Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I miss ClassicsOnline. Lossless and HD streaming.

I do like Spotifiy, especially when I travel.

ubertrout likes this.
  2. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I certainly hope my post didn't come off as anti-streaming or "old man yells at cloud"-like. I realize this is the way everything is going and it's even the stuff I dreamt about being possible when I was a kid. Now it's here and it just doesn't work for me. Yet.

I suppose my response wasn't really helpful at all and I shouldn't have even responded. Sorry to take your discussion off-track!

My only experience with a streaming library has been the Naxos on-line library and it was frankly amazing. It was also completely overwhelming to me as well. It's funny that when provided with a library that massive to choose from, I found myself actually paralyzed when I tried to find something to listen to unless someone told me to check something specific out. There was just so much to explore that I found myself listening to a little chunk of something unfamiliar then quickly moving on to the next chunk of something else and never really listening to anything. I think this was a big reason I felt I wasn't getting much out of it. I didn't really utilize it at all and kept going back to hear what I already owned.

I suppose that says more about me than anything else.... (OK, insert "man yells at cloud" JPEG here).:D

ggjjr, bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  3. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

You didn't sound like that, Eigenvectorn. I think your input is very appropriate.

But if you insist (and also, I want to be the first one and crush the competition):

[​IMG]

4. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

No, your comment was totally appreciated and substantive. As is your comment about the Naxos library. And it is a little paralyzing - kind of in the way a megabox can be, only much more so. I think the moment the scope of Spotify's collections hit me is when I realized I didn't need to buy the Fritz Reiner box (I was debating - I already have a complete set of Living Stereo SACDs and some other single CDs of his art) because the whole darn thing is there on Spotify, neatly organized.

Looking right now at their site, if I want to listen to Scheherazade, I have quite literally over 200 options to choose from (although some may be duplicates, it's still a very substantial number of options. On the flip side, if you're interested in exploring the work of Paul Juon, there are 12 albums, all recent recordings from well-known independent labels, to choose from.

It's mostly enjoyable though...if someone recommends a work on this forum I can just check it out on Spotify instead of waiting for a used copy of a CD to arrive or pay for a new one. Just a lot to take in.

Adam9, Marzz, SteelyTom and 3 others like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

On of my favorite BBC Music Magazine CDs. I'm listening while the Phillies-Yankees game is on TV with the sound off. Going to Spring Training in Florida is on my bucket list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, bluemooze and alankin1 like this.
  6. And then only on pay day...:cool:

But I'd rather he was ugly and the music was beautiful...

David Ellis, SteelyTom and bluemooze like this.
  7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Prokofiev is one of my musical heroes. Based on that CD I would recommend, if you don't already know them:

Symphony #2 (particularly the Leinsdorff)
    Piano Concerti #1, #2 and #3
    Visions Fugitives for solo piano
    Violin Concerto #1
    String Quartet #1
    The Steel Steps (Pas d'Acier) ballet

the list is endless!

David Ellis, Eigenvector and Jacline like this.
  8. Eigenvector

Thanks!!! :D :edthumbs::edthumbs:

Jacline likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to have a listen to all of these. :edthumbs:

Steve G likes this.
  10. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I would start with that second piano concerto and you might find that your heart is in danger!!

11. Eigenvector

I love Prokofiev and especially like his piano sonatas. Specifically 6-8. the "War Sonatas" very powerful and moving, IMO.

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

which one is the Bb one? That is on my piano right now in fact.

13. Eigenvector

Sonata No. 7 is in Bflat Major. it's my favorite of the three. Very challenging!

SteelyTom and bluemooze like this.
  14. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Steve, thank you: I never really took notice of the "Pas d'acier" ballet. It's a most interesting discovery for me. And a Serge de Diaghilev choreography, no less? Great!

bluemooze and Steve G like this.
  15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

yeah but it's not the one I read through - No. 8 is also in Bb and that is the one! I had to check.

Eigenvector likes this.
  16. Eigenvector

Ah, yes, you are correct! Nice!!

17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Just by way of experiment I downloaded in 24/352.8 the first track from the 2L recording of Ole Edvard Antonsen, trumpet and Wolfgang Plagge, piano playing Holberg from Furatus

(I also ordered the Blu-ray/SACD for the 5.1 version)

The playing is superb, the music is superb, and the sound quality of the recording is breathtakingly good. VERY highly recommended.

SteelyTom, bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Mine is the one I grew up with, Crespin, Minton with Solti on a great Decca recording from 1969.

bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Listening to this now another nice DVD.
    [​IMG]

DeepFloyd11, Jacline and bluemooze like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

DG will release another Claudio Abbado set in Europe, on April 21: Claudio Abbado and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (8 CDs), which includes the 3 Mahler Symphonies he recorded with them for DG (1, 2 and 5) and several concertos: Claudio Abbado und das Chicago Symphony Orchestra (8 CDs) – jpc

This version of Mahler 2 is the one recorded in 1976 with Carol Neblett and Marilyn Horne, which isn't included in either of his 2 DG Mahler boxes. A great performance.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    SteelyTom, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I've got the single-disc issues of the Prokofiev concertos with Mintz and the Bartok first and second concertos with Pollini. Beautifully played, if a little too even-keeled, in the case of Mintz.

The CSO recorded Mahler 1 with three different conductors within a span of a few years: Solti, Abbado and Guilini. I just received and played the SACD reissue of Guilini's, a beautifully songful, well-engineered 1971 recording.

[​IMG]

22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Jacline, I think all of the EMI studio recordings have been reissued in the format, albeit at near-extortionate prices. Thanks for the feedback!

Jacline likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Agreed. Seems to me that Giulini is slowly but surely disappearing into the mists of time - undeservedly, he was one of the excellent conductors of the second half of the 20th Century.

layman, David Ellis and ssstand like this.
  24. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Totally agree! I wonder if his reputation suffered from the lack of a high-profile orchestral appointment (apparently, a jealous Solti marginalized him over time in Chicago). Everything he choose to record, he did so out of conviction and usually delivered a special performance-- a bit like Carlos Kleiber in that respect....

layman and alankin1 like this.
  25. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

You're welcome.
    I did not know they were sold at highway robbery prices. (I don't buy SACDs, myself.)
    That is a crying shame.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Marzz likes this.