Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Honestly, if that person who said he saw the review, wouldn't he had cut and pasted it on this forum. Like you, I went looking for it and found no such review. The other person saw an advert for a magazine that will contain a review, but that issue is not out yet...think it was Mojo. No reviews are up, I check google every day. No promo copies have hit eBay, every other release has it within days plus my friend's telling me they have not been sent out yet. All of these factors I think make it quite clear that they are not out.

As far as the coming review, sometimes the real early reviews are invites to an office where they can listen and take notes. Think you just need to take a deep breath, they will come out eventually.

Next week is a new week with vast opportunities

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It doesn't take that many sales to get in the charts these days, so maybe.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Yep. That's what I meant. :)

4. Mamunia

Mamunia Forum Resident

Correct me if I am wrong, but am I right in saying Paul and Elvis never did an interview side by side sat down together? Wouldn't it be great if they did one as part of the promo, much like the one Paul and Youth did for Electric Arguments, I enjoyed that one a lot and it meant we didn't just get Paul regurgitating Beatles anecdotes

5. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Will be getting my first look at DVD on Sunday

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Stranger things have happened. I have confidence, it could be part of the comprehensive strategy!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

To be fair, the Pure box got me active on the forum again. I remember i was checking in once a month on the Flowers thread to see if there were any updates and now I've been checking almost everyday since then for updates since I expected Flowers to be released in October/September.

8. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Too bad, no coming soon card I'm cancelling the order.

Well second thought my only real concern is the impact it will have on this discussion group. What will we talk about after we get over FITD set? Couldn't imagine the vacuum we would be living in.

Mr. Explorer and Paul H like this.
  9. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I think that's what he is talking about. I guess there is the Billboard 200 and the Catalog Album chart which if I read into this correctly is for reissues. Who knew!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

No...the Catalog Album chart is for older catalog albums, not "reissues"...

Catalog Albums Chart

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

We'll move right on to talking about Paul's next new album. Anyone who remembers the endless Memory Almost Full threads knows that a regular album can chew up quite a bit of forum storage. :righton:

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Ken.e. and 4 others like this.
  12. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

No don't have that one. My version has the full album and recipe cards. Can post a pic if anyone is interested?

13. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

We won't even mention the NEW threads, talking about endless. I read those when I was just a confused lurker..

14. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind pics!

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Can't wait til we get to hear a clip drom the band demos on CD 3!

supermd likes this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

A positive for me to the download only decision has been for me to look at buying what I haven't got already. Just played the second disc again on my newly acquired Off The Ground - The Complete Works. Wow, I actually think that disc is better than the main album. If the stuff that is download only, that I haven't heard on the forthcoming FITD is up to the quality of this, then someone seriously needs to tell Macca just how great he is and maybe he'll understand why us non downloaders want it.

17. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I am wondering if Capitol's comprehensive plan is the real reason we are not getting a 'Coming Soon' card — MPL is switching gears to ready the catalogue for a new release system, and doesn't quite know where the Archive editions will fit in.

Or think of it this way: Paul has a new album out in July. He goes on television and radio to promote it, announcing more tour dates. When the tour switches those gears, it will not only feature ads for the new album but for the new re-release program as well. Capitol may even run ads in areas next to the new album article: Q, Mojo and Rolling Stone review the album, and the page before/across/after is a one-page ad of "coming soon…." Then, that re-release comes in early fall to avoid competition with The Beatles' Christmas release. (So Flowers In The Dirt got out now to make room for it.)

Given the size of Paul's catalogue, it's likely that re-release catalogue will be spread out. Think David Bowie, which is nearly annual with such a large size as well. (And Paul would like it because it allows him to focus on early Wings once more… he doesn't want to talk much about the end.) MPL has to now look at 2018 releases — the next box set, more new album promotion, the double-dip, etc. — and doesn't know if it can slot an Archive in that time, so it's postponing the announcement until it's decided it can… and then will decide how to move forward, likely based on response to the last one [*cough* downloads *cough*], Paul's wishes, and a detected void in the catalogue [*cough* missing Wings albums *cough*].

18. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

The new issue of Uncut out today has a short review, giving the main album 7/10 and the extras 9/10. Singles out the 'home demos' with EC as the highlight of the set.

Interestingly, George's vinyl box set gets much more coverage. A whole page is devoted to that.

19. Brian from Canada

Any bets that the shorter "Figure Of Eight" mix not included on the b-side disc may be the free download on Paul's site?
    After all, he kept the instrumental mix of "Say Say Say" off to promote Pipes Of Peace. :shh:

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I suspect that is related to the Harrison package covering his entire solo career, as opposed to just a single album.

21. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

yeah and the reissues have not done to shabby either especially chart wise. Even though again in 2017 sales charts and positions are all relative

22. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Incorrect it is one and the same, due to the reissues of "Tug of War" and "Pipes", they both entered the Pop Catalog charts at #1 and #2. That was not sales of the original album doing that, it was the sales of the reissue

23. Brian from Canada

To be fair, Harrison releases are a lot rarer, and there is a higher interest in high fidelity vinyl (which is also rarer) than CD box sets.
    Since George's passing in 2001, we've had one posthumous album, one outtakes set, and three boxed sets (including this one), and one compilation;
    since George's passing in 2001, Paul's had three live discs and another two concert videos, one animated shorts DVD, one remix album, four studio albums, two classical albums, one covers album, nine (soon to be ten) boxed set rereleases, and one compilation.

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  24. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

I take your point, but there's nothing new in the Harrison set; all of it is currently available on CD and online. Also, George is not around to promote it. I would've thought the possibility of interviewing Paul and Elvis about their collaboration would've been enticing to the likes of Uncut and MOJO. But who knows, maybe that offer was never on the table (assuming nothing appears in their next issues). If so, another MPL PR masterstroke....

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Based on his comments over the years (including his advance comments about this set), it seems Elvis is EXTREMELY supportive of the FITD box. Aside from personal or contractual conflicts, I suspect he'd be up for almost anything to support this set.