Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Do either of you have this performance? It's one of the first operas I bought on CD.

Now listening to "Rossini - La Cenerentola" performed by the Orchestra e coro del Teatro Comunale di Bologna led by Riccardo Chailly on London.

With:
    Alessandro Corbelli
    Enzo Dara
    Michele Pertusi
    William Matteuzzi
    Cecilia Bartoli

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

This is good way for me to start the day. CD 1, then either off to the gym or, if the appliance installer calls to come today, a new dishwasher. That's money I didn't want to spend. Yeah, yeah, I know-I could wash by hand, but the stuff of the counter on either side of my small sink doesn't leave from for a dish drying rack.

Besides, I'm lazy when it comes to things like that. I do a lot of cooking and meal preparation so I'm not washing dishes also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I was listening to some Archiv Produktion records yesterday in the morning and I got impressed by how nice they sounded. These were from the late 50s early 60s.
    Archiv is a subsidiary of DG but for some strange reason the recordings on Archiv sound so much better in comparison. Full, warm sound with a very nice representation of the space they were recorded.
    I like also how they present the information about the works and the recordings, like a real library archive.
    I have overlooked these before when I was buying records, cause of the plain cover so I think I probably have only around 10 LPs in my collection and some box sets but I definitely plan to get more soon.

Gardo, crispi and David Ellis like this.
  4. bluemooze

Completely agree. :edthumbs:

The Archiv records in my collection are of the finest recording, manufacture and sound quality.

Of particular merit, IMO, are the box sets comprising the "Die Neue Bach-Edition." These came out around 1985 to commemorate his 300th birthday.

BTW, there is another, very similar release that is available out there. But it is an earlier edition. Probably just as good but it is an earlier edition. It can be recognized by the covers being different, with a lighter blue color scheme. The ones I'm talking about are illustrated below, with the the deep dark blueish/purplish covers. This set has more recent recordings where Archiv saw fit to substitute them. :)

[​IMG]

5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.10 realised by Deryck Cooke
    — BBC National Orchestra of Wales – Mark Wigglesworth (BBC Music)

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I had a DVD with Bartoli as Cenerentola some years ago. She was fine but the production was a bit ordinary and unfunny. I ended up with the Abbado DVD with Von Stade as Cinderella which is very fine for both music and staging. On records I only have the old 50s era performance with Gui conducting at Glyndebourne and Marie Gabarain as Cinderella. It's a tricky opera to do well.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. bluemooze

First listen to "Hans Richter-Haaser" on Melo Classic.

Mozart - Piano Sonatas K.284 & K.533
    Beethoven - Piano Sonata 16
    Haydn - Piano Sonata 59

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and 5-String like this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 5 from the Marriner/ASMF set. Also Heinrich Baermann-Adagio for Clarinet and Strings, Schoenberg-Transfigured Night.

[​IMG]

9. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yuja Wang certainly employs a stylist who knows how to make headlines. But what about the music??

I saw her give a solo recital in London a couple of years back and was distinctly unmoved.
    Sure, she has a fearsome technique but that's as far as it goes for me. Playing works by some of my favourite composers like Scriabin and Rachmaninov, everything was hammered out so relentlessly it's like she had some kind of point to prove, but I don't know what it was ... All of the works had to submit to her iron will rather than communicate the essence of the music.

The audience thought it was marvellous though. :confused:

10. bluemooze

As far as this particular CD goes, are there other performances of the Rachmaninov and Prokofiev concertos that you have a preference for? :)

11. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Thanks for posting your opinion! I was starting to think it was just me! I've never seen her perform live but everything I've heard (and seen on YouTube) has made me not want to ever do that! "Brutal"was the one word that went though my mind listening to her performances.

Just my opinion, though. Sorry to any fans.

julesd68 and bluemooze like this.
  12. bluemooze

First listen to "Ego sum Resurrectio" performed by Aurora Surgit on Naxos.

[​IMG]

jbg, Marzz, Eigenvector and 1 other person like this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've never seen Wang live and the only cd that I have by her is the Brahms violin sonatas with Kavakos. I haven't played that cd for while but I don't remember anything especially bad or especially good that has to do with her playing.
    There was a forum member that was a major fan of her and he always posted about her in the classical corner. I haven't seen any new posts by him for a long time now.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

15. bluemooze

Steve G, this just arrived and I'm giving it a first listen. Where do Chout and Three Oranges fit in on your Prokofiev goodness scale? :)

"Prokofiev - Suites from Chout/Le Pas D'Acier/The Love For Three Oranges" performed by the Scottish National Orchestra led by Neeme Jarvi on Chandos.

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  16. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Probably higher with Jarvi than otherwise. Chout is cool. A love for three oranges is really an opera and is pretty lightweight although fun. I've never really paid attention to what is or isn't in the suite. Let me know. For the operas I like Fiery Angel and War and Peace the best. He just write such a ton of music and all of it is real music ya know?

bluemooze likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 2. He wrote all of these when he was quite young, 12-14 years old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Most people know of Mozart, but Mendelssohn was a true musical genius, a real child prodigy!

bluemooze likes this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Both died before turning 40. Many similarities.

5-String likes this.
  21. bluemooze

Now on the turntable "Byrd - The Great Service" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

[​IMG]

jbg, Gardo, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I understand the feeling of the last I listened to remaining fresh. I'm horrible at comparing versions of pieces. Usually the last I listened to is my favorite. Except live performances, they will usually trump recordings, even when I'm seeing a middle range orchestra like the NSO.

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm late replying to this since I just discovered this thread. I stream pretty much every day, though I usually listen from my computer or iPod. A lot of my streaming is to check out new purchases but I also stream for convenience. My problem with streaming classical is just finding the recording if it's one in particular. It's usually not a problem, but occasionally it's very hard to find a recording on Spotify. I miss classicsonline.

24. bluemooze

Think I'll join you...

Now on the turntable, record 2 from "Mendelssohn - All the String Symphonies" performed by the Wurttemberg Chamber Orchestra, Heilbronn led by Jorg Faerber on Vox.

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax and Eigenvector like this.
  25. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Fabulous stuff - I was lucky enough to sing Byrd in my youth and brings back great memories whenever I hear it ...
    Doesn't get much better than The Tallis Scholars either!