Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Way too much hot potato with most of the belts these days for my taste. Feels like the Alexa Bliss run was cut short before it really got to play out, and the "Charlotte wins on PPVs but loses on TV" shtick has gotten old fast. Cena's two-week reign seems pointless, especially since they didn't play up him getting to 16.

2. RayS

Not quite WWE (but sort of) - Samoa Joe won the NXT belt from Finn Balor at a house show.

3. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Would be nice if they were setting up a triple threat match with Wyatt-Orton-Harper for the title at WM... not hard to buy into Harper winning a Battle Royal.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  4. jmobrien68

Might be time to scrap Talking Smack after Smackdown... limited roster means same guests over and over and a lot of them (just recently Bliss, Styles & James) come off looking real dopey talking in circles.

5. RayS

I've seen maybe half of them, and I like having the show around just because it has a somewhat organic feel to it (like NXT has), as compared to the micro-managed, stuffy feel that the two primary shows often have. So I kind of accept the fact that it is all over the map. The Alexa Bliss interview when she won the belt completely broke kayfabe, but it was really touching. The Cena interview last week or two weeks ago, which was done right after he was told that his girlfriend got her face smashed into the glass table 10 minutes before, broke kayfabe in a terrible way - he feigned a little bit of interest in her condition and then moved right into hyping his match (some boyfriend SuperCena is!)

Daniel Bryan brings fun and enthusiasm across really, really well - the guy just loves wrestling and maintains kayfabe without coming off like a corporate-hype automaton (which is what Michael Cole is often reduced to) or a commentator whose attempts to sound knowledgeable and opinionated while maintaining kayfabe rarely display any internal logic (looking at you Booker T.)

When AJ had more freedom with his promos in TNA (for the brief period when I watched TNA), he was, IMO, pretty awful with them - the one big weakness in his game. You can see that when he's on "Talking Smack" (he's much better with a monologue in the ring, which I assume is all prepared for him). Miz, on the other hand, looks like he could maintain character during an earthquake - he's been the king of "TS".

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  6. jmobrien68

Bryan is funny... he seems to be seeing how much he can get away with (talking about Ellsworth's genitals, saying that he's getting yelled at in his earpiece then deciding to just take them off). Made me think he's got the attitude of "go ahead and fire me... the Bullet Club would love to have me... I'm sure New Japan will clear me".

RayS and Sammy Banderas like this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Former raw GM and American Gladiators announcer Mike Adamle has announced

Ex-RB Adamle says he has dementia, likely CTE

Mike Adamle, a former NFL running back who went on to a long career as a Chicago and national sportscaster, said he has dementia.

Adamle, 67, acknowledged memory lapses and mood swings in an interview with Chicago's WMAQ-Channel 5 that aired Tuesday. He also said tests in January showed he likely has chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease associated with repeated blows to the head. CTE cannot be confirmed until after death.

Adamle went on leave from his job as a sports anchor for WMAQ nearly a year ago, and he can no longer work or drive.

He starred at Northwestern and played for the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears. He held local and national broadcasting jobs with NBC and ABC and co-hosted the syndicated "American Gladiators" television show.

8. RayS

That's sad news, and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Adamle was actually pretty entertaining in his second WWE run, which mostly involved being willing to make fun of this first, disastrous run.

9. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yes very sad, Adamle was a fixture on Chicago News TV/Sports since the 80's!

10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I miss the days of when someone would hold the belt (preferably a heel) and would have it for a LONG time. Like Honky. You always wanted to see him lose but he NEVER did and now that I am older it made for a great title run. Now they have champs win the belt and LOSE the next night on Raw in non-title matches. Bad booking as it makes champs look weak.

11. I read a comment in another forum speculating the storyline. Makes quite a bit of sense to me.

Pure speculation:

-Y2J screw KO as KO enters the ring at Fastlane. Goldberg spears/jackhammer KO for the win in record time due to sustaining injury from Y2J

-KO gets mad at following Raw, challenges Y2J at WM.

-Y2J puts him on the list. His list, not KO's.

-Y2J wins at WM

-KO destroys and 'permanently' injures Y2J at the post WM Raw.

-Y2J continues his Fozzy career!

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. jmobrien68

Sounds cool... but at this point I'd rather see a psychotic Jericho bent on revenge and leaving 'the list' gimmick and fan pandering at home. I do think Jericho should get the win at WM as a nice send off for this terrific run he has been on... KO can keep himself strong with the post match beatdown, but this seems to be a gimmick that the WWE on a whole is abusing... there were too many during the Elimination Chamber event last week, IMO... it's getting as bad as the 'distraction roll-up' for a pin.

