Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well we have the fortunate ability to remember these films, tv shows, etc. they never go away whereas during the 30's, 40's, etc. they did. They might show up on occasion on the bottom of a two film bill. By the way there were remakes for old radio shows as well with the same projects that were popular recast and redone.

It's not exactly a new pheonemena just one that is more obvious now and with our short attention span, need to have comfort films. The reality is that studios are scared of taking a risk even more than they were before and even their low risk projects aren't paying off.

MikaelaArsenault and beccabear67 like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Matt Damon.
    Dude don't look right all Chineseqe.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and the movie will reap what it deserves....

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

5. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

and the original ghost in the shell borrowed heavily from robocop. you're right that almost everything borrows from something else, but hollywood has gotten so lame lately. all they make is remakes, sequels, or adaptations. zero originality!!!

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And the latest news is that Zhang Yimou's The Great Wall, the new Matt Damon action/adventure/fantasy blockbuster, is crashing and burning in America:

Weekend Box Office: 'The Great Wall' Crumbling in U.S. Debut

That's a problem given that that film reportedly cost about $150 million. The report also says that Gore Verbinski's moody horror film Cure for Wellness is bombing as well, but that was a much smaller film, about $40 million (but still a hefty budget).

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Matt will still get his $$.

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I read Legendary Pictures is owned by china sad...:cry:

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Movie hits ?
    John Wick 2
    A mind blowin.
    High octane action and LOUD from start to finish.
    Made the first one pedestrian in comparison. Cinema was packed.

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

So is the AMC theater chain.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We saw Lego Batman Friday. It is hilarious, with many great references. I highly recommend it, if you like Batman at all.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

John Wick 2. I watched. Car wrecked. He mad. Shoot people. Dog, no name. House blow up. Shot more people. Hit some. Not member no more. He ran. Dog ran too.

Me bored.

John Wick 3. Not excellent adventure.

Please no.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Me like review!

MikaelaArsenault, Karsten and mpayan like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate synopsis. Some of the action scenes worked reasonably well, but there's really no plot or character development.

The first film had an organic reason to exist and explored a certain journey, while this one's basically just an excuse for a lot of violence...

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Definitely a lot of hits to look forward to this year. I know I'm not going to bother with Fifty Shades Darker and I won't hold my hopes up for a couple others either. Justice League could be hit or miss, much like Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. And of course, I'm actually looking forward to the Wonder Woman movie more than JL. Most definitely excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming and no doubt Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will not disappoint either. Blade Runner 2049 too should be interesting as I do hope the movie will cement Denis Villeneuve's status as an up and coming talent especially with Dune also in the pipeline. Dunkirk should be interesting and of course, Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - a lot of fans are definitely anticipating what happens next. Also loved Creed so definitely looking forward to the follow-up. :)

And lastly, Thor Ragnarok being another to look forward to as I wish nothing but the best for fellow countryman Taika Waititi as this is his biggest film to date as a director.

17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Okay, so somebody decided to greenlight a movie version of "CHiPs". Twenty years ago I would have thought this was the coolest thing in the world. Now I'm just kinda "Meh."

Anyway, I predict a mediocre box office. Actually, the movie deserves to bomb just for screwing up the title. IT'S NOT ALL CAPS. THE I AND THE S ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FREAKING LOWERCASE.

[​IMG]

18. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

When are they going to remake M*A*S*H? How about The Bob Newhart Show The Movie starring Alec Baldwin?

:wtf:

MikaelaArsenault and Gumboo like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Based on the trailer I've seen, the studio calling it a "CHiPs" movie is stretching it. I didn't get a sense of anything from the original other than two guys riding motorbikes. The trailer made the TV show look like an award winning adaption of a literary classic.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I really wish you wrapped that up in one of those spoiler quote things. After reading your post I know what happens before I've even seen the movie. Totally ruined now. :)

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  21. Does Will Arnett provide the voice of Lego Batman? He was a show stealer in the Lego movie.

22. Oatsdad

I'll be surprised if "CHIPS" - or "CHiPs" or whatever you want to call it - is a good movie or one that makes money. The trailer makes it look dopey and there's no "name" actors involved...

23. Oatsdad

Yup - Arnett reprises his role. Lots of other big names in it too...

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

They brought back the voices of Superman and Green Lantern from the Lego movie also I believe.

25. A remake of MASH based on the more straightforwardly comedic take of the TV show and starring Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn as Trapper and Hawkeye would've been great - if they'd made it 10-15 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.