"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Most of us won't be able to tell until it airs tonight.

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

When I was watching religiously the first couple of months, I noticed a lot of episodes being edited.

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Maybe I'm confused (worst Macca song ever) but the 2/17 show airs tonight, Friday 2/17, I think that's right. Anyway if you mean the show from Thursday 2/16 I noticed that there might have been some audio do-over in post at the end of the big furry hat bit (which also seemed short.) I only watched the monologue, Sally Field, and the ending with Delaney & Bonnie...I mean Lady Antebellum. ;)

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I mistyped the date. I did mean the Thursday 16 show.

There were numerous edits that I noticed during every segment but especially during the monologue. That and Sally Field must have run especially long.

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I've noticed edits during most episodes' monologues - unless I'm mistaken, every time there is a cut to a fixed-camera crowd shot (one of those generic-looking shots of people laughing), that indicates that some content was edited out. And I seem to notice that generic crowd-shot cut at least 2-3 times a week. (Edit: I'm not saying that's the only indication of an edit, but it seems to be a technique that they go to fairly often.)

I'm sure it's more common when there is "late-breaking" news that they want to comment on, and it sounds like they only had a few hours (or less) to write jokes, compile clips, and create graphics for the president's new conference. It doesn't surprise me at all that they allowed the monologue to go longer than they knew they had time for, so that they could edit it down to the "best bits" for the show that aired.

Craig.

6. I do too. I haven't seen many episodes since those first couple months (I too religiously DVR'ed every episode, and watched most of them - or at least parts of most of them).

Haven't bothered since, but it sounds like I need to give Colbert another chance. I was an absolute devout fan of the old Colbert Report, and miss that 'character' of his dearly. Maybe he's found his footing better, now. Will have to check in and see for myself.

MikaelaArsenault and IronWaffle like this.
  7. forthlin

Rooster you should give it another shot. It's still not the Colbert Report but he's firing on all cylinders on most shows. Some of the monologues have shared the brilliance of the old CR days. I also think some his is recurring bits like the Big Furry Hat & the confessions segments are a sort of nod to Johnny Carson.

The only down-side for me is that there are a number of guests that just aren't interesting to me. Probably some of that has to do with CBS forcing some of the stars from their other shows down his throat(that's just a hunch on my part.) When they feature truly interesting guests the show is fine.

MikaelaArsenault and IronWaffle like this.
  8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I have no doubt those show-bizzy guests are being forced on him. When the show first started he seemed to make a point of having unusual guests for late night. Not any more.

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

And to Colbert, apparently. It's hard to watch some of these interviews where he tries so hard to force a connection to the guest, and you can really tell when he's reaching by the number of "uuhh"s he utters. But his monologues are easily the best in the biz.

10. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Goodness. I have to slow down. I thought this was "The Late Stephen Colbert Thread".

MikaelaArsenault, MRamble and OldSoul like this.
  11. forthlin

That happens when he realizes no matter what he does, the person just isn't very compelling.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

MikaelaArsenault and rburly like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

14. forthlin

I often FF through interview segments I'm not interested in, this explains the brief deja vu I experienced as I fast forwarded through those segments before.

15. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It was compound-deja-vu last night. After the second interview they showed a repeat segment. Then after that repeat segment they repeated that repeat segment.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I watch the monologues on YouTube most days. Excellent stuff. Satire is having a great time right now.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'll never forget him on the 2008 Election special when the result had come in and he was sat there with headphones and a blindfold on. "Do not disturb till 2012!"

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Great line tonight, along the lines of:
    "From now on, anybody who gets pretentious about listening to music on vinyl must also use a rotary phone....and no penicillin for you!"

19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Someone please tell him to stop singing!

bluesbro likes this.
  20. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

The title of Stephen's old Comedy Central show was bleeped on tonight's episode. Wow.

krock2009 likes this.
  21. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Skip to about 1:15.

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

So strange -- why would they bleep it??

krock2009 likes this.
  23. poidog

poidog Senior Member

After multiple viewings, I believe Jim Parsons was bleeped. Stephen just appeared to say "ten years" during the bleep.

krock2009, RolandG and HenryH like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Land lines do sound better and I'm allergic to penicillin. I should be clear to continue my pretentious ways.

25. He had a LOT more arrows in his quiver during the 'interview' segments on the old "Colbert Report". He's a good interviewer generally, but damn if some of his interviewees just aren't worth having on his show (or are having an off day).

Colbert used to say his favorite part of the old "Report" show were the interviews, where he had to react in real-time, in character, turning stuff upside down based on the crazy premises (of his character). Some of the finest satire I expect to have ever seen on any kind of regular basis, in my ENTIRE lifetime. Just brilliant.

I'm glad Colbert is getting his footing (finally) in his new format, and I understand he got tired of inhabiting his old character/persona after SO many years. But I still miss the old show. High wire tightrope walking of the highest order, IMHO.

krock2009, dlokazip, trem two and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.