New York City Record Store Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

What is a "mohel"?
    Oh, I see.... I get it now... Thanks to Seinfeld...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Agreed 100%! Ebay and Discogs - that's where NYC record stores put their good records. Whatever You can usually find in the actual store are just leftovers, that wasn't listed on the internet because of condition (but still overpriced) or lack of desirability.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My favorite record store in NYC, but obviously they only have jazz! I've gotten some really good deals in there too.

I also make a point of hitting the two Academy stores in Manhattan when I'm in town.

Walking around Chelsea or the Village during the summer, you might find some dudes selling records on the sidewalk, and not necessarily junk either.

4. StevenC

sad. Not a good business strategy either. While you may make an extra buck having more eyes on a collectible record, REPEAT WALK-IN BUSINESS is what keeps the lights on and the lease paid. I'll be in New York for business so not record shopping isn't an option. WTF am I going to do? Go see "Wicked" on Braodway? Come on...

It sounds like Amoeba really is the best record store in the world.Go to San Francisco or West Hollywood (not so much the Berkeley store), you'll find collectible stuff adorning the walls and behind the register. Those who've never been find it hard to believe... Maybe we're in a bubble in California, but last time I was in Amoeba Hollywood on a random Sunday, it was packed and I waited in line to pay for 15 minutes... Not too bad...

5. StevenC

Well, my trip is complete... And you were all very helpful. Especially the kid who told me to take the L to Brooklyn. Here's how the trip went:

First on my list was Rough Trade. I love British music (Suede, Blur, The Smiths, Pulp, etc.). Get off the train at Bedford and as I walk toward Rough Trade, I bump into Earwax. I was told that this wasn't a must, but I am glad I went in. I found an original UK Rough Trade 12" of The Smiths' Girlfriend In a Coma. And let me tell you, if I took a time machine back to 1987, I wouldn't have found it in better shape! Not easy with a black cover.

Ended up at Rough Trade next. A bit of a disappointment. No UK versions of Records?? Only the lesser US versions? But you're a British shop! I mean, NONE?? I had a budget for this store of $500.00. I left with a Rough Trade exclusive pink vinyl version of The Julie Ruin's great new album and a Rough Trade shirt and that is it! Crazy. I then walked down to Academy. Major disappointment. Just a bunch of old used records. 95% were nothing special. There were a few gems within that 5%, like an original "Meet The Beatles" but the rest of it left me disappointed.
    I was running out of time rapidly. I had a business dinner. I wanted to hit up this Brooklyn-only shoe store called Greats. Next door was a clothing shop and I needed a shirt for this work dinner. I go in, the kid running the shop sees that the humidity was killing this California boy and tells me "Sit down. You want a summer lager or an IPA?" Brought me out a Brooklyn brand Summer lager and we sat and chatted about records (because he'd spotted my record bags). This was actually a highlight. He explained that "If you have any style, Human Head Records is better than all those other stores. They have great diversity in genres and you'll find the real gems in there..." But explained it was a tough one to get to on foot within my time allowed.
    In the city, I hit up Turntable Lab, Jazz Record Center on the 8th floor and A1 records?

This is how I have to sum it up, Brooklyn is very cool. Loved the borough... But if you haven't been to Amoeba Hollywood, grab a plane ticket and go. Save at least $1,000.00 to spend there. Don't let people tell you it's corporate either. It's just so much better than these other shops. I mean, Rough Trade was so disorganized with records crammed in racks and shirts on top of boxes just...wherever... It doesn't come close. Amoeba San Francisco is not too shabby either. Make sure you go through the "recent arrivals" section FIRST. Either location, new, used, jazz, it's all there and I hope you get to go.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. Skalap

Skalap New Member

Human Head Records is on my "to spend $" list so I'll update when I'll be there. Close from there is also Norman's Sound & Vision. Any opinion about this shop?

7. StevenC

Living near Amoeba Records in California and having been to London last month, what I will say is that NY record stores were wildly overrated. I have a local record shop that has a great collection of jazz records... runs circle around that Jazz Record Center in NYC. I think Human Head was the best. Had been saving for ages for record shopping in New York. I had about $1,000 for rarities. Spent $87 maybe and bought some shoes and a jacket instead :)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  8. Skalap

Skalap New Member

Really? Even if my budget is not that much, I expect to spend a bit more than $87. I think I will order some reissues I specifically want on Internet and ask for deliveries at my hotel. Concerning the shops, will see what I can find.

9. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

too many hipsters

10. AcidPunk15

I hear thats why PRE is such a great record store.

11. AcidPunk15

12. Skalap

Skalap New Member

I will stay a few days in LA and Long Beach in April too. What is this jazz record shop name? Also, I am looking for West Coast Get Down members records like the new Miles Mosley, Josef Leimberg, Cameron Graves or, a bit apart, Terrace Martin. Where will I have more chances to find these records? I will spend two night close to Fingerprints shop in Long Beach, is it the right place? Thanks!

13. StevenC

the Jazz shop I mentioned isn't in LA. It's in San Jose and it's called The Analog Room. Amoeba is your best bet for that stuff... if in Hollywood, Amoeba is easy. Don't let local people you hang out with tell you there's too much traffic... It's NOT to be missed! Also, walking distance away is Record Parlour... But Amoeba will likely have your stuff... AND, Amoeba.com site is NOT indictative of what you will find in store... Have fun... Also, YES... FINGERPRINTS... Great shop! Amoeba is easy from Long Beach... 710 east to 101...

14. Skalap

Skalap New Member

Thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.