Star Wars: Rogue One [Now with GIANT SPOILERS, so beware!]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoping to finally catch this in a movie theater this weekend. Not how much longer I'll have to see it though, it's left all the main movie houses in DC proper, so I'm forced to head out to the suburbs (to a 22-screen multiplex), where I suspect it may be in its last weeks.

Or if not, it'll be on cable eventually.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

May the Force be with you then, cause I'm surprised it's still playing anywhere but dollar theaters :p

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's still at 2 AMCs in my area - though that drops to one AMC tomorrow!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Dollar theaters still exist?

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

They're more like $4.25 theaters now, but the concept is the same :p

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Don't think we have any cheepie movie theaters in the Philly area anymore :-(

7. Rogue One Blu-ray announced: no 4k Ultra HD, no Atmos, and NO DELETED SCENES! I wonder if we will ever be able to watch the original cut of the film . . .

8. I still don't get this. I thought the effect was seamless. Leah really, truly looked as she did in A New Hope--I just watched ANH again yesterday and I swear, I think I know the exact scenes they used as references. Cushing was seamless, too--no uncanny valley effect whatsoever for me. He was a bit too tall compared to ANH, though.

9. Same here. I thought they had found a look-alike actor and maybe did some makeup work to accentuate the resemblance. Never in a million years would I have expected ILM to be able to pull off what they did!

10. It wasn't seamless. It looked artificial and was VERY distracting. It looked like an approximation of Carrie and Peter.

So it looked exactly like what it was.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    agentalbert and vegafleet like this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Pistols at dawn, gentlemen.

Stormrider77 and wayneklein like this.
  12. CGI faces at dawn with the pistols! LOL

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

You may fire when ready!

wayneklein and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

[​IMG]

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It's out on Vudu. I was really disappointed that I could not rent it today. The only option I have is to buy it for $19.99. But here's the thing, why would I buy it when I could just wait another week and a half when the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo is out? Sure you pay a couple more dollars, but you get all three formats.

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Although it could be for a variety of reasons, I think it's kinda funny that Rogue One has been rented as a Pay-Per-View movie ($15.99) at the hotel where I work four times in the last week and not one of those viewings made it all the way through the film...an hour and one minute is the most anyone watched:laugh:

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can understand that. I was thinking of quitting too, but I persevered to the end. I was so bored for most of the time - things only picked up a little toward the end with the battle scene.

All the main characters were dull, including the lead. It was like they had a charisma-ectomy. I didn't care about any of them, there was no spark. How could they cast these people? And the plot was also dull. Vader sounded like a wimp - they should have gotten a voice actor to do an impression!

The most interesting characters weren't even human! I liked cgi-Tarkin and the robot, which was just C3PO-lite. Yawn.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I feel that both Rogue One and TFA is sort of a reboot/remake of Star Wars 1977.

Death Star, a kid without parents becomes the hero. Darth Vader/Kylo Ren, annoying droids

fishcane likes this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yep. I agree with every word. A bunch of characters I didn't care about to begin with, so why am I gonna care when they bite the big one at the end? The first half of the film was so draggy...boring- when I'm going for a pee and some munchies while the movie's still playing at the bloody theater, there's a problem.

Not gonna lie: I'd probably be inclined to watch any of the Prequels again before sitting through Rogue One a second time.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As much dislike as I've thrown at "R1", I gotta admit I liked it a lot more the second time. It went from a 2 out of 10 for me to probably a 6/10.

If my review copy of the stinkin' BD ever arrives, we'll see what I think of it a third time!

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Strangely enough, it seems that Amazon is not selling Rogue One on Blu-ray/DVD. Prior to the release date, when most outlets had it available for pre-order, Amazon listed it as "Currently unavailable." Now that it's been released, it's available to order but listed as "Temporarily out of stock."
    Amazon.com: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray]: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Alan Tudyk, Donnie Yen, Wen Jiang, Ben Mendelsohn, Guy Henry, Forest Whitaker, Riz Ahmed, Mads Mikkelsen, Jimmy Smits, Gareth Edwards, Screenplay by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, Story by John Knoll and Gary Whitta, Based on Characters Created by George Lucas: Movies & TV

When you go to the Rogue One section of the official Star Wars site, there are links to every major online retailer to order the Blu-ray/DVD with the exception of Amazon.
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Official Site - StarWars.com

Perusing the review on Amazon, it appears that Disney and Amazon are bickering over prices.

22. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I've liked it more than Force Awakening

23. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Yep! Same thing with Doctor Strange.

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I liked both very much but think Rogue One is the better film and I think it's he one people will still be watching more in 10 or 20 years time. The Force Awakens was a great way to reboot the movies but there isn't much that doesn't feel like we've seen it before, I think Episode 8 and 9 will be much better.

25. Amazon is in a peeing Match with all things Disney related to the discount they get for selling the movie. As a result, they are withholding purchase of any Disney related product on date of release.

Jeff Kent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.