HBO's Girls

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I'm a little bit surprised there isn't a thread about this show.

This is a pretty polarizing show. It's about four self absorbed, self centered twenty-something girls living in New York. There are times when these people are hard to like. And there are others where you can relate because none come off as perfect. They have flaws.

It's built around, and written by Lena Dunham. She's socially awkward. She doesn't always have the right thing to say. She dresses more oddly than maybe anyone on tv. She doesn't always know which way she's headed. And yet she's fearless.

At its best it is witty, creative, sharp, chance taking and bold.

This is the final season.

CBC, GodShifter and Daryl M like this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

There was, but it's dead now.

Anyone else loving 'Girls'?

(For the record, I changed my mind about hating 'Tiny Furniture' and bought the BluRay - I guess my first impression just needed some context. Occasionally, I am wrong. This was one of those times.)

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I enjoy the series but there are some seriously cringeworthy moments in it. Honestly, the two characters that come off the best are Ray and Adam. All the "girls" are self absorbed lunatics. I've definitely enjoyed the series and look forward to final season. It's been fun.

I did feel, though, the show jumped the shark a bit last season. Whether they can right ship or it continues in its current haphazard path remains to be seen. I'm still willing to give it my time and attention.

chodad and Chris from Chicago like this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I still love it - the first episode of this (last) season was pretty hilarious. But they're all nightmare fuel. Even more than the cast of 'Sunny In Philadelphia' or 'You're The Worst.' Very happy there's a TV screen between me and them.

chodad and Chris from Chicago like this.
  5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I agree about both Adam and Ray. They're really the only normal, fairly well adjusted characters on the show. I even find myself rooting for them. But oddly never for the girls.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Adam isn't "normal" in any sense, really. He has temper issues to an extreme, but he's a very straight forward person. There's no bs with him at all. He sees things in a very black and white manner and tells it like it is. Ray is a very sensible person who's motivations and actions are often very generous and he is not self serving. These two provide the contrast with craziness of the female characters, IMO.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't see Adam as very normal at all. But he gave us the term "c**t-satchel", so that's cool. ;) Ray, yes. He's the most relatable character for me. I've enjoyed the show from the start, though less so the last few seeasons. I really loved the first few, but Hannah has just become more insufferable the last few, and she takes up so much of the show. It's her show, I get it, but I wish there were more balance between the four main girls. Lena has always been the weakest actress of the four, imo. I really love the Jessa character. She would be maddening to be around, but I love the way Jemima plays her and the scenes between her and Adam are fun. I've had plenty enough of the Hannah/Adam relationship and really hope the show bucks convention and doensn't return to it. Shoshana can be hilarious, but she's practically a cartoon character. I think Alison Williams does a pretty good job and I really like her scenes with Desi, as that guy is such an emotional see-saw.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

See. that right there tells me I'm not interested. I cannot relate to any of that in any way.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love Girls. Yes they are self absorbed but it's done with humor and people on the show are self aware re: this,. Glad it's back but sad it's over after this season. I'm nervous that Veep will end soon too.

CBC, mikeyt and sberger like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was under the impression that "Veep" is over. It's not?

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agree, except for the part about being sad that it's over. I was sad when the Wire and Deadwood and The Sopranos was over. I won't be sad about Girls but I do find it funny with good acting. It's funny how many take the show seriously. Yes there are certainly people like this, and yes a lot of them live in Brooklyn, but that said it's about as real as Seinfeld was. It's a satire, plain and simple, and imo done very well. But if you don't like 20 somethings of privilege, especially those in NYC, then obviously not a show for you. Again, IMO.

Stormrider77 and bartels76 like this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nope. New season coming soon.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's awesome news! While I'd never heard it was for sure done, the way the last season ended really seemed like that was it.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought the first couple of seasons were fun but I hit the wall shortly after when the show became quickly annoying.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes, great news. I had assumed the same.

16. bartels76

Veep is coming back in April.

17. bartels76

Also for people that dig HBO shows, you must watch Six Feet Under. Amazing show.

18. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Girls has the best arguments. Lena Dunham is cringe worthy though.

19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

This show is frustrating because it has flashes of absolute brilliance while we endure characters who redefine early-20's narcissism. I really enjoyed last season. As was said above, Ray and Adam are the only characters on the show who are coming from a good place. I want to praise some of writing, acting, and editing, but I cannot be specific without spoiling.

Dan

CBC likes this.
  20. Haven't decided if the show reflects a kind of narcissism or if it actually fuels it.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Love Elijah this year. Funny as hell.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Forgot about Elijah! Also a very good character who has sincere motivations and is a good foil for Hannah's craziness.

Put me down for not wanting to see Adam with Hannah again. That would be very disappointing and predictable.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The prop dept. had to have custom-made that "I survived season three of Ally McBeal" t-shirt, right? That can't really exist in the real world??

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved the first 2 seasons and kind of half watched all the rest of the show.

Need to catch the last season.

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Will never support anything Lena Dunham does, a despicable human being inside and out.

yesstiles, Scott222C and Paper Wizard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.