-sale SEALED. Now that I have and am very happy with the SHM-SACD, I really need to sell those others, while they still have a high selling value, to a collector who needs to own them all!

Maffune likes this.
  16. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Don't open or listen, sell these...

17. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Just a quick question peeps, but is their a Thread on SH mastered CD of Who's Next? or could any one give us a few pointers in identifying..really need to add a Who Album and after checking reviews on Who's Last and My Generation Comps..I'm. No where near closer finding a Good Who Album... Well till i found this Thread..

atb

18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Download is my favorite.

19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I needledropped the Classic Records release, and that's my go to version. No CD of that album has that much life in it!

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I have A/B'd (or I guess A/B/C'd) the Hoffman-mastered Japan-for-US CD, the Hoffman "30ips mastering-move tape" mastered Canadian CD, and the SHM-SACD.

All three are excellent, but I prefer the Hoffman Canadian. Not to be a snob, but the clipping on the "real" Hoffman CD, while not audible in and of itself, was audible to me when I compared it with the Canadian.

And when I compared the Canadian and the SHM-SACD, I found them both excellent but very, very similar. I very slightly preferred the acoustic guitar on the Canadian.

George P and rxcory like this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There is a thread on Steve's Who's Next, but it is long and confusing. The Canadian CD is said to be mastered from an analog safety of the original mastering. The good news is that it can be found really cheap. Mine cost just £5 including shipping (and that was brand new). Just use a Canadian seller of the original MCA disc (the catalog number is MCABD-37217). Identifying an actual SH mastered disc for the US market is tricky. You need either the Japan (Denon) or US (DADC) mastered discs.
    [​IMG]
    Japan (Denon) for US. Note the dot matrix ending 6X and two outer black rings (the JVC Japan for US disc is not SH mastered).
    Later US (Denon) for US may use this mastering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An early US (DADC) for US with Steve's mastering. Later US (DADC) discs may use this mastering. It's also use on some CRC club discs. Other club discs are known to use a level shifted version of Steve's mastering, although the BMG version appears to be sped up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Note: the early US discs may be hard to track down in the UK. The Canadian CD is by far the easiest option (or it was a couple of years ago when I bought mine).

Dan Steele, tmtomh, CrazyCatz and 2 others like this.
  22. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I like Steve's US disc the best, clipping and all. The Canadian disc has a small boost to the low end applied. It is *not* the same sounding as the US disc.

23. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Have you heard any of the SHM or recent download versions?

24. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have the SHM, but haven't listened to it yet.

25. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Different ears, different systems, different opinions.

SKean, Carlox and Jimmy B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.