Going to NYC next week. Best record shops?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Sam, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

it was pretty cheap there was vinyl for $1 and there was vinyl at $5-7. I bought The cult live album for like $4 and a bay city rollers album for really cheap. Generation also is fairly priced as most expensive album you will find will be $10 unless its a doors album

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Average prices for secondhand vinyl here in Dublin would be around $12, prices range from $5 to $20 for general browsing! Specific items can cost a lot more!

JG

3. AcidPunk15

$12 for what album. in NYC $12 would buy you the Who Sells Out. I paid $10 for that.

4. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Prices at Bleecker St were just generally inflated. Same records available elsewhere for less. Academy has a wide range of music genres at all their stores. The East Village and (pretty sure) Brooklyn stores are all vinyl. The 18th St store also has used CDs, DVDs and Blurays. It also has an impressive vinyl Classical Music section.

5. AcidPunk15

good to know i assume the same is with generation i remember buying 9-10 records for $60 ok great academy it is thx brother.

6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

As I said... Average prices for secondhand vinyl here in Dublin would be around $12, prices range from $5 to $20 for general browsing!

Most 70/80/90 rock UK/US bands
    Most singer/songwriters
    Most Jazz albums

JG

7. Michael Prete

Michael Prete Forum Resident

As a life-long New Yorker, I'd avoid any of the shops in the village. Inflated prices for tourists. For Manhattan, the two Academy spots, Good Records, and A-1 are the real respectable places.

The Brooklyn stores off the G-train corridor are really where you should be going. Academy Annex, Record Grouch, Captured Tracks and Human Head are all necessary stops.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Do any of them have a significant amount of used CDs?

9. Michael Prete

Michael Prete Forum Resident

Academy on 18th street has the largest of most stores left, and it's pretty big. Academy Annex in Greenpoint has a section, but it's not huge. Otherwise some places have a token section or none at all.

Hep Alien and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.