‘Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim’ Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

As announced at the Sinatra Family Forum:

[​IMG]
    [View Larger 2.6MB]

‘FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA & ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM
    TO BE RELEASED APRIL 7TH IN
    EXPANDED 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

CD & Digital Commemorative Edition Adds Two Bonus Tracks
    Remastered Album Also Available on 180-gram Vinyl LP &
    Exclusive, Limited Edition Blue Vinyl LP

Los Angeles – February 22, 2017 – Frank Sinatra’s acclaimed 1967 album with Brazilian music legend Antonio Carlos Jobim, Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim, is expanded for its 50th Anniversary Edition, to be released April 7 on CD and digitally. On the same date, the remastered original album will be released on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl LP and in a limited blue vinyl edition, available exclusively from the Sinatra Shop and UDiscover Music.

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim brought together two maestros from divergent musical worlds in a serene sigh of sun-dappled bossa-nova. In evening studio sessions at Hollywood’s Western Recorders between January 30 and February 1, 1967, Sinatra breathed new life into the album’s 10 songs, accompanied vocally on four by Jobim, who also played guitar on the album. The album’s tracks include seven Jobim originals and three American Songbook classics, delicately arranged and conducted by Claus Ogerman with a studio orchestra, and produced by Sonny Burke.

“I haven’t sung so soft since I had the laryngitis,” joked Sinatra during their first evening together in the studio, easing into the hushed swing of the sessions.

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim ascended Billboard’s albums chart in April 1967, peaking at No.19 and remaining on the chart for 28 weeks. The 50th Anniversary Edition’s CD and digital formats include two bonus tracks: A medley of “Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars”/“Change Partners”/“I Concentrate on You”/“The Girl from Ipanema” from A Man And His Music + Ella + Jobim, and a previously unreleased studio session of “The Girl from Ipanema" from January 31, 1967.

Preorder Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (50th Anniversary Edition): UMe Link

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (50th Anniversary Edition)

CD / Digital
    1. The Girl from Ipanema
    2. Dindi
    3. Change Partners
    4. Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars
    5. Meditation
    6. If You Never Come to Me
    7. How Insensitive
    8. I Concentrate on You
    9. Baubles, Bangles and Beads
    10. Once I Loved

BONUS TRACKS
    11. Sinatra-Jobim Medley:
    Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars/Change Partners/I Concentrate on You/The Girl from Ipanema (from A Man And His Music + Ella + Jobim)
    12. The Girl from Ipanema (previously unreleased studio session from January 31, 1967)

180g Vinyl LP / Limited Edition Blue Vinyl LP
    SIDE 1
    1. The Girl from Ipanema
    2. Dindi
    3. Change Partners
    4. Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars
    5. Meditation

SIDE 2
    1. If You Never Come to Me
    2. How Insensitive
    3. I Concentrate on You
    4. Baubles, Bangles and Beads
    5. Once I Loved

2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Never being a Sinatra fan, but this is one of my all time favorite albums by any artist. The blue vinyl is tempting...

bhazen, Sean, Rockford & Roll and 2 others like this.
  3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thanks Bob, I'll certainly consider the vinyl if it's mastered well.

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Is there a link to pre-order the blue vinyl?

5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Oddly, I have a ton of Sinatra, but I do not have this album. That problem will soon be rectified.

Fender Relic likes this.
  6. Bob F

The pre-order link in the press release is not yet working, but I expect it will be activated soon.

7. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I'm thinking this is the original mix remastered. Hope they get it right

Sean, AlecA, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  8. Is there any precedent for that? Wouldn't UMe / Ron McMaster simply use the 2010 digital version at High Resolution to cut the vinyl?

rxcory likes this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I was just playing my NM original stereo LP last night and it sounded fabulous, so as much as i'm tempted to get the blue vinyl i think I'll pass. I might've gone for the CD, if the bonus tracks were better and there were more of them.

10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

It looks like Rhino did this in 2004, Kevin Gray mastered it. Anyone have that pressing?

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Would it kill them to include a bonus 45 featuring the two bonus tracks with the vinyl LP?

12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's a short enough LP where both those tracks would probably fit on the LP.

SteveM likes this.
  13. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

likewise, big sinatra fan, but my collection stops in the early 60's.

being that i do NOT have vinyl-playing capabilities, i'd be primarily interested in the cd on this one.

of the past cd releases of this title, which was best? which is "the one to beat?" is there a consensus?

smitquest

14. The 1998 Entertainer Of The Century release tends to be the most favoured but I understand it's a remix - it was reissued in 2010.

15. Bob F

As with nearly all of the UMe Sinatra LPs to date [New UMG Vinyl Releases »], I believe the intent is to produce an accurate reissue of the original album.

BTW, the TV medley track runs 6½ minutes on the released DVD. It's unclear from the description how much of the "previously unreleased studio session" is included in the second bonus track.

hodgo and SteveM like this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Are you talking about the segment from the Sinatra special where they are sitting opposite each other and Frank is smoking a cigarette as he sings? That special ended, as I recall, with Ella singing an amazing "Lady is a Tramp." Along with Elvis 68 special, that is among the best musical programs ever televised. I should buy it again.

rangerjohn likes this.
  17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Count me in.

One of my desert island albums.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  18. Bob F

Yes: "A Man and His Music + Ella + Jobim", broadcast November 13, 1967. Third annual show in the "A Man and His Music" trilogy of Sinatra TV specials.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  19. Bob F

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. Thank you for that promo clip. That's another definite purchase for me!

Bob F likes this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes and it is excellent. It's also in stereo.

on7green and MattG like this.
  22. It's a long shot I know but has anyone heard the Japanese stereo pressing from 1980?

23. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Agreed it is excellent probably the best I've heard it.

24. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Hopefully, not the clam filled cd version of a few years ago. Still prefer the suitcase version and if you don't have the dvd of the Jobim/Ella show-GET IT NOW!!!

25. What is a "clam filled cd" when it's at home?