HBO's Girls

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

:wtf: Wanna supply details?

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I can't say too much as this is a family friendly forum, but she's openly admitted to doing stuff that veers into 'Jimmy Savile' territory.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never miss the show. One of the best on TV. Great cast and writing.

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

There is NO record of her ever hosting a music countdown program!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I remember watching S1e1 when it was free on-demand & thinking "Is this how young women live today, and is this how they are comfortable having the men/boys in their lives treat them?" I thought it demonstrated an abusive behaviour that the women in the show seemed fine with. I feared that my nieces & nephews have any part of this in their lives. Haven't watched since.

It's funny (not really) how HBO is supposedly providing a platform for supporting women in this industry, both in front of the camera & behind. Yet much their content seems to be anything but supportive of, or constructive toward women. I just don't get it. Where are the admirable women?

Or are we just more interested in "being real" or some such BS, and disguising that as empowerment? I must have gotten old...

showtaper and goodiesguy like this.
  7. That's some fine mansplaining. You find nothing admirable about the characters on Girls, Veep or Game Of Thrones because they don't depict YOUR ideal of what woman characters should be -which if I read between your lines correctly includes unrealistic, always pleasant and altruistic types.

sberger, Stormrider77, Deesky and 2 others like this.
  8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I doubt that anyone expects the audience to consider them role models, any more than the characters on 'Sunny In Philadelphia' or 'Absolutely Fabulous' or 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' or 'The Office.' You're expected to watch them and feel superior - you might not be perfect but at least you're not THAT bad. The tagline for season one was "living the dream, one mistake at a time." Season two was "almost kind of getting it together." If you're looking for admirable role models, I'd recommend 'Supergirl' instead.

And, by the way, how the "girls" treat each other on the show is FAR worse than how the men treat them.

9. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Fair enough. I'm not looking for unrealistic 1950's icons either. Just maybe some balance, or even a slight tip to a more honorable self to which we all should be striving.

And of course, that's all just an expression of my humble opinion.

goodiesguy likes this.
  10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

You just completely discredited yourself right there... :sigh:

Scott222C and marblesmike like this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm not sure anyone in recent memory has successfully done that on a situation comedy. (Bob Newhart being the last example I can think of of a sane man in a sea of nonsense, and his shows weren't competing against a bunch of reality shows and singing/performance contests) I mean, it's only funny when Hannah claims to be the "voice of my generation - or, at least - the voice of a generation" because, by then, well all know just how full of it she really is and we can laugh at her hubris. If someone - anyone- tried to claim (or even show) moral superiority, they'd lose all audience relatability.

There's good examples of what you're looking for on hour-long dramas, of course but, with sitcoms, you're kind of either stuck with having mature grown-ups dealing with external situations or having immature sociopaths creating their own drama. Basically, demonstrating what would be honorable by its absence. It's a much harder challenge for writers to come up with enough different situations for their characters to deal with each week than it is to create characters who work themselves into situations that the average viewer would easily sidestep or possibly not even notice. If you notice that your real life isn't nearly as needlessly complicated as the fictional characters on the show, then you're probably doing something right.

The balance will come, surely. Television goes through phases. Comedy, especially.

jpelg likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think it's a bit of double standard to say that men acting like doofuses is funny and a good premise, but any show that features women acting, shall we say, less than exemplary is "creating bad role models"?

It's a comedy show with some real life emotion and circumstance thrown in. It's not supposed to mirror real life. That said, I'd bet there many women out there with similar neuroses, problems, and hang ups. We are all human, after all.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I find it admirable that Lena Dunham didn't even write herself as the worst character on her own show. We can all agree that Marnie is the most awful, yes?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'd say it's a tie between the two. Marnie is the most selfish but Hannah is the most self absorbed.

93curr likes this.
  15. Yay! Somebody dislikes a fun new word.

Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
  16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I am astonished at the unflattering situations that Lena Dunham puts herself into. Like
    that sunbathing scene on the porch, for example.

EVOLVIST and Chris from Chicago like this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I have liked and disliked each one of these girls at any given time through the years. Right now, Marnie is the one that makes my skin crawl.

Hannah actually said in the season opener, during what may have been a job interview, something like I have an opinion on everything even if I don't know a thing about it. Yeah, in Hannah's world it's all about Hannah.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I literally laughed out loud when that happened. I give her props for her awkwardness.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I came on in the last season, as my wife had watched earlier seasons but didn't have HBO for a few years, and I added it last year.

Shosh is my favorite character. And I really like the surf instructor from the first episode of this season, "Love is easy." I'm in agreement with his viewpoint.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know. At various times they all are. But when I think about that stunt Hannah pulled last season that resulted in the wreck or Ray's coffee truck and how she had no sense of responsibility for it, I think she's certainly matched Marnie.

21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

How can I find out what music is played during the episodes? Went to HBO and couldn't find
    anything. The tune that played over this past Sunday night's credits was terrific.

22. Chris from Chicago

Well...the visit with the writer really took a turn.

23. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'd say.

24. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

It was Desperado by Rihanna.

Daryl M likes this.
  25. I didn't know whether to be grossed out or turned on. Seriously. I mean, I giggled, but... You know, yeah... Haha!

Lightworker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.