Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

All right, it's early, but there have been some important casting announcements.

Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian and, just announced, Emilia Clarke.

[​IMG]
    FILMS // NOVEMBER 18, 2016

EMILIA CLARKE JOINS THE HAN SOLO STAND-ALONE FILM
    THE GAME OF THRONES STAR COMES TO THE STAR WARS GALAXY.
    Emilia Clarke is heading to a galaxy far, far away — and she’s going to meet Han and Chewie.

StarWars.com is excited to announce that Clarke, known for her stirring portrayal of Daenerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones, will join the upcoming untitled Han Solo Star Wars movie. Clarke’s role will round out a dynamic cast of characters that Han and Chewie will encounter on their adventures.

Clarke joins Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover — previously cast as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, respectively — in the highly-anticipated film, which is set prior to the original Star Wars trilogy.

The untitled Han Solo movie, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, is set for release in 2018.
    Emilia Clarke Joins the Han Solo Stand-Alone Film | StarWars.com »

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

KHALEESI!!!

Actually, I didn't recognize her at first with dark hair. But either way, that makes me look forward to the movie even more.

Encuentro likes this.
  3. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I love the thought of all these Star Wars spin-offs. SOOOOO many years were wasted from 1983 through 2015.

This really is better late than never in my opinion. I'm not a Star Wars uber-fan by any means, but it was certainly a big part of my childhood. Heck it was a big part of EVERYONE'S childhood who was in elementary school in 1977.

warewolf95, sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. As long as they keep making big money for Disney, I expect a continuous flow of Star Wars movies (both spin-off stories and main stories as trilogies.) Disney just needs to keep the writers churning out stories. Finding competent directors won't be hard, as many would love the chance at directing a Star Wars movie.

gener8tr and Encuentro like this.
  5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

6. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

mds, four sticks, AidanB and 3 others like this.
  7. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Was just listening to Detroit radio. DJ says "they just announced a new Star Wars film starring woody Harrleson as Han Solo". My god people are stupid.

GLENN, AidanB, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  8. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I guess we'll see how Chewy and Han met, the Kessel run, Lando losing the Falcon maybe? Making the deal with Jabba then dumping the cargo, Boba Fett will probably be in there as well.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Woody looks like he just photobombed the Millennium Falcon.

ianuaditis, bluesbro and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Saw that cast picture this morning...and I was completely flaccid!

sunspot42, bluesbro and smilin ed like this.
  11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The Millennial Falcon?

matteos, AidanB, bluesbro and 6 others like this.
  12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

still not sure about the lead actor on this! the guy on youtube I saw looked and sounded like Ford would have been better! Anthony Ingruber was his name not sure he could do an entire movie though.

13. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Lawrence Kasdan (and son) are writing this so I'll reserve judgment until the damn film comes out, millennial cast or no. It's the "young" Han Solo film FFS.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Young Han Solo should have been played by a Boomer, of course.

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

Harrison Ford was 34 when he filmed Star Wars. Alden Ehrenreich is 27 and looks like he's 27. Obviously the movie (and every movie) is unnecessary but even forgetting that in that cast picture above Ehrenreich doesn't look badass at all, the age is too close to when Han Solo enters the Star Wars movie. If it's a Young Han Solo movie it should be more than a few minutes before he walks into the Cantina.

It worked in The Last Crusade to have a teenage Indiana Jones, but it wouldn't have made sense to have a 30 year old Indy in the intro scene of the movie.

"I need to know how Han Solo got to the cantina in Star Wars" is something no one has ever said.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Encuentro

What's lost in all of this "Young Han Solo" stuff is that, and correct me if I'm wrong, Lucasfilm never actually announced a "Young" Han Solo film. They announced a Han Solo spin-off film, but I don't believe that they ever specified that it was to be a young Han Solo film. Since it will take place before the events of Star Wars, yes, he will be a bit younger, but not necessarily much younger. The "young" aspect of the Han Solo film discussion seems to be an internet rumor invention that caught on.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Not entirely thrilled over this at all tbh, but I will definitely be checking it out. Wonder if it will involve his backstory of Han being an Imperial Officer who got discharged for saving Chewie, with Chewie pledging his life to him ever since - which was what George's original backstory of Han was about. Still with Disney however, they'll likely rewrite canon. Maybe a cameo by Dash Rendar too would be sweet.

As far as Anthology movies go, I'd love to see Disney tackle Shadows of the Empire and also an Obi-Wan film documenting his time between Eps III & IV, as Ewan McGregor has reportedly expressed interest in reprising his role.

AidanB, longdist01 and Rubber65 like this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Emilia is hot no doubt.

Should be a fun movie.

FVDnz likes this.
  19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Time wasted yes, but...it allows people who grew up with the original films to play a part in the new ones. I think that's a big reason they've been successful. The directors (and actors...hell everyone) are fans first.

Rhett likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've got a bad feeling about this.

matteos, AidanB, sunspot42 and 4 others like this.
  21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Would love something from Shadows of the Empire, but my guess is that it would have to be animated.

FVDnz likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I wonder how long it will take Disney to make their money back on the franchise. They paid 4 billion and so far just two movies have grossed 2.5 billion. I wonder how much they make from merchandising? I'm betting they are very happy with their acquisition.

23. Encuentro

24. Well, I imagine he walked to the cantina, didn't he?

You've heard it here first.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  25. SizzleVonSizzleton

I have a whole back story of how he got there. Yes, he walked. Stopped on his way to buy a copy of "Girls With Hair Buns", stepped in some poop. Not totally fleshed out yet, but making progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.