Sneaky Pete - Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

The whole season is up now. I'm at Ep. 3. Created by David Shore and Bryan Cranston. Cranston has a big role. Also, among others, we see Mags Bennett and Tim Gutterson from "Justified". Vince from "Dexter". Herc and Judge Phelan from "The Wire". Great cast of some of my favorites from other series. Well written and acted, interesting story. I'm loving it so far.

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Why is Cranston not credited? As an actor at least (he is credited for creating & co-writing the pilot). I am on episode 2 so far & liking it.

3. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'm almost finished watching the first season of Sneaky Pete, and it's been very entertaining. Between this and the Billy Bob Thornton show Goliath, there's been some great binging material this winter!

CBC likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree, I've seen 4 so far. This show has a certain Breaking Bad feel to it in the sense that a fairly likable protagonist is involved in a series of escalating situations to which he has to adapt and to resolve in inventive ways (it helps that he's a con man). This of course leads to more complications. Enjoying it very much.

5. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Loved it... Binged it over the weekend... great set-up for Season 2.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seen it all now. I'm putting this in the very top tier of TV series. Excellent stuff.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I watched the first episode, which was released a long time ago as a teaser, and was not all that excited about it. Well done, good actors, but not that compelling.

But it gets way better...

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We're on episode 7, and are really, really liking Sneaky Pete. I didn't do any sleuthing into who put this together (producing, writing, directing), but early on felt it definitely had a Justified sort of vibe to it. After looking into it a bit more, now I know why. It's also great to see good actors from Breaking Bad, The Wire and Justified being utilized together in this show.

Looking forward to the final 4 eps, and season 2!

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just got done with Episode 4 (The Fury). Near the end, Bryan Cranston's character gives a nearly 10 minute monologue...which is just plain fantastic. I mean, even if you don't plan to watch the show, it's worth watching this monologue.

SilkHammer likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Did you watch the first episode again? The new ep1 is different to the old pilot episode and has an extended running time. Not sure what the differences are, but since it's longer, with perhaps other changes, it may effect your enjoyment of the start of the series.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess it's no surprise - Sneaky Pete has been picked up for season 2.

According to Amazon, it debuted with the platform’s second highest streaming numbers of any series to date, behind The Man in the High Castle.

Amazon Renews Sneaky Pete for a Second Season »

RoyalScam likes this.
  13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well you guys are saying its like breaking bad have just turned me off this ! I hate breaking bad !

14. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Those saying it is similar to Breaking Bad is no surprise since Cranston is a creator and co-writer. I can't really watch anything with Cranston now without picturing him as Walter White, such a defining role, but I can imagine the show is great indeed. I think Giovanni Ribisi is a pretty good actor. I liked his performance in Ted. I know that's a comedy movie but I thought he was pretty convincing in it. Much like Cranston before being cast in Breaking Bad I believe that he has been in a ton of movies and tv shows (usually comedic) but was still looking for a defining lead role, and this might be the one for him.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you read that link I provided, you'll discover that Cranston wasn't initially going to appear in this series, but when it got picked up Amazon, and they realized it was going to be serialized and not a procedural, they needed a heavy for the arc, and Cranston volunteered his services. That explains why he appears for about 30 seconds in the pilot.

I don't find this to be Walter White in other clothes. IMHO, you can love Breaking Bad and not have issues with Cranston here.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

WRT to the switch in networks and going from procedural to serialized, I remember making a mental note during the pilot when Marius suddenly starts working with Julia as a bail bondsman and they're on the job, banter flying, etc - I thought oh-oh, this is gonna be the basic setup and the duo will be chasing down runners of the week.

That aspect just felt so broadcast. I liked the comment in the linked article above where it says: "We want it serialized, so can you wash off the broadcast aspect of it and retool it to make it a serialized show". Happily they did so for the rest of the season.

17. Great series. I watched the entire season over the course of a day. Loved the pilot. Interesting fact is that Bryan Cranston was not in the pilot originally (even though he produced it). He was added at Amazon Studio's request.

18. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I'm home recovering from surgery and I finished the series yesterday and like everyone else , think it's really great. The plot just builds and builds and gets more intricate with each episode with some twists along the way. Won't say anything more than that. As has been said before, the casting is superb also.

If I had to be critical, I would say that like a lot of the great shows these days, I think it's missing an element of humor on the level of a show like The Sopranos, which would contrast nicely with the heavy stuff. The show does have some amusing moments, though.

19. Thomas D

As soon as I saw Margo Martindale was "grandma" I thought to myself brace yourself Pete ... this will be more complicated than you think! She's got that slot down! Sweet grandmotherly type on the surface but a bit sinister down a little deeper. Great choice for that role.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Vidiot likes this.
  20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Trying to compare any other show with the Sopranos is probably unfair:). Having said that I was kind of bored with the pilot, but stuck with it. Each episode has gotten better and better. The layers to the plot are pretty well done.

She really does. I thought she figured things out the moment she offered him lemonade in the pilot.

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

If you like Margo Martindale in Sneaky Pete, you'll love her in Justified.

Brenald79 and hbbfam like this.
  22. Thomas D

Hey .. that's what prompted me to by some apple pie moonshine a while back!

jriems likes this.
  23. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Same here. Can't wait for S2.

24. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Outstanding series, strong cast with great acting across the board; a great binge-watch!

:cheers:
    Cat

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

We just finished it last night. It got so much better from Episode 4 forward, IMO. Ended really strong, setting up a potentially great Season 2.

My wife was ready to bail after the first episode. I hung in there, and she wound up joining me toward the end of Episode 4, where Cranston's menacing monologue sucked her right back in - then she was sold for the rest of the run. That first episode really had a "CBS" feel to it. Once they got past that, it started to breathe and find a better rhythm. We're in for Season 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.