Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I love that they cast Ralph Fiennes for Alfred, yet they got Eddie Izzard to voice Voldemort. :biglaugh:

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that was... odd! I wonder if Fiennes just didn't want to do Voldemort...

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great popcorn flick don't be put off!!!

eddiel likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I enjoyed the first one so I'm in for this one too :)

I like popcorn flicks.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Brummie

Brummie Forum Resident

6. Brummie

Brummie Forum Resident

I think the Dunkirk film will be good , my grandad was there and the stories he told me were quite an eye opener.

budwhite and beccabear67 like this.
  7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Mixed reviews appearing for Kong:Skull Island. Metascore is currently 62. Rotten Tomatoes 81

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

11. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

lol. I love this review. Please review Episode VIII this way when it comes out. Matter of fact, there should be a dedicated thread for all your movie reviews.

Gumboo and mpayan like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

There is a new phrase for folks who go and see John Wick type movies:

"Dude, youve been sandlered"

;)

If Reeves and Sandler made a movie together we could export it to any enemy country and turn them to zombies. It is our secret weapon.

cwsiggy likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

RT is slipping.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I dunno... the Variety review of Skull Island is very positive:

The surprise is that “Skull Island” isn’t just 10 times as good as “Jurassic World”; it’s a rousing and smartly crafted primordial-beastie spectacular. The entire film takes place on Kong’s jungle island home (he doesn’t scale any skyscrapers — in New York or Dubai), and you could say that it’s more action-based and less ambitious than either of the “King Kong” remakes: the snarky, overblown, justly reviled 1976 knockoff or Peter Jackson’s good but still not good enough 2005 retread. Yet in its jungle-stranded B-movie way, “Kong: Skull Island” may come closer in spirit to the wide-eyed amazement of the original than either of those remakes.

Film Review: ‘Kong: Skull Island’

Old Rusty, Pete Puma and Tree of Life like this.
  15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Saw "Logan" last night. To the degree it's even worth comparing to other films of the "genre", this film blows away any other Disney-helmed "MCU" movie, blows away any of the other X-Men movies (and "Deadpool"), and blows away the current slate of DC films. It's only real competition in my mind in the modern "superhero" genre era would be the Nolan Batman trilogy, and even then really only one or two of those.

"Logan" isn't A++++ perfect or anything. But it has more emotion and feeling (and I'm not even an X-Men fan or anything) than every MCU movie combined. MCU movies leave me cold. The new DCEU movies leave me at least feeling something, even if it's only occasional admiration mixed with lots of "that could have been so good!" "Logan" has all of the action and violence that the franchise probably needs to be legit, but it also is stripped-down and as realistic as this sort of stuff can get.

I went to a Monday late afternoon showing that wasn't very packed, but I'll say this: I've NEVER been to a film, certainly of anything in the action/superhero genre, where people around me were reacting so powerfully. Several people behind me were audibly crying at the end. A guy in front of me was so pissed about what happens at the end that he literally threw his drink. Not pissed like he thought it was poorly done, but pissed because what they did at the end was so sad. As in, I guess he didn't feel he wanted to cry, so he had to lash out in anger. Weird and awkward, but powerful.

This movie completely disproves the idea that Fox needs to give their Marvel properties back to Disney/Marvel proper. Disney would *never* have made this movie, even keeping in mind what they did in "Rogue One." I'm not just talking about people dying. The entire "Logan" film is kind of anti-Marvel, perhaps on purpose.

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Going to see Logan today.

17. shokhead

It was excellent!

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Please try to be more concise.

20. shokhead

I liked it.

BadJack and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

well, mildly disappointing imo, but worth seeing if you like Giant Monster Movies. Not sure Ape-Pocalypse Now was the best conceptual approach as it constrains some of the characters to rather simplistic and unnecessary motivations. The 60's music really sounds contrived, especially when used to juice up transitional scenes when nothing is really happening. (was that The Stooges "Corner"? - never thought I'd hear them in a mainstream film) Kong is o.k. and well visualized, but still comes across as a bit CG-y to me. Not really overwhelming. His greatest impact is usually his entrances, and he does seem to shrink or bulk up a bit throughout the film. Hiddleston does remarkably little as the main guy, other than a quick pool room fight, and slicing some birds with a sword. Generally he walks around looking 'concerned'. All the characters seem a bit stiff in their reaction to the assortment of creatures, like they were facing the green screen and weren't quite sure how scared they should be. While the characters are cardboard, they are at least thick cardboard, credit to the Director for trying to imbue the enterprise with some humanity. Note especially the ending. I think there's just too many characters, and so they're each a bit diffused.

Since we all know what's coming next in the franchise, I hope it combines the doomy and atmospheric portent of Godzilla (which compensated for his on screen shyness) with the intensity of Kong's action, a balance between the two would be welcome.

If you're aware of how the Fukashima mess is evolving (the latest is radioactive boars inhibiting the cleanup), and will probably continue for awhile, I think the atomic age fears that inspired Godzilla are much more resonant, and actually relevant again.

Radioactive wild boars are running wild around Fukushima

4xoddic and Vidiot like this.
  23. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

If you go see Kong, be sure and stay for an after the credits scene.

24. Kong Excellent!

Seriously, it is a fun popcorn movie that keeps a good pace and never drags. Enough character development so when the good guys gets killed you cared -and when the creeps got theirs you were satisfied with the result. Special props to John C. Reilly who added both comedy relief and some pathos to the whole affair. I liked this one more than Jackson's creation as it is edited tightly with few wasted moments and the relationship between Kong and "the girl" was toned down and more effective for it. A mix of Apocalypse Now, Jurassic Park, King Kong and Moby Dick. Good fun!

Yes, I had to go back in the theater to look for a lost glove and accidently caught most of the post credit scene. I was not expecting one.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  25. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Missed the after credits scene (just looked it up) but I really liked Kong. My wife did too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.