Broadchurch

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stillrockin, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Broadchurch is back! Season 3 episode 1 has aired.

turnersmemo, AndrewS and MRamble like this.
  2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Great news. When I got into this show, I also got into The Fall and the new season of that show has let me down. I'm hoping Broadchurch continues to deliver the goods.

Brenald79 likes this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Same here. Got into The Fall at the same time but wasn't able to even finish Season 3.

MRamble likes this.
  4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

And also add to the list "Happy Valley" another good crime series. But that also fell off my radar after the new season started. Should really get back into it as I don't think it was worse than The Fall's "fall." :) Have high hopes for Broadchurch--I really loved those characters.

Brenald79 likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I haven't seen Happy Valley yet. I need to catch up with that. Line Of Duty is another stellar British crime series that just finished it's third season.

ex_mixer and MRamble like this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought Broadchurch S1 was okay (not worth the over-hype it was accorded). S2 was really bad. S3 - I guess I'll never know as I simply don't care. They're milking a dead horse!

Dubmart likes this.
  7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'll probably watch episode 1 of series 3 tonight. I thought series 2 was a misstep, with it's retread, in court, of the first series. From what I understand this is a completely new case, my one concern being it's the same location and presumably characters.

The best, UK, crime series this year has been Unforgotten series 2, even though it was inferior to series 1, I don't know if this has aired elsewhere, if you're able I strongly recommend you seek it out.

Brenald79 likes this.
  8. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Olivia Coleman, so I'll watch pretty much anything she's in.

I enjoyed the first two series, and the third is off to an interesting start!

Mr. H likes this.
  9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wasn't going to watch season 2 but was glad I did, so I'll at least give season 3 a try. Never have seen the Gracepoint remake for N.America and it was shot here. Happy Valley I liked as much too, and I remembered Sarah Lancashire from Coronation Street as a ditzy barmaid.

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

That was an odd choice but then they set themselves quite a challenge, trying to extend a crime series that's set in a tiny town where there's never any crime. They should have called the show something other than "Broadchurch."

I thought they might try to extend that storyline even further by having the killer from S1 turn up dead but it doesn't sound like that's what S3 is about.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It was funny seeing the extended tracking shot from episode 1 recreated on Oak Bay Avenue!

12. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I thought first episode is starting this coming Sunday.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Feb 27 is listed as the air date. I've seen it!

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just started watching Unforgotten, great show. Thanks for the mentioning it! I just realized that for years I thought Olivia Coleman from Broadchurch and many other great shows was the same person as Nicola Walker from Unforgotten and MI5.

15. Pastafarian

I watched episode 1 of series 3 last night and whilst I enjoyed it, I do have some doubts about how it's going to unfold. Tennant and Coleman's chemistry is still there and the new story, an alleged rape, seems to have enough intrigue, however the Latimers appears after 30 minutes along with a photo of Danny.

I'm hoping that it's not going to dwell too much on the fallout from Danny's murder, I suspect it will. If I have to see the hound dog face of Andrew Buchan (Danny's father) in every episode it's probably beyond my capacity to control my anger.

It would have been much better to have located the case in Broadlands by the Sea leaving the Latimers well out of it.

16. Pastafarian

Episode two and I thought the investigation rolled on brilliantly, the vitriolic relationship between Tennant and Coleman, again superb. The investigation had some glaring questions surface, bringing doubts about the whole case.

The lulls in all this was due to the fallout from series 2 & 3 being visited, however it didn't derail the roller-coaster ride, even though we had 5 minutes about the finances of local newspapers!

17. Pastafarian

Am I the last man standing? Anyway up to episode 4 and this is the best series yet, if you were put off by series 2 you need to give this a chance.

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I will probably binge-watch all of Season 3 at some point. I did that with Happy Valley and am doing it now with 11.22.63.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Still watching each week. As good as season 1 and 2.

20. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Still watching, and still enjoying!

21. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Big step up in quality from season 2, but the "everyone is a suspect" malarkey does get a wear a bit thin. Watching Coleman and Tenant interactions is probably the best reason to watch, she in particular is great.

22. Pastafarian

Yeh that lawn must have been like Piccadilly Circus and if they interviewed the whole town not one would have a solid alibi. But what the hell their good cop bad cop is a hoot.

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Haven't seen earlier seasons, but I was saying much the same (everyone is guilty!). And I think the 2 cops are too empathetic. Their permanent look of concern and pain is getting me down.

24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Actually the Scandinavians do. Broadchurch holds a huge debt to, in particular, The Killing (Forbrydelsen), but it's not quite in the class of that show or The Bridge.

Etienne Hanratty and Deesky like this.
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Broadchurch is one of the best series I've seen in quite some time (along with the Killing and the Bridge). The photography, music and acting (especially the relationship between the two lead characters) is so wonderful. I've listened to both soundtrack albums numerous times. BTW, the US version (Gracepoint) does not come close. The one thing I generally like about UK dramas in general is the overall look of the characters. The US, imo, seems to "doll up" the actors a bit too much. Where as the UK shows seem to have a regular, working class look to them.

I really wish a season 4 was in the mix, however, looks like its not going to happen. Probably best to go out on top.

We are now starting Shetland. Taking a little longer to warm up to the characters.

four sticks and MRamble like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.