Oh, wait... I see you were saving the send off beatdown for RAW the next night... my bad.

13. RayS

But why oh why do we need the belt on Goldberg, or Lesnar ... or The Rock when he had it as a part-timer?

All those years as "the immovable object" and a "special attraction" and never once (for more than 5 minutes) did Vince or Vince Sr. ever feel the need to put the belt on Andre. And they were right - no feud with Andre ever needed a belt. Goldberg-Lesnar does not need a belt, and we the "Universe" don't need "one more title run" from a guy who can't wrestle for more than 5 minutes at a time and struggles to complete a coherent promo.

I'm still thinking (hoping, I guess) that Goldberg loses to Lesnar at Mania and is never heard from again.

Until the Hall of Fame unfortunately comes calling, as I'm sure HHH has changed his tune since 2010:

"We get that all the time. We call a guy to honor him in the Hall of Fame, and he goes, 'I want to do an angle. I want a one-off. I need a hundred grand," Triple H added. "So when you say, 'What about Goldberg,' no offense to Bill, but you've got guys like Bruno Sammartino that were legends with longevity that should be in there, but they're holding out because they think they've got one more run. Just using Bill as an example, how many years did he wrestle? Not many."

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A transitional champion. Using a "legend" for this protects a roster performer from having a tiny title reign. The question is who will end up with the belt. Lesnar? I honestly don't see it.

15. They always have such an unpredictable crowd at the RAW after WM. I think this would give them a HUGE story. Jericho has always been one of the best combo's in the business - Mic skills & in-ring, but his Fozzy commitments muddle his availability. This gives him a "Summer Vacation" so he can Tour again.

If there were ever a WWE Event I'd like to see in person, it would be the RAW after WM. So weird & unpredictable.

16. RayS

Who is there who will wind up with the belt after Mania who couldn't have just taken it directly off of Owens? Iron Sheik, as the prototype transitional champion, served the purpose of getting the belt from one babyface to another. What purpose is there for that in this circumstance?

Here's hoping Lesnar interferes and the rumors are wrong and the belt stays on Owens. Of course that would burn up one of Lesnar's contracted PPV appearances for a run-in, which seems unlikely.

Could Goldberg have been so vain as to have a title reign (however brief) written into his deal?

17. jmobrien68

I feel the same way... but if you listen to people in the business who talk openly about the business (Bubba Dudley and JR are two that I have heard)... they think Lesnar v Goldberg for the Universal Title headlining WM makes all the sense in the world.
    That being said... I still don't see how in the current 'zeitgeist' of professional wrestling (matches like Cena/Styles & Omega/Okada), you can headline Wrestlemania with a Bill Goldberg match... unless Goldberg has been secretly training in the performance center (which I seriously doubt)... he can't even run the ropes successfully... is Vince really gonna end Wrestlemania with a minute long squash (one way or the other)?

I just hope Owens exposes Goldberg a little bit, the way I remember Punk exposing The Rock when he had to give him the title for a WM lead up... he did the job, but he made it clear that he was carrying a part timer through a clearly pre-determined outcome... but then again... maybe Owens is more of a pro than Punk ever was.

RayS likes this.
  18. jmobrien68

RIP George The Animal Steele
    I remember his old 'Flying Hammerlock' finisher... I think he separated a jobber's shoulder on TV back when I was a kid... that was brutal!
    What are the odds of someone from The New Day eating a turnbuckle pad (do they still use them?) on Monday night?

Oh and RIP Nicole Bass as well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  19. RayS

Loved "The Animal", and he came across as just the nicest guy. One of my favorites when I was a kid.

keifspoon and MikeInFla like this.
  20. jmobrien68

Many people argue that Savage/Steamboat at WM3 was the greatest wrestling match of all time... don't forget The Animal was a key player in that match.

Sammy Banderas and MikeInFla like this.
  21. RayS

"Liz - a - BETH!" :)

I liked the heel Animal over the warm and cuddly Animal of WM3 era. When we were 10 years old it was an urban legend that the Animal was secretly an educated and well-spoken man who taught high school in Michigan. :)

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I was there and it was awesome. I also remember George breaking kayfabe in a match in Joe Louis arena one time and calling audibles. Always loved The Animal.

Sammy Banderas and RayS like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

R.I.P.

Always fun to see "The Animal". Here he is making lunch out of Paul Orndorff's arm:

[​IMG]

Sammy Banderas, Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  24. RayS

Probably tasted wonderful.

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It wasn't an urban legend...it was true.

driverdrummer likes this